[PC] Tomb Raider 2013

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
I've been keeping an eye on this one. I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since the first two on Playstation, but I'm pretty intrigued by the latest installment. It went gold recently and will be arriving on PC March 5th. Boasting an open world, skill system, salvaging/item upgrade system, and pretty nifty graphics, I'm thinking about delving back into Lara Croft's world.

Some reviews are already up, and it's receiving good reviews.

I've been keeping an eye on this one. I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since the first two on Playstation, but I'm pretty intrigued by the latest installment. It went gold recently and will be arriving on PC March 5th. Boasting an open world, skill system, salvaging/item upgrade system, and pretty nifty graphics, I'm thinking about delving back into Lara Croft's world.

Some reviews are already up, and it's receiving good reviews.

The game is good, but you won't delve back into Lara Croft's world. It's not Tomb Raider anymore, it's something different... :cry:

The game is good, but you won't delve back into Lara Croft's world. It's not Tomb Raider anymore, it's something different... :cry:

I also read somewhere it's fairly short, like 12-15 hours which is a little unsettling. I haven't touched any of the games in the series for years. This one has my attention though, for a few reasons.

I don't mind shorter games nowadays. So it's open world with a skill system? That's definitely a direction change for a Tomb Raider game.

It's certainly one I'm looking forward to seeing in action and benchmarks for (i'd like to be able to max it out with TressFX if possible), but doubt it would be a day one purchase for me.

I don't mind shorter games nowadays. So it's open world with a skill system? That's definitely a direction change for a Tomb Raider game.

It's certainly one I'm looking forward to seeing in action and benchmarks for (i'd like to be able to max it out with TressFX if possible), but doubt it would be a day one purchase for me.

There's a series of videos on youtube showcasing elements of the game. This one gives a brief explanation of the skills:

Interesting. At least there is something other than platforming puzzles and gunfights. I wonder if any reviews will give info on how much of the gameplay is QTE....

I'm also watching that one closely, it's from Crystal Dynamics, my hopes are rather high...

Still waiting for the PC reviews to hit (console reviews hit on Monday). At least we get AMD's new hair tech, that's a plus. Also want to see how well it works with 3D Vision.

PC reviews will probably hit when the game is already out. At least we didn't get any sort of preview or review codes delivered to our offices. Will probably have to activate the thing on Steam just like everybody else.
As Nixxes is doing all the non Xbox360 versions, the PC version is more than likely gonna be just fine. (Nixxes certainly did a great job with the PS3 version, which is traditionally the biggest multi-platform hurdle)

AMD already said the PC version have hair physics. Cant wait to test how taxing is that and how wonderful is that in movement :D

hopefully the PC version suport amd3d.

I have a 570, but whether I'm gonna use it or not depends mostly about how out of place it looks when other characters are around.

tombraider2013-03-041afuhr.png

tombraider2013-03-041aluxe.png

iboqtfW6zAitwG.png

Looks like amd are the go to guys when you need dx11 devrel

Where did that come from based on that interview? You're making it sound as though AMD are the penultimate DX11 coders and Nvidia couldn't apply decent shadows to swiss cheese.

Very old commercial, that one (still has the February release date). And yes, it's a commercial. Any "interview" that starts with the company logo is not an interview. They're telling us exactly what we want to hear, nothing more. And I didn't hear any questions being asked.

Back on topic, since this is a Tomb Raider thread and not a Bioshock thread, early reports say that TressFX has a noticeable hit on performance, and doesn't actually work as well as it looks in their stills (particularly with physics). Pretty, but not realistic, and not optimized in any way. Most of the players I've seen are turning it off.

early reports say that TressFX has a noticeable hit on performance, and doesn't actually work as well as it looks in their stills (particularly with physics). Pretty, but not realistic, and not optimized in any way. Most of the players I've seen are turning it off.
I don't see how you can come to the conclusion it's not optimized in any way.

Back