TressFX: A new frontier of Realism in PC gaming

Yep I think that's the difference. On AMD hardware the hit is similar but still results in playable frame rates because baseline performance is higher.
The Depth of Field effect (enabled in Ultra settings) is also DirectCompute based.

Hmm, how easily tressfx is implemented on games? i mean unofficially, modular, by mod.

on skyrim, people seems able to make static thing to have their own custom physics albeit in havok, not tressfx.

So... mod the Tomb Raider to enable tress on everyone?
but their files seems pakced with custom packing.

Hmm, how easily tressfx is implemented on games? i mean unofficially, modular, by mod.

on skyrim, people seems able to make static thing to have their own custom physics albeit in havok, not tressfx.

So... mod the Tomb Raider to enable tress on everyone?
but their files seems pakced with custom packing.

Considering the performance hit at the moment, I doubt modding it to all chars is feasible

CFX7970 stock ( 1050mhz/1500mhz Cat 13.2 b7 ) - 2600K@4.5ghz - DDR@2133mhz C10

All test Ultimate settings: 1920x1080p

- TFX on - DOF on - FXAA

- TFX on - DOF on - SSA2x

- TFX on - DOF on - SSA4x

sweet spot = SSA 2x

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it that much of a taboo to know if there are plans about making TressFX possible to leverage to a secondary GPU?

Is it that much of a taboo to know if there are plans about making TressFX possible to leverage to a secondary GPU?

Its tied to developpers, but then they will need to put an option for it ( use main gpu, 2 gpu, or on the second gpu only ).

its not a sdk like PhysX who comme over the top of the game engine, i belive they include it in the game engine.. by using directcompute.

Maybe not the best example, but it is like DOF computing by the gpu.

New Tomb Raider patch has these as part of the fixes:

- Cost of TressFX reduced, especially in combination with SSAA.
- TressFX memory usage reduced for AMD Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround setups.
- TressFX simulation and graphical quality improvements.

Good timing for me, as I'm only about 1/2 way through the game. As much as I'm enjoying TR, I doubt I'll replay it so it's good that the patch came before I finished. The game just has too many frustrating moments with the timed jump, river sequences, timed button press events that kills desire for a second go around.

New Tomb Raider patch has these as part of the fixes:

- Cost of TressFX reduced, especially in combination with SSAA.
- TressFX memory usage reduced for AMD Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround setups.
- TressFX simulation and graphical quality improvements.

Good timing for me, as I'm only about 1/2 way through the game. As much as I'm enjoying TR, I doubt I'll replay it so it's good that the patch came before I finished. The game just has too many frustrating moments with the timed jump, river sequences, timed button press events that kills desire for a second go around.

I need admit some of thoses QTE come at a "bad " moment,.. they have over abuse of the situation where all is falling down around you ( the bridges parts, and then on the back when you try rejoin the hover ) etc.. but in reality, i have redo some parts allready.. then you know what happend, and you just do it.. its more like interactive cutscenes, with movies in mind.

I dont like DLC, but i will really like they do some Addon even in the form of a DLC for add a bit of the adventure. Maybe more real "Tomb exploration" ala TombRaider 1 and 2.

I see the same lack of understanding about many things Direct Compute related on gaming forums. They, like the person a few posts above think TressFX is a tesselation trick :rolleyes:

Good thing AMD is in all next gen consoles. It will be the perfect platform to make compute in games more prevalent than it is today.

As was pointed out on The Tech Report, someone else needs some TressFX love:

ati-ruby1.jpg

Wink, wink, AMD!

Sorry, what??

http://www.hardware.fr/news/13012/gdc-radeon-hd-7990-amd-approche.html

Back