inFAMOUS Second Son [PS4]

Impressive? I think thats a standard feature set for any current gen only title. I think Infamous looks quite great, but it does not look outstanding to me. I expect similar fidelity and feature set in every game this gen at the lowest.
Good/great, but not impressive.
Considering it's a launch window game and it's open world with the IQ that it has, I think that it is very impressive. People are saying the framerate is smooth too. All being said, this is the most impressive looking launch window game I've seen. Nothing on PS3/360 has even come close to impressing me this much, this early. But that's just me.

Well, just for kicks I checked my local Amazon if there's a PS4 bundle with the game available and all I see is that the PS4 is not available or only for overblown prices from small resellers trying to rob people.

Considering it's a launch window game and it's open world with the IQ that it has, I think that it is very impressive. People are saying the framerate is smooth too. All being said, this is the most impressive looking launch window game I've seen. Nothing on PS3/360 has even come close to impressing me this much, this early. But that's just me.

IQ is standard 1080p with SMAA T2x, its baseline for me and should be for devs. 1080p and FXAA should be killed with fire and anything less it mediocre, bad to awful.
Feature set of this game is similar to KZ:SF and Ryse, but it does not go beyond in any way.
Open World in current engines is mostly about assets streaming management. Infamous does not have fidelity of more linear levels of other games, so open world is not big advantage in my opinion in general tech comparison. I would more count the fast pace of combat and movement than the whole open world area as an advantage for Infamous.
Infamous would be "very impressive" to me if post processing wouldnt be 1/4 res, quality of shadows would be good, not low res as it is, with LoD cutting shadows 10 meters from camera and lack of any shadows from static light sources in the levels. And game would feature PoM, which it severely lacks
There is no physics simulation of any kind in this game, nor there is any new technique implemented not seen before.
So nope, its not very impressive to me. Its good and even great, but not impressive.

Ryse has vegetation, PoM and PADM, wind and tons of cloth/armor physics and joint tech, new GI probes, highest quality post-processing from any game ever released, some tessellated geometry, tessellated water with physics and big battles with even 80+ units on the screen, but its 900p and it drops frames
KZ:SF has quite amazing Area Lights tech and volumetrics for every lights [even though 1/4 res] and quite high poly count in LOD0 objects, PoM on some surfaces, very high quality shaders, great 3D sound tech and its 1080p FXAA with TAA and stable 30hz.
Infamous has 1080p, SMAA T2x, GPU particles, great 3D AO and its open world with some nice baked destruction, if You want to count this, but its the most action packed and it blends art with tech the best from all three.

Other than that they all share same tech feature set, like PBR lighting, lit and shadowed particles, SSR reflections, HDR cubemaps, dynamic AF, bokeh DoF, per pixel motion blur.
For me they all are equal, some get things better, some get things worse, but all and all, they are all on same level, with Crytek being a little ahead in terms of pure tech, but they lack polish and they compromised IQ and framerate (as usual unfortunately) although Ryse was on weaker platform than the other two.
So yeah, its all about trade offs.

BF 4 lacks some of those features, but its cross gen and 60hz, so its not completely fair to compare 1:1.

TL: DR. All games are quite equal in terms of tech and balance, so no, its not impressive, let alone very impressive to me.
Division tech trailer was impressive to me: GI from every light source, very high quality bokeh, high precision cloth, procedural geometry destruction, volumetric lighting, shadowed particles from all light sources, very good LoD and shadow management.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we really need a feature checklist pissing contest in every thread.

Agree to disagree or go on vacation.

Do we really need a feature checklist pissing contest in every thread.

Agree to disagree or go on vacation.

:D

I liked the conversation when it was a debate over which subjective words to use. "It's great, not impressive or outstanding".

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, that last KKRT post is perfectly in sync with the "kkrt downplaying" tag I just coincidentally noticed.

Infamous would be "very impressive" to me if post processing wouldnt be 1/4 res, quality of shadows would be good,
Don't expect shadow quality to improve, in fact this will be the first thing to be compromised on new consoles, as evident in KZ:SF. High resolution shadows and soft shadows are very costly. Even more costly is PCSS or HBAO. PS4 games will use SSAO and medium to low res shadows to save CPU/GPU resources for something else.

with LoD cutting shadows 10 meters
LOD is another problem that is not going away anytime soon on PS4. The weak CPU doesn't leave room for luxurious LOD options, especially in an open world game. All you could hope for at best is using medium LOD. (KZ:SF, Ryse, BF4, AC4)all had the same problem. The only king in this regard is the PC with it's Ultra/Very High LOD settings, and even those settings are not enough to hide transitions or draw tiny details at large distances. Going beyond these levels to force better LOD quality incurs a massive performance hit. A while back I did an experiment with Crysis 1, in which I increased LOD levels 10 times the default values, I still had issues with pop-ins and outs even with that, especially on the terrain. of course fps were practically halved, which was not a bid deal in this old game.

Where's the menu option to make it rainy/overcast all the time. :p
But then you'd miss beautiful scenes like this:
1617721_10152054084582620_963412631_o.jpg

More like it. Infamous doesnt really do anything especially impressive, just has great assets fidelity, stellar IQ, modern lighting with SSR and the most importantly great art that is consistent. Thats really enough to beat easily most of last gen games.
Not sure if serious? The advanced gpu computing particles are some of the most impressive effects ever seen or ever done on either PC or consoles period, now having all that in an open world game? Yeah tell me it's nothing special.

During sunny daytime, 260ko compressed facebook jpg but still great.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/1781300_10152054450612620_1470025079_o.jpg

Shadows and reflections are really elaborate on this game I must say, not only for the main character. There are shadows everywhere and at every distances, not only close, but far away too.

Like at 500 metres from Delsin shadows of the pine tree (or fir?) are seen on some nearby steps. We can also see reflections of trees on the glasses on the buildings. Also reflections of the blue sky and trees are seen on the 3 waste containers on the left.

Also, the game has vegetation and not only on this particular pic. :rolleyes:

Man the lighting and reflection of this is like a gentle massage to the eye every time I see it:). Proper capture card also makes a rather sharp improvement to the iq too.

If this game has shards to collect, then I am done for ! I just can't complete Infamous 2 because I can't get myself to missions. On the way I see a shard and off I go .......

Back