Knack [PS4]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
My biggest frustration with the game is squarely focused on the checkpoint placement. The game's levels, battles in particular, are generally broken into nice bite sized chunks/section. Before each section there is also, normally, Sun Stone available in some quantity so that in a worse case scenario you can Super Move your way through a section after repeating it multiple times. The current checkpoint system, however, does not line up with those bite sized chunks (at least on normal difficulty). Which means on more than a few occasions I've found myself going through 3 or 4 battle sections repeatedly just to get a chance to try again on a proceeding section where I originally died. It's annoying when the lead up sections are fairly easy, and quite frustrating when those previous sections are challenging.

Yep, this is one of the first things I realized when playing the demo. The death penalty may be high if the player needs to backtrack too often.

That's one of the reasons Cerny said this is a difficult game.

Y20saSx.jpg

Shinies !

McTnvb0.jpg

Core gameply seems like a mixture between the old Crash and Spyro games.

If anyone who has already played the game can confirm this, I'll immediately make sure to add Knack to my pre-order basket for 29th November without even trying a demo :)

Lots of reviewers seem to criticise Knack's story, characters, and repetitiveness - but it looks like they just don't "get" the genre ...

Game seems fun, but during GiantBomb's quicklook, I discovered it had some really horrible music - and decided it's not going to be bought until Sony get a media-player and I can put some great music in the background. :-/

I usually prefer original game-music in my games, but in some cases whenm I don't like it at all and can't ignore it, it's good to change.. I had the same problem with Army Corpse of Hell on Vita - it seemed like a really fun game, but no way I were going to sit playing that with nonstop hardcore heavy rock for hour after hour.
As soon as I got tired of the music, I loaded up some good old mp3-converted music on the background-mediaplayer from various Amiga-games like Hired Guns, and some older Wipeout-PC tunes and it were very fun again. :)

Game seems fun, but during GiantBomb's quicklook, I discovered it had some really horrible music - and decided it's not going to be bought until Sony get a media-player and I can put some great music in the background. :-/

I usually prefer original game-music in my games, but in some cases whenm I don't like it at all and can't ignore it, it's good to change.. I had the same problem with Army Corpse of Hell on Vita - it seemed like a really fun game, but no way I were going to sit playing that with nonstop hardcore heavy rock for hour after hour.
As soon as I got tired of the music, I loaded up some good old mp3-converted music on the background-mediaplayer from various Amiga-games like Hired Guns, and some older Wipeout-PC tunes and it were very fun again. :)
One of my favourite features on the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 was adding your own music to games, copying them to the HD of your console. I stopped using that feature as new versions of the Xbox 360 dashboard were released, it didn't look as a very straightforward feature ever since.

Good memories. I even used this feature in games with great music like Project Gotham Racing 2.

One of my favourite features on the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 was adding your own music to games, copying them to the HD of your console. I stopped using that feature as new versions of the Xbox 360 dashboard were released, it didn't look as a very straightforward feature ever since.

Good memories. I even used this feature in games with great music like Project Gotham Racing 2.

Yeah, old times with Quake,NFS and UT always had Winamp playing in the BG. Had special playlists for my games :D ! Hoping to do that again on my ps4, frankly, as I have noticed that I don't really listen to sounds in MP games these days and still do fine, which I found weird as , well, people are really pay attention to footsteps to get a jump in MP games. These days I find myself playing BF4 or Ghosts totally without sound, basically when I let my niece watch with me. We just have fun chats and make jokes about what is happening.
Waiting for the PS4 mp3 functionality to make a comeback !

I wish I could switch to easy, this game is kicking my butt. It doesn't help that it crashes and makes me restart from start of the chapter.

I wish I could switch to easy, this game is kicking my butt. It doesn't help that it crashes and makes me restart from start of the chapter.
Some gamers seem to have freezing issues with the Knack 1.01 patch. The bug seems to be related to playing and saving game without the patch, then installed the patch later.

I only played with the patch and finished the game 4 times, not freezing once.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/704522-knack/67906047
http://ps3trophies.com/forums/knack/37731-knack-freezing-issues.html

Some gamers seem to have freezing issues with the Knack 1.01 patch. The bug seems to be related to playing and saving game without the patch, then installed the patch later.

I only played with the patch and finished the game 4 times, not freezing once.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/704522-knack/67906047
http://ps3trophies.com/forums/knack/37731-knack-freezing-issues.html

So besides restarting I guess I can hope for another patch? My son has not froze as far as I know, he is on chapter 8. I locked up twice in chapter 3 alone,wtf?

So besides restarting I guess I can hope for another patch? My son has not froze as far as I know, he is on chapter 8. I locked up twice in chapter 3 alone,wtf?
Have you tried the temporary fixes to keep using this save game?

- Playing logged off seems to avoid the bug (could be a bug in the relics sharing feature)

- Uninstalling 1.01 was also suggested to be working

I noticed that with the iOS game (which is pretty silly match 3) you can pre-unlock a bunch of collectibles in the game. I heard some reviewers complain that at the end of the game they had a lot of 4/5 ... that could make sense, as it seems this iOS game can give you 1/5 for a lot of the collectibles ...

You finished it ?
How's the game in default difficulty ?

How long to beat it ?
yep, platinum! :D

Normal is not a lot easier than Hard, it just allows more margin for errors, some timings are slower, platforms move slower etc... That game is difficult, period. :LOL: A few segments can be passed "hack-and-slash" which doesn't work on Hard. The most difficult parts are where there's something killing you in one blow, and these are almost equal between Normal and Hard. When you die it's always your fault, you know it a second before you die "I shouldn't have jumped now... splat". I still died often on chapter 1 on Hard after 4 games, so the game doesn't start too easy to get a lot harder later on like most games.

I think hard was already close enough to the limits of my capabilities, so I gave up trying to do the very hard mode with the "basic knack" character, and I waited until I unlocked the diamond character. My main game was 45 hours, it was mostly to get all crystals. Then a 10 hours game on Very Hard with Diamond Knack it was easier than Hard. It plays quite differently, platforming parts are faster and quick timings, mobs fire rate is also increased a lot, AI is better, mobs evade like crazy you have to dance around, it was my favorite game.

I needed the guide to get my missing "opened all chests". So I did a game on Easy with diamond knack in one evening, it was just candy.

About the 4/5... it's about rarity, it has nothing to do with the mobile app game. Statistically you'll get the first parts of each gadgets (not rare), but since you can't get the same part twice, once you're at 4/5 on each you'll get all the remaining rare parts in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game really is a lot of fun. It's a nice throwback to the old Crash Bandicoot games.

Just got my first gadget, the Combo Meter. It's nice a addition because it rewards playing well with doing more damage. Collecting all the gadgets seems like it might take while.

How long is this game anyway? I feel like I've been playing for hours and I'm only at chapter 8. That's on normalmode. The game is quite a challenge.

Back