Post-PS4 announcement and 8GB "surprise": Is Microsoft in time to change something?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything that requires changes in silicon is pretty much entirely out the window, so no GDDR being added at this late stage, for example.

What makes you think AMD removed GDDR5 functionality from their memory controller in the GPU?

Bumping clocks a bit...maybe. But with red-ring experiences in their recent past due to pushing their hardware too much is anyone actually expecting them to do this?

Well, the current rumored machine is surely in no way TDP limited at 800Mhz. AMD 7750(800Mhz,52Watt,41Watt),7770(1Ghz,92,74Watt) with Furmack/Game.

No time for MS in order to make changes in the leaked specs, IMO.

Instead, if could be a chance MS has other specs, maybe it´s time for MS to show any other specs, but this wouldn´t be my bet.

Whatever, my guess could be MS is launching their console within next months. (sept-oct)

If they don't have another design laying somewhere at Redmond offices (which they don't), there is nothing they can do. They are loosing this, badly.

And its interesting because from leaked roadmap its pretty evident that MS thought Sony are going to have very good console (technically) yet they completely dropped the ball.

Probably MS is betting everything on the price.249$ to D1 with kinect 2 included would be a great advantage for them.Will not be at the level of ps4 but better than the WiiU and capable to run the multi although with various differences.
The U4 has the lower limit of 1 Tflops and MS satisfies this request.Also with a console so underpowered MS could point to a reduced life cycle of 4/5 years.

This is what DF said on the argument:

...unless Microsoft has radically upgraded its graphics and memory configuration for Durango in the last nine months (an engineering nightmare unlikely to happen - it can't really add more chips as Sony has done)

What power difference ......do you know some think the rest of the world doesn't ....?
have you seen games running on both systems side by side .....?
Do you have insider information one hundred percent facts about both machines ....?
No ....then let's just wait and see ....because if you don't know facts that's all you and I can do wait and see ....

Sony showed some stuff talked a hell of a lot .......and didn't set the world on fire with any think they showed in my opinion .....of coarse they have more to show but will it set the world on fire .........is there machine better than Microsoft's no one knows yet by the end of the year we may know or at least have a better idea but its to early to judge........not enough facts .
Let's wait and see then compear when we have side by side games on hardware to look at .

Given that the spec were basically spot on with the spec leaks minus 8GB of GDDR5 that was hint but never confirm by any one,durango scenario doesn't paint to good,the specs don't lie this are not different architectures like this gen,they are from the same line and the same vendor is pretty easy to determine what console has more resources.

The only advantage durango seem to have was loss yesterday 8GB of ram.

You say that what they show did not set the word on fire,but there isn't a site about video games that i visit that doesn't have at least 3 or 4 thread about the PS4 and what show yesterday or the specs..

Probably MS is betting everything on the price.249$ to D1 with kinect 2 included would be a great advantage for them.Will not be at the level of ps4 but better than the WiiU and capable to run the multi although with various differences.
The U4 has the lower limit of 1 Tflops and MS satisfies this request.Also with a console so underpowered MS could point to a reduced life cycle of 4/5 years.

So you really expect MS to price Durango lower than the current premium 360 on the market.?

Come on be serious i don't think Durango will come out for less than $350 Wii U price,and that is making a sacrifice.

Now come on guys where was the oh my god moment ......for Sony ......where is there must have hook ......memory ...leave it out .....the wii had its oh my god moment which got everyone talking .....
Yes this is a site about hard wear specks .....put all the specks in the world mean jack **** in the real world word of mouth buzz ......must have appeal .
I'm a gamer first and for most where's there hook .....
All anyone needs to succeed is a hook a must have stand out moment ....Nintendo had it last Gen lost it this Gen .....
This industry has change chance only the hardcore and you lose money .....for yourself and your partners .

It is nonsensical.
To make any significant difference you might need a jump of 2 lithography nodes. The pace of those jump is slightly slowing down.
It makes no sense, especially with a custom hardware.

Looking at the 28nm GPUs that AMD has #right now# in the market, I think you're being (way) overly dramatic about the need of 2 lithography node jumps.

The current rumours point at a Cape Verde @ 800MHz.
A 30% overclock would result in a 1040MHz Cape Verde GPU, which you can find right now using coolers like these:
WKTP3fv.jpg

In a card that consumes 80W (GDDR5 memory included).

Yes, there's more in the SoC besides the GPU and memory controller, but it really doesn't seem like a 25-30% overclock in the GPU alone would dramatically change everything about the console.

There wouldn't be much point in adding more memory to Durango, would there? Unless it was an increase of the ESRAM.
More ESRAM and more bandwidth, though you then may want more ROPs.

Still by self more ESRAM could be useful but even 64MB is not enough for a beefy G-buffer.
KZ2 g-buffer weighted 64MB, right?
I expect KZ4 one to weight 256MB (native 1080p + x4 AA).

Anyway more is better for sure, but I don't expect anything to happen to Durango based on SOny announcement, rumors could be off but it would still have nothing to do with reacting to Sony's choices for the PS4.

I'm sure MS is fine with their planned solution and will be borne out as having been plenty to meet or exceed expectations for this coming gen.

The integrated media and social features, the Kinnet 2 support (which I think will surprise more than a few albeit not HC gamers) the hardware design itself will prove to be more than capable as this was not designed in a vacuum but with input from their development partners to a degree.

Then add in a price possibly $50-$100 less than Sony's product and a release to market beating Sony by at least a month and possibly more in Europe... and I would wager they are not sweating this reveal.

I for one thing we are on the quest if a wave for the industry its a case of change or die ...the old ways of doing business are over the hardcore no longer can fund the cost of games alone.
you need to draw new blood into your market get them buying your services to fund the cost of bigger better games .....money lads money he who makes the most will deliver the games its that simple .
Its business one o one .

Here my take.

MS doesn't need powerful hardware because it doesn't serve their best interest this time.

They saw how Kinect sold.
They saw how some part of the market reacted positive to Kinect.
They saw that xbox live gamers now watch more movies than play games.

And they decide to make a move toward something different,maybe if it worked for Nintendo once it would work for them.

If MS was focused on power or even care about sony specs,they would have get a much better GPU from the go,some people find this hard to swallow because they are use to MS making strong hardware,but if the money is on the casual side they will go for that.

And is not a bad thing for them or mean that durango would fail,in fact Durango can very well out sell the PS4 while been weaker and win the generation,which is far easier now that Nintendo Wii U is selling horrible.

Here my take.

MS doesn't need powerful hardware because it doesn't serve their best interest this time.

And they decide to make a move toward something different,maybe if it worked for Nintendo once it would work for them.

If MS was focused on power or even care about sony specs,they would have get a much better GPU from the go,some people find this hard to swallow because they are use to MS making strong hardware,but if the money is on the casual side they will go for that.

And is not a bad thing for them or mean that durango would fail,in fact Durango can very well out sell the PS4 while been weaker and win the generation,which is far easier now that Nintendo Wii U is selling horrible.

perhaps yes. but to imagine the actual games appearing much different in real time to the competition is ludicrous. It will be much like this gen in terms of games themselves which is to say hardly noticeable to most outside of forums like these who delve into technical analysis.

So assuming game experiences are nearly equal (to most peoples' eye) the overall consumer experience (cost, features, fun etc) is much more important to success than a spec war.

Here my take.

Totally agree Joe ........you have hit the nail on the head if they outsell Sony two or three two one watch the games come rolling in as Sony start losing support .
The wii u is in trouble because its not seeking out its soft wear is setting the spread sheets on fire ......I for one hope every company be they Sony or Microsoft ...Nintendo do enough business to show a profit and keep going .I don't want to see another Sega ....I once great company who made great hardcore games laid low a shadow of who they once where .

I'm sure MS is fine with their planned solution and will be borne out as having been plenty to meet or exceed expectations for this coming gen.

The integrated media and social features, the Kinnet 2 support (which I think will surprise more than a few albeit not HC gamers) the hardware design itself will prove to be more than capable as this was not designed in a vacuum but with input from their development partners to a degree.

Then add in a price possibly $50-$100 less than Sony's product and a release to market beating Sony by at least a month and possibly more in Europe... and I would wager they are not sweating this reveal.

Yeah, I have no expectation that MS would change their plan knowing what they now know about Orbis, even if they could make a big change at the last second. My guess is that they've focused on price, more than anything else, from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back