Capcom's "Panta Rhei" engine

I'm quite surprised by Capcom, for a Japanese studio to have the best tech at the announcement is something.

However, do we know for sure it was running on PS4? Or was this running on high end PC hardware?

Translator on the conference mentioned that the presentation is "running on a PS4". You can find video of that on YT.

I'm quite surprised by Capcom, for a Japanese studio to have the best tech at the announcement is something.

However, do we know for sure it was running on PS4? Or was this running on high end PC hardware?

Since when does the PS4 actually exist outside of a dev kit? And Capcom had some really amazing looking stuff early this gen too. Dead Rising and Lost Planet were both jaw dropping early on. ;)

Since when does the PS4 actually exist outside of a dev kit? And Capcom had some really amazing looking stuff early this gen too. Dead Rising and Lost Planet were both jaw dropping early on. ;)

Final silicon for the dev kits is out afaik, so its the release console in a different box.

You know, now that I think about it, maybe it's not too surprising Capcom has such nice fluid dynamics in their PR engine. Ono's university graduate work was focused on fluid simulation rendering. I wouldn't be surprised if after he moved on to work at Capcom he always kept up with the latest techniques. And given his position at Capcom these days, I wouldn't be surprised if he had some hand in shaping their next framework/engine. It also wouldn't be surprising that, given all this, he'd be the one to introduce the new engine.

Take notice Epic Games... that is how you demo new engine. With cinematic sequence that take our breaths away. It looks magnificent.

The UE3 Samaritan demo and UE4 Elemental demo both very much are cinematic sequences, don't you think ;)?

Glorious! :oops:

It looks quite nice at times.

But i'm wondering if most of what is shown in that trailer actually is representative of gameplay at all.

Because, the little part between 01:16 min and 01:23 min (which very much looks like gameplay) seems to look quite a bit worse compared to the rest of the video IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could very well be gameplay. It's because it's presented using cinematic camera angles that we think it isn't.

At 1:16 he's running and stops and stumbles because the dragon bumrushed him, which could easily be a scripted or triggered moment in any game nowadays. Same with the other moment where he's cowering behind the rock hiding from the flames with a 'scared' animation. The difference is the quality and length of the anims, and how they can be blended into one another.

Anyone remember the Final Fantasy tech demo on PS3, which was produced 'in a relatively short amount of time'? Still took SE an age to release anything, and they never finished FFXIII Vs. I think the real thing meaning here is, "we've been working on this engine on PC for ages and could port it across to PS4 pretty easily. The tools we've already got allowed us to string together some assets to make a movie."

Why compare SE's output to Capcom's?

SE's Crystal tools was the first time they ever made their own inhouse engine intended for HD and dexterity as opposed to making a single purpose engine for every single game. And they admitted it was a nightmare based on the fact that they were designing the engine as they were working on XIII, making the engine fit to what they wanted to do with the game instead of the other way around, hence crippling their output for the rest of the gen(XIV1.0, XIII-2, XIII-3 ect)

In comparison, we have Capcom who have already invested heavily in making multi purpose engines like MT Framework and the Taito board system, which work well and have served their purposes in multiple games.

Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Why compare SE's output to Capcom's?

SE's Crystal tools was the first time they ever made their own inhouse engine intended for HD and dexterity as opposed to making a single purpose engine for every single game. And they admitted it was a nightmare based on the fact that they were designing the engine as they were working on XIII, making the engine fit to what they wanted to do with the game instead of the other way around, hence crippling their output for the rest of the gen(XIV1.0, XIII-2, XIII-3 ect)

In comparison, we have Capcom who have already invested heavily in making multi purpose engines like MT Framework and the Taito board system, which work well and have served their purposes in multiple games.

Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Square-Enix also has to deal with non-Sony console hardware for the first time in over a decade, as well as simultaneous multi-platform game development which I'm sure added to the difficulty. My hope is they won't make the same mistake again with the transition to the PS4 and Xbox 720.

There's no doubt in my mind it's real-time, in-engine; albeit, not gameplay.

It looks very impressive in gifs or low/medium res videos on a monitor because the the rough patches are naturally dithered away.

And while it remains very impressive in full screen in 720p/1080p there's definitely some artifacting such as DOF issues, haloing, a touch of aliasing etc.

Back