How do you get new friends when your when your a grown up?

I'm not sure I understand how it can be both more relaxed and higher-pressure.

Better view with plants and couches in the boiler room. :)

Cheez, I'm afraid you've sown the seeds of misery and refuse to plant differently. I recommend you put the friends and "not lonely" ideas out of your head and concentrate on convincing yourself that money and shiny things you buy with it (whether or not you have time to use them) is where true happiness lies; friends, relationships, down time, etc. are all just for pussies who can't earn.

Does that help?

If you're earning a lot of money and are happy to keep going with the job for a few years, there is the potential to pretty much set yourself up for life financially. Cheez is still plenty young enough to make a new start doing something else in a few years time whilst being pretty much financially secure.

Note, this assumes he doesn't have ridiculous expenditures at present!

If you're earning a lot of money and are happy to keep going with the job for a few years, there is the potential to pretty much set yourself up for life financially. Cheez is still plenty young enough to make a new start doing something else in a few years time whilst being pretty much financially secure.

Or a heart attack (far more fatal when they happen younger), or get hit by a bus, etc.
The best laid plans...

It's his/your/my life, I just don't see the point of giving it up for something that may or may not happen later. I've made a couple choices like that in my life and regretted them. Youth makes us stupid - or, more kindly put, less wise.

But learning drinking is nice : no vomitting, no hangover and you're fine till you're starting to regret it (a couple years later or more)
Doesn't seem like a very good deal, all things considered. For example, liver cirrhosis is fatal, there's brain and nerve damage, and alcohol also increases the risk of a number of cancers quite significantly, even with very low intake levels. Alcohol is a dangerous poison. There's no genuine benefits from ingesting this poison.

it's fine until it becomes daily
Drinking quite moderately (two, three glasses of wine at a time) just a few times a week or regularly getting drunk once a week is quite enough to develop alcohol addiction for many people. You won't even know you're addicted until you stop drinking for a period of time. Drinking alcohol regularly is quite dangerous and should be avoided if you at all care about yourself.

I'm not sure I understand how it can be both more relaxed and higher-pressure.

Previously i was in the corporate finance division. As an analyst there you answer to directors waiting some perfect pitchbook at all hours of the night. Now i analyse bonds and tell investors what is good and what is not! Higher pressure because if I make wrong recommendations everybody in the market will now, but more relaxed because I don't have to use the 10 hours after 6 pm in making some stupid pitch book be perfect. I can also utilize my awesome math skills more.

On the plus side, I have really awesome PowerPoint skills now. Unless you've never seen a pitchbook from a high end investment bank you would be amazed that such things could be done in PowerPoint. All the big consultancy houses look like they employ kindergarten people in comparison :)

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to work in the m&a office in new York where analyst just tell the PowerPoint factory what they need.

In any case, I hope it will result in some more free Ine which I can use to get some friends :)

Gonna try to reconnect with old friends and also find some new ones, perhaps through a spots club :)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the plus side, I have really awesome PowerPoint skills now. Unless you've never seen a pitchbook from a high end investment bank it would blow your mind :p
Oooh, I'd love to pit you against my 13 year old daughter who fell in love with PP during a school project many years ago! :D

Oooh, I'd love to pit you against my 13 year old daughter who fell in love with PP during a school project many years ago! :D

Sadly I cannot share any of my work as its all highly confidential shiet with hostile takeovers, IPO plans etc. but I would say BRING IT!!!

These directors are able to spot a double space across 100 meters in arial 8 font

Previously i answered to directors waiting some perfect pitchbook at all hours of the night. Now i analyse bonds and tell investors what is good and what is not! Higher pressure because if I make wrong recommendations everybody in the market will now, but more relaxed because I don't have to use the 10 hours after 6 pm in making some stupid pitch book be perfect. I can also utilize my awesome math skills more.

On the plus side, I have really awesome PowerPoint skills now. Unless you've never seen a pitchbook from a high end investment bank you would be amazed that such things could be done in PowerPoint. All the big consultancy houses look like they employ kindergarten people in comparison :)

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to work in the m&a office in new York where analyst just tell the PowerPoint factory what they need.

In any case, I hope it will result in some more free Ine which I can use to get some friends :)

Gonna try to reconnect with old friends and also find some new ones, perhaps through a spots club :)

OK, I see: less palpable tension, but higher stakes.

I do have one more question, however: do you really love the job, or are you just addicted to it?

Sadly I cannot share any of my work as its all highly confidential shiet with hostile takeovers, IPO plans etc. but I would say BRING IT!!!

These directors are able to spot a double space across 100 meters in arial 8 font
Wow, your audience is knowledgeable/picky? That raises the stakes some, she's used to impressing the hell out of what are basically noobs. :)

Just don't let it stress you out, life's too short.

LOL I like to devise silly plans about not working, but to do it the right way, i.e. living on the interests, usually means being a miser.
e.g. you might be the owner of a one or two bedroom flat and living in it, and live on $10k a year (after property tax, healthcare plan) thanks to $500k you have sitting at the bank.

I thought all the kids had moved on to prezi.com? They sure have here. And I personally wish Powerpoint worked like that more ...

I thought all the kids had moved on to prezi.com? They sure have here. And I personally wish Powerpoint worked like that more ...
No clue what prezi.com is, but the schools ain't exactly the latest with computer education. They just upgraded from XP to Win 7 last week... :???:

To the OP, friends can be over-rated. I'd really rather have one good friend than a dozen craptacular ones. I'm probably the wrong guy to ask though, I really do make friends scary easy. :oops:

Do you live in Amsterdam :D

No! I'm just an avid coffee drinker. The store behind my house has become almost a second home to me.

John Reynolds said:
That reminds me of a T-shirt I had made back in 87 that read "res firma mitescere nescit" that I'd wear in bars.

What's that from, anyway? I'm not familiar with that quote.

I think it means
A firm resolve does not know how to weaken
I did latin at school, got knows why Ive never met anyone who has latin as their first language

I think it means
A firm resolve does not know how to weaken
I did latin at school, got knows why Ive never met anyone who has latin as their first language

Or in Midwest Ohio: "once you've got it up, keep it up". I stole it from a little viewed Costner movie, American Flyer.

The sad thing is that my chest was so big back then that it was hard to read the T-shirt. Brilliant plan: work out to be muscular to increase my odds of getting laid, make a T-shirt to help spur conversation when some college bleach blond would inevitably ask what it meant, but the aforementioned muscles made it hard to read.

You missed out on a top job opportunity a couple of days ago then.

Wanted: High-profile spiritual leader of a global religious movement, must be able to prattle on in Latin. Other talents considered.

Doesn't seem like a very good deal, all things considered. For example, liver cirrhosis is fatal, there's brain and nerve damage, and alcohol also increases the risk of a number of cancers quite significantly, even with very low intake levels. Alcohol is a dangerous poison. There's no genuine benefits from ingesting this poison.

Drinking quite moderately (two, three glasses of wine at a time) just a few times a week or regularly getting drunk once a week is quite enough to develop alcohol addiction for many people. You won't even know you're addicted until you stop drinking for a period of time. Drinking alcohol regularly is quite dangerous and should be avoided if you at all care about yourself.

I lost a good friend this weekend to drink. He was only 43 but a hard drinker most of his life. He died from liver failure. Survived by his wife and three children.

Back