Far texture flickering ..

Sometimes in the distance of some scenes , certain textures flicker regularly , that happens independent of the AF or texture resolution setting used .. it is constant in many view angles , and could disappear when getting close to it.

I know this is probably a bug in the game , but I was wondering what could have caused it ? insufficient mip-map samples ?

I have a near pathetic sample of this problem , it doesn't closely represent the issue , but it is similar , notice the base of the impaler :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wyTtksDpTVg#t=33s

Last edited by a moderator:
Some explanations reveal that these are z-fighting issues which happens where overlapping textures of equal z-buffer values flicker into view alternately .. it sounds reasonable , but I am not sure .

Probably Z-precision related, from what you describe. It happens in some games, usually with quite far view distances, and typically involving things like lakes and such that have two parallel surfaces close together where the water and lake bottom polygons will flicker in and out, or clip through one another, often in a feather-like distortion-pattern.

The issue in the ME video is massive shadow map fail, but I agree in general it's mostly z-fighting. There's really no excuse for these days, but yeah.

Back