Crytek: "It's physically & financially impossible to go higher than the PS4 & Xbox ∞"

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Someone finally speaks the truth. Long life the consoles. I am particularly impressed with this candid statement and I completely agree with them.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/51086/crytek-c...ff-if-they-go-beyond-what-we-say-is-next-gen/

Crytek: console companies could die off if they "go beyond what we say is next gen"

"It's just physically and financially impossible to go higher."

Never one to pass up the opportunity for a grand statement, Crytek's founder and CEO Cevat Yerli has told OXM that it would be "physically and financially impossible" to release a next generation Xbox that exceeds Crytek's own estimated specifications.

"We have been saying CryEngine 3 is next-gen ready for years now," he told us in an interview published in our latest issue, which goes on sale Friday 15th March. "The reason I'm saying that is - and this is before we knew the specs, because three years ago nobody knew - it's impossible to go too far beyond what we say today is next gen because it would cost too much."

"It would be prohibitively expensive to launch a next-gen console beyond what we say is next gen," Yerli asserted. "It would potentially be a death knell for at least one company."

Crytek has constructed its vaunted CryEngine 3 - which is "three years ahead" of Epic's Unreal Engine 4, don't you know - in accordance with these predictions, without much in the way of manufacturer input.

"If you take in the cost of making a console, the parts of it, and say, 'okay, that has to be better than the best PC experience at that time plus two years later'," Yerli explained.

"And you want a package - a $200, $300, $400 package. It's just physically and financially impossible to go higher, so you have to bring it down again, and our guestimates have been quite right."

Swank, no? At the time, Yerli opined that "this kind of realism will be playing a big focus in the next generation. And higher resolution texturing, like in the film industry, where you have effectively no limits on texture sizes.

"In the games, you used to have 256 by 256 textures, those limits will go up to...pretty much as much memory as you have in your PC. The new texturing will become a big topic as well."

Also in April last year, Crytek's director of creative development Rasmus Hojengaard told the world that a pre-owned block in next generation consoles would be "absolutely awesome" from a "business perspective". Kaa-ching, etc.

Also in April last year, Crytek's director of creative development Rasmus Hojengaard told the world that a pre-owned block in next generation consoles would be "absolutely awesome" from a "business perspective". Kaa-ching, etc.
Ugh.

Riddle me this: If CE3 is so far ahead of UE4, then why aren't people adapting like UE4? It seems to me he is clueless why people import technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside for the shameful praise of its own engine I think that for once he is begin sensible.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could find "predictions" like this in every console generation.

PD. And remember the PC is dead!!!! :devilish:

in 3 years we are all going to want new consoles because once again pc gaming will be far beyond what the consoles can do. Heck it will be that way at launch.

Riddle me this: If CE3 is so far ahead of UE4, then why aren't people adapting like UE4? It seems to me he is clueless why people import technology.
Exactly. I'm sure UE4 probably has more licensees than CE1-3 combined.

I'm getting really sick of their insistence that they're the heartbeat of the industry, and that only what they say goes. They're not exactly the most successful company out there, and pretty games will only take you so far.

UE4's success isn't riding on graphical prowess. Epic's tools, reputation and install base are significant advantages.

The man is making a simple point. Basically there's no cheap hardware today that can ran stuff that CE3 doesn't support. Its not a very insightful observation though.

UE4's success isn't riding on graphical prowess. Epic's tools, reputation and install base are significant advantages.

The man is making a simple point. Basically there's no cheap hardware today that can ran stuff that CE3 doesn't support. Its not a very insightful observation though.

Let me tell you something, Cryengine isn't running on any reputation, the CEO just likes running his mouth. Nobody is using CE, certainly not in the capacity of UE. Their "graphical prowess" is like owning a fast Ferrari but you only choosing to drive it around a dense city. He's clueless on why people adapt technology, when he finally gets it, then he'll have an insightful observation.

What I got out of it was him saying "If we can't do it, then nobody can". He's the most arrogant **** in the industry.

What's the point in making the most graphically powerful engine in the world if no one will buy it? CE3's only advantage at this point is that it can run on current-gen consoles (if you can call what it does "running"). Once the new consoles hit the street, you'll see plenty of other games and engines that look just as good, if not far better, than CE3.

Epic's laughing all the way to the bank.

Maybe so, but I still really welcome the competition. I think it's great that UE exists, and UDK is very cool too (will Cry do something similar?), but I can't think of many UE games that I admired for its looks, and secretly hoping that CryEngine either can do better, or will push UE to do better (or other competitors)

A lot of people secretly want to see cryengine do better but developers already spending 10s of millions of dollars don't care. They want their cost curve to be lower, content creation to be cheaper, quicker and overall better support. CE accomplishes none of these goals from what I hear. With Samaritan being the goal of what can be achieved in real time on next gen, than nobody is going to care how much more you can get out of the hardware that's good enough.

What's with all the Crytek hate? It seemed pretty clear to me that he wasn't saying CE3 was superior to UE4, simply that it was equivilent (i.e. next gen/DX11 ready) and it was at that stage 3 years before UE4 turned up. Which sounds pretty accurate to me.

What's with all the Crytek hate? It seemed pretty clear to me that he wasn't saying CE3 was superior to UE4, simply that it was equivilent (i.e. next gen/DX11 ready) and it was at that stage 3 years before UE4 turned up. Which sounds pretty accurate to me.
I wasn't even referring to that, I hadn't even read it until now. I was referring to his statements that Crytek is apparently in sole command over what's next-gen and what isn't. Take this gem for example:

Arrogant Prick said:
"It would be prohibitively expensive to launch a next-gen console beyond what we say is next gen. It would potentially be a death knell for at least one company."

Sounds like they're actually warning Sony and Microsoft not to push too far beyond what Crytek says is possible.

My mention of UE4 is strictly from a business perspective (as I said, I hadn't read the article you're referring to when I made those statements). Cevat Yerli thinks of himself as a god among mortal game developers, and yet his company is struggling to actually sell their product to anyone, while devs are lining up outside Epic's offices to license UE4.

Yerli is like Microsoft in this way, he expects everyone else to think as he thinks just because he says "this is the way you need to think". My hate isn't for the company itself, I just have issue with the guy in charge. If he keeps this crap up for a few more years, we won't have to worry about Crytek's future, because it won't have one.

Sounds like they're actually warning Sony and Microsoft not to push too far beyond what Crytek says is possible.

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. I thik he's merely saying that Crytek predicted where technology within a given power envelope was going to be by this point and if the console manufacturers wanted to go beyond that prediction they would have had to spend crazy amounts of money to achieve it. That sounds like a pretty reasonable statement to me.

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. I thik he's merely saying that Crytek predicted where technology within a given power envelope was going to be by this point and if the console manufacturers wanted to go beyond that prediction they would have had to spend crazy amounts of money to achieve it. That sounds like a pretty reasonable statement to me.

+1

I've never read anything by him or anything specific from this company. So I have no preconceived opinion to cloud my thinking before reading that piece above. With that said I agree. He sounded reasonable & not an "arrogant prick" at all. The hate seems ill placed.

Tommy McClain

He is a sensible person. He gets a lot of hate for his bold statements, but he is not so completely out of touch in reality, he is just a salesman doing his job. As hyperbolic as he is most of the time, he is never to far off.

Back