TressFX: A new frontier of Realism in PC gaming

You need three things to generate high-quality hair rendering:
* Anti-Aliasing
* Self-Shadowing
* Translucency sorting
Without those three elements you will not manage to get a high-quality next-gen implementation. OIT is essential for the quality of the end-results. Techniques relying on "opaque" hair strands (e.g. tessellated lines with MSAA) look terribly lacking in quality.

Hair/clothing/gear clipping is a major distraction in RPGs ... and the current solution of just removing choices is lackluster.

So yeah they need collision detection and IK.

I see, I thought you meant a proper solution should not do colision detection, which would be crazy, and obviously was not what you meant, so I asked, but I still don't fully get your point. Yes, we need better colision detection for things like cloth hair and the rest of the environment to avoid all the clipping that is so common in today's games, I completely agree with that. But you lost me when you said current solution is removing choices... What specifically is this current solution you are talking about? Is that regarding TressFX system? I couldn't find material with full description of how it works so far...

What specifically is this current solution you are talking about?
Pre-determine as much as possible and offline animate it ... the less models with the less variation in gear/hairstyles/etc you have to do it for the easier it gets, so offer less choice ...

I don't understand why they are showing still images instead of moving video. Stills must be the least effective and least impressive way of showing this kind of thing off. Unless of course it actually looks bad when in motion and they don't want people to see that. There's no point rendering great looking hair that doesn't move correctly and ruins the aim of life-like hair.

This looks to be potentially very impressive. I'm now tempted to pick up this game where I wasn't before as it's featuring something new and never done before in games.

Hair has always bothered me in games, so this is even more interesting from a game-playing aspect.

Regards,
SB

looks much nicer then hair in most videogames however without videos istead of stills it's hard to tell if it's interacting at all physcially or just precanned movements. of more realistic looking hair.

Of course, but it can't look worse than what we already have, in theory.

I hope they also don't have it clipping into things like happens with current hair techniques, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

Regards,
SB

It's supposed to fully react with wind, head movements, etc., and to collide with Lara's body as well as other strands of hair.

I'd like to see it collide and not clip into world geometry as well (tree's, walls, etc.). This bit is the one I'm not holding my breath for considering they still can't make weapons you are holding not clip into geometry. :)

Regards,
SB

I'd love for it to interactact with rain etc. But yeah lets get hair that acts like dry hair before we get our hopes up about it getting wet and acting properly there.

Back