Is UE4 indicative of the sacrifices devs will have to make on consoles next gen?

Why do you seem to be so defensive when it comes to console vs PC? No one here seems to be overly optimistic of what is or will be capable on the PS4, but you keep claiming superiority on high-end PCs.

Why do you seem to be so defensive when it comes to console vs PC? No one here seems to be overly optimistic of what is or will be capable on the PS4, but you keep claiming superiority on high-end PCs.

I'm not, I just find it funny as hell that the specs are out, the GPU is roughly what we expected it to be and now people act a little surprised and blame stupid things like memory when some short falls are high lighted rather then just accepting the obvious.

This is the first time in console history that they've not released with the absolute best of the best so of course they'll be lacking compared to PC.

And high end PC's are superior, that's just fact.

One would think Epic would fake them also into the demo instead of not having them at all.

Maybe they wanted to give an accurate look of what could be expected?

The textures should get better with the extra memory but all the downgrades to the lighting, SSAO and GI I can't see being added to the same quality compared to what was shown months ago in the 680.

One would think Epic would fake them also into the demo instead of not having them at all.

UE4 is all about not faking things. Hence all the hype around real-time global illumination. I don't know what happened with that demo but that's certainly not representative of peak quality.

I can't wait to see what talented devs like Naughty Dog do with the new consoles. It's going to be a treat.

Att
UE4 is all about not faking things. Hence all the hype around real-time global illumination. I don't know what happened with that demo but that's certainly not representative of peak quality.

I can't wait to see what talented devs like Naughty Dog do with the new consoles. It's going to be a treat.

Well,if they are unable to make realtime things better have them at least baked or they wont sell a unit because it will look worse that UE3.Anyway repi will wow us with Battlefield 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not, I just find it funny as hell that the specs are out, the GPU is roughly what we expected it to be and now people act a little surprised and blame stupid things like memory when some short falls are high lighted rather then just accepting the obvious.

This is the first time in console history that they've not released with the absolute best of the best so of course they'll be lacking compared to PC.

And high end PC's are superior, that's just fact.
The PS3 didn't really launch with the best of the best either... Nvidia 8800s were already available by the time the PS3 launched. And weren't PC games already using close to 1GB of RAM already? The GPU and CPU in the PS4 may not be all that impressive, but 8GB of GDDR5 surely is. The fact that developers can work closer to the metal and that console games will target lower resolutions and framerates than most high-end PC gamers will be running at, I don't find it hard to believe that the PS4 will be capable of producing visuals close to a high-end PC for a few years. I don't think anyone here really thinks that the PS4 will be able to match a high-end PC, but I think most agree that the PS4 is more capable than what the UE4 demo showed, and it's probably due to a lack of optimization and time... I don't think it's indicative of how UE4 will run on the PS4. There's no need to defend the fact that high-end PCs are capable of more... that should be obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
And?

The original spec PS4 had 4Gb so that would be the same as a PC with a 2Gb GTX680 and 2Gb system RAM.

I seriously, seriously doubt that this demo uses over 2Gb of main RAM, especially as the demo might not even be 64bit.

The GTX680 is just a much much faster GPU then what's inside PS4 and that's what the problem is, not lack of memory :rolleyes:

Honestly you have no clue on what you are talking about. This demo was created/running on approximation hardware - not final dev/PS4 silicon. Also, the demo was created within a constrained timeframe for showing. Just for sh**s and giggles, the demo only used 27-29% of the AH resources - unoptimized. Before you ask, there is no link, I am the link.

The PS3 didn't really launch with the best of the best either. Nvidia 8800's were already available by the time the PS3 was launched; and weren't games already using close to 1GB of RAM already? The GPU and CPU in the PS4 may not be all that impressive, but 8GB of GDDR5 surely is.

I don't think anyone here really thinks that the PS4 will be able to match a high-end PC, but I think most agree that the PS4 is more capable than what the UE4 demo showed.

PS3 was out before the 8800's hit...

And capable being the word as we don't know exactly what UE4 is doing and what exactly PS4's GPU is.

The effects that seem to be missing are not exactly 'light' things to process and they have been removed simply because there's not enough processing power to handle them.

We also don't know how much optimisation was done on the GTX680, did EPIC just use generic PC code with hardly any optimisation or did they actually do some Keplar architecture optimisations, if they did then that would explain why things had to be taken out.

Honestly you have no clue on what you are talking about. This demo was created/running on approximation hardware - not final dev/PS4 silicon. Also, the demo was created within a constrained timeframe for showing. Just for sh**s and giggles, the demo only used 27-29% of the AH resources - unoptimized. Before you ask, there is no link, I am the link.

And you only have 3 posts and judging by the sheer bullshit and wild claims in your post meen your just an angry fan boy who registered just let out a bit of rage.

Was it done in the 3 weeks between anouncement and the meeting? If so then I'm quiet impressed.

Well,if they are unable to make realtime things better have them at least baked or they wont sell a unit because it will look worse that UE3.Anyway repi will wow us with Battlefield 4.

Why are you assuming this demo is representative of what the engine can or can't do on next gen consoles?

I doubt Epic simply threw it together like that. I doubt they would be releasing a real time demo at the announcement of the Ps4 and think it was nothing, knowing you'd have trolls all over the internet with the internet memes: "omg diminishing returns".

This just a realization that yea, this is a tool set that needs to be functional on multiple devices and here's how the average mutli plat title will look like using your technology. It's probably more of sign Microsoft is dropping the ball on the tech side of their machine than being indicative of how "omg next gen here" the Ps4 is. It's not like Naughty Dog got on stage and underwhelmed everyone.

Back