Quantic Dream Old Man PS4 Demo 4K?

onQ

Veteran
I found a off screen shot of the PlayStation 4 Old Man Demo that was taken with a DSLR at 15MP at the PlayStation Meeting, 1st thing I noticed is that it shows a lot more detail than what we was able to see in the 1080P video & screen captures & I also notice that when I zoom the picture in to full size I'm not noticing any pixelation from the screen.

Maybe it's just a really good upscaler but it seems a little odd to me that this much detail can come from a 1080P source & still look good zoomed to 100% of a 15MP photo, which would make the 1080P source pixels about 6X bigger.

oldmanps4.jpg

oldmanps4cropped.jpg

oldmanps4+1080P.jpg

^^^ 1080P cropped from the 15MP image.

Edit: guess I'm not able to upload a 1080P? the website changed it to 1600x900

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are actually really good eyes ... if we can see more like that in next-gen, then a big win right there.

At that age and completely free of cataracts?

Boo, that's unrealistic!

Not sure you'd see pixels per se, the projectors they used at the event could have offered higher than 1080P rez with their own internal upscalers. Could have been cinema screen projectors for all we know. Also, shooting with a DSLR means you're resampling the image, losing some pixelation in the process.

Anyway, PS4 is not designed for 4K in gameplay, Sony's said that already. I seriously doubt they'd sneak 4K promo material in there just for the hell of it.

The source is blurred, so you won't see pixels. It's had Canon's noise reduction applied from the look of it, which further reduces detail. As Grall says, they're probably using a 4k cinema projector (Sony make them and are bound to have a couple lying around for the company to use ;)) which'll upscale.

Not sure you'd see pixels per se, the projectors they used at the event could have offered higher than 1080P rez with their own internal upscalers. Could have been cinema screen projectors for all we know. Also, shooting with a DSLR means you're resampling the image, losing some pixelation in the process.

Anyway, PS4 is not designed for 4K in gameplay, Sony's said that already. I seriously doubt they'd sneak 4K promo material in there just for the hell of it.

But the PlayStation 4 isn't complete & the demos was ran on Devkits.

I guess you're right about the DSLR I thought about that but it just seem like the level of detail might be above 1080P.

I guess you're right about the DSLR I thought about that but it just seem like the level of detail might be above 1080P.

Dont think the increase to 8gb gddr5 will have influence on this demo.

There's no reason for devs to target 4k on the devkits if the final hardware isn't going to support 4k games. And we know final hardware isn't up to supporting 4k games! Not even a Titan can run 3840 x 2160 next-gen games at decent framerates.

Prototype PS4 devkits aren't going to offer vastly higher rasterization and shading performance than finished production hardware. 4K at interactive framerates will be beyond those boxes. Even 1440P would make that hardware sweat blood...

"Might." "Seem." Those are weasel-words. Since you have no firm, concrete information that points towards this being beyond 1080P imagery, I'd do like Occam and assume that it isn't. ;)

There's no reason for devs to target 4k on the devkits if the final hardware isn't going to support 4k games. And we know final hardware isn't up to supporting 4k games! Not even a Titan can run 3840 x 2160 next-gen games at decent framerates.

Maybe it was just really good up-scaling but the detail all the way into the corners of the eyes seemed a little beyond 1080P, it might just be that the model was created at a really high resolution & the detail was beyond what I'm use to seeing from a 1080P source.

By the way I'm sure if someone made a tech demo for the Titan GPU it would be able to run at 4K.

720p shot of the same eyes : http://gizmodo.com/5985701/the-playstation-4-is-here. Same detail, same amount of blur.

I'm not sure what difference a 720P photo of the screen would make in this situation, it's the image on the screen that seems to be coming from a source above 1080P but I guess it's just a really good upscaler because it's scaled up by about 400% & on a really big screen but the image is still really clear with no signs of jagged edges or anything even when I zoom in really close.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do a lot of pixel peeping, and I gotta admit, I don't know what you're talking about, there doesn't seem to be any extraordinary detail in the "4k" image you posted. Even scaled down (nearest neighbor) to sub 1080p that the website does, there doesn't seem to be any detail "lost" compared to the 1:1 blur fest that is the original image.

We're likely seeing a 720p, or 1080p source image, projected, and then a DSLR picture taken with out of focus, which masks the pixelation.

It might be supersampled from a higher res to get really good AA for the demonstration... could be why you don't see jaggies or pixels.

I'm not sure what difference a 720P photo of the screen would make in this situation, it's the image on the screen that seems to be coming from a source above 1080P but I guess it's just a really good upscaler because it's scaled up by about 400% & on a really big screen but the image is still really clear with no signs of jagged edges or anything even when I zoom in really close.
Because it's blurred! You can't see jaggies on the eyelashes because they are blurred. You can't see polygons on the eye lid because its blurred. There's no way to add extra detail at 4k over the 1080p source or this 720p close up because the detail is already blurred to have lower frequency detail than resolution frequency would allow. Upscaling is just stretching the blurred pixels to be bigger blurs.

Boo, that's unrealistic!

Maybe that's Benjamin Button secret brother from another life. In reality quite young, but looks err.. :p

onQ: It would help to compare the 15mpixel photo from the DSLR with the screen captures... do you have them?

Boo, that's unrealistic!

Well yes, that was my first reaction too actually. But other than that, they're really good. ;) Or maybe he's just had a transplant? It's only the next logical step after we had a previous demo where we had a character that had various acting performances transplanted into his/her body. ;)

Still want Kara to become a game, or someone to steal that idea and make it into a good game. I liked the performance in there better than in Real Humans (which is still a pretty good show)

Maybe that's Benjamin Button secret brother from another life. In reality quite young, but looks err.. :p

onQ: It would help to compare the 15mpixel photo from the DSLR with the screen captures... do you have them?

creapy_old_PS4_man_tekgadg_2.png

Back