KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

That's as far from trolling as an opinion can get.

I did not have to scroll half a page to find something that's further from trolling as the quoted one line statement.

More details to back up "remarkably boring" would be very welcome.

RenegadeRocks, in case you're waiting... it's going to take a while for me to give my MP impression. Maybe next weekend.

I joined a game this afternoon. It's fast paced, and I got creamed (0 kill, N deaths where N is a not-so-small number). :LOL:

I hope the mods remember this when I drop some harsh one liners next week:p

It would be trollish if he posted what others have snipped in with on the Ryse thread repeatedly of "Graphics look like crap" and nothing else. From what I've seen he has posted multiple posts here. How is that to be considered a one liner?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1807181&postcount=1674

I'll leave my opinions at the door, just pointing to this as a reference.

that's just dumb. delta asserts that anything less than a 8 is BS. I haven't found it to be an 8 overall so its trolling? So that just means you prefer his opinion to mine. that's fine. just say that.

if this was just about graphics this game is an unadulterated 10. I thought the voice acting so far is pretty good if not always well lip synched.

what do you want a walkthrough?

It would be trollish if he posted what others have snipped in with on the Ryse thread repeatedly of "Graphics look like crap" and nothing else. From what I've seen he has posted multiple posts here. How is that to be considered a one liner?

It's not trolling to criticize graphics on a graphics site and note flaws. If your going to criticize gameplay and story say something more than boring because that is not as meaningful compared to saying something has low res textures which can be seen in a screenshot.

that's just dumb. delta asserts that anything less than a 8 is BS. I haven't found it to be an 8 overall so its trolling? So that just means you prefer his opinion to mine. that's fine. just say that.

if this was just about graphics this game is an unadulterated 10. I thought the voice acting so far is pretty good if not always well lip synched.

what do you want a walkthrough?

It really is in my eyes. The sp alone deserves more than a 7 with its unique gameplay with the owl and abilities,never mind that it lasted longer for me than BF4 and CoD combined!

It really is in my eyes. The sp alone deserves more than a 7 with its unique gameplay with the owl and abilities,never mind that it lasted longer for me than BF4 and CoD combined!

I can dig that. its not a bad game at all. where would you say that you started caring about the characters? Maybe that's also why I'm not that into FPS'. Mass effect had me caring about characters, dialogues and impact. I haven't gotten there yet with KZSF.

It's not trolling to criticize graphics on a graphics site and note flaws.

The key part there being noting flaws, not just saying "looks like crap".

I can see your point on the other parts such as storyline and gameplay.

But then again I've written off all FPS as having any aspects of non derivative gameplay and storylines years ago. That's not to say I don't like them, but I don't expect them to be on the same level as BioShock or RPGs for story or RedDeadRedemption or GTA or open world sandboxes for gameplay possibilities. Its just lowered expectations for those aspects because that's just the way that genre is. Of course I think the review scores for all games are and have been out of touch for years now. I don't think any game would ever be higher than an 8, even many game of the year titles. A score of a 10 would mean there is absolutely nothing remotely possible to improve on. A score of a 9 would mean it's revolutionary in all aspects.

RenegadeRocks, in case you're waiting... it's going to take a while for me to give my MP impression. Maybe next weekend.

I joined a game this afternoon. It's fast paced, and I got creamed (0 kill, N deaths where N is a not-so-small number). :LOL:

Hmm....Do play and share the impressions. You are a far better player than me and if you got owned then my fate.......!

The demo area in the final game:

The cutscene seems spoiler-ish, I skipped ahead. The area just after the demo area reminds me of RFOM :)

blakjedi, you're free to rate the game whatever you want. Given the heated argument before you posted your remark about "graphics go only so far. a 7 is stretching it", about reviewers and their score, one would expect a little more care when you come in here to add your opinion. You have to admit, your post and the way you formulated it, does have the potential to rub people up the wrong way and Nesh wasn't the only one to question if you have actually spent enough time to qualify to make such a remark [on everything sans graphics] or not. I wondered the same thing.

When we read reviews, we pretty much expect the reviewer to be talking with some competence and authority. I.e. If the game is a FPS, kind of expecting a FPS guy (and not someone into RPGs for instance) to review is self-explanatory. Or when digitalfoundry does an analysis on games, we expect them to have some knowledge on what they are talking about and not just pulling stuff out of thin air. If they do, we pretty much expect them to come clean on that, so that we can put their opinion into context.

Not to belittle your opinion though - it's very valued. What I would personally find even more interesting is if you have played (and completed) KZ2 & KZ3. That would give some kind of benchmark on how you stand with Shadow Fall. KZ is quite different as FPS go - and given it's the launch game to have, I suspect many Shadow Fall buyers are new to the series. Some might like what KZ is, some will ultimately prefer the Battlefield/CoD type of shooters outthere. And some, might not even be big FPS players like yourself, but bought the game on the premise of it being one of the games to have at launch.

So it's only a given that opinions of the game will vary. And because it's the biggest launch game on the PS4, I do expect many more people to pick it up - even those that aren't necessarely a fan of the genre or the series. Some will like it, some won't. I'm definately in the camp that will most likely enjoy it (and thus rate it rather good, from what I can already tell) but that might only mean something to others who have spent and enjoyed a similar number of hours in the previous KZ games...

blakjedi, you're free to rate the game whatever you want. Given the heated argument before you posted your remark about "graphics go only so far. a 7 is stretching it", about reviewers and their score, one would expect a little more care when you come in here to add your opinion. You have to admit, your post and the way you formulated it, does have the potential to rub people up the wrong way and Nesh wasn't the only one to question if you have actually spent enough time to qualify to make such a remark [on everything sans graphics] or not. I wondered the same thing.

When we read reviews, we pretty much expect the reviewer to be talking with some competence and authority. I.e. If the game is a FPS, kind of expecting a FPS guy (and not someone into RPGs for instance) to review is self-explanatory. Or when digitalfoundry does an analysis on games, we expect them to have some knowledge on what they are talking about and not just pulling stuff out of thin air. If they do, we pretty much expect them to come clean on that, so that we can put their opinion into context.

Not to belittle your opinion though - it's very valued. What I would personally find even more interesting is if you have played (and completed) KZ2 & KZ3. That would give some kind of benchmark on how you stand with Shadow Fall. KZ is quite different as FPS go - and given it's the launch game to have, I suspect many Shadow Fall buyers are new to the series. Some might like what KZ is, some will ultimately prefer the Battlefield/CoD type of shooters outthere. And some, might not even be big FPS players like yourself, but bought the game on the premise of it being one of the games to have at launch.

So it's only a given that opinions of the game will vary. And because it's the biggest launch game on the PS4, I do expect many more people to pick it up - even those that aren't necessarely a fan of the genre or the series. Some will like it, some won't. I'm definately in the camp that will most likely enjoy it (and thus rate it rather good, from what I can already tell) but that might only mean something to others who have spent and enjoyed a similar number of hours in the previous KZ games...

Stuff like that is nothing new though. Just look at negative comments in the Halo or COD threads. And yet we're picking out blakjedi because it's a PS4 launch title? Despite him doing nothing different than many posters have done in various Halo/COD/pick your game threads? People weren't being attacked for their negative opinions in those threads, despite their comment basically just saying "this game sucks", so why is it happening here?

I've disagreed with a person's opinion many times in the past, but I've never attacked them or called them a troll for having an opinion that differs from mine even when they don't bother to explain it and only say something along the lines of "this game sucks" (highly subjective) or "this game is the best of all time" (again highly subjective).

Delta9 thought it rated an 8 or higher. That's perfectly fine. blakjedi thought it rated a 7 or lower. That's perfectly fine as well.

Regards,
SB

Listen, I avoided nothing. My role on this site isn't to respond to you or your questions.

You didn't ask me to clarify.
I lay the blame for this mess mostly with you, blakjedi. Reading your post, it was a fair assumption you hadn't played the game at all based on how you worded your post. The discussion thus revolved around one side saying, "you haven't played the game, how can you have an opinion?" and the other saying, "I can have an opinion (because I have played the game, but you don't know that)."

It's a stupid muddling of the phrases. Nesh said, "you don't own it, you can't have an opinion," by which he meant, "you haven't played it." The emphasis wasn't on ownership of a product to remark on it, but on experience. Nesh, somewhat poorly, just associated experience with ownership as, at present, pretty much the only people experiencing these games own the console. You said you don't own a PS4, which implies you can't have had substantial experience of the game, but a simple explanation...

I do not own a PS4 but I can describe everything from the feel and capabilities of the controller, to setting the console up to playing it on a 65" Panasonic plasma in detail because I had a mate bring his PS4 round my house and we spent a day with the thing.

Do I have to own the game to know how it plays?

Problem solved. Instead, that lack of clarity left your post reading like...

I do not own a PS4 but I can describe everything from the feel and capabilities of the controller, to setting the console up to playing it on a 65" Panasonic plasma in detail because I'm a super genius who can absorb people experiences from their posting on the net and accumulate them into a singular, objective perspective - I never need to experience something directly to be able to know exactly how it would be to experience.

That interpretation seems a little ridiculous, but we all know there are net personalities that think that way and it's not so ridiculous to read a net post as born from such an ego.

Both you and Nesh were too busy standing by your understanding of the conversation to take a step back and see what the other guy was arguing and why the conversation was turning to crap (silly misunderstanding). Hopefully people can learn a little from this, ideally a little trust and an approach to a crazy discussion, especially among long-time members, that takes a step back and says, "This guy's posting crazy talk yet he's been allowed to stay on this board for years. It's probably more due to a misunderstanding than him being a troll then. Let's re-read those posts with new eyes, or politely ask for clarification."

When you post something like this you know you're spectacularly close to trolling if you're educated.
A critical opinion isn't trolling. A one liner isn't terribly constructive or informative, but it's still just an opinion (and sometimes it's all one has time to post at that moment). It only become trolling when a member habits a game thread repeatedly stating their criticism without entering into a sensible discussion over their POV. If blakjedi were to post those sorts of one-liners every day for a while, then he'd overstep the mark.

I really can't comment on the Halo threads, since I really haven't followed them. I was more just adding some sense to his question if what he did constitutes trolling. And that simply posting a one liner usually has the effect to derail topics to the point where it ends in bickering, pretty much like what happened here. And considering the bickering that was already going on before he made his remark about review scores, it doesn't exactly require a genius to foresee how leaving such a remark without any explenation would turn out...

Anyway, I didn't really want to get involved and I would still be quite interested to know if he has played the previous 2 games, since depending on his answer, I might be able to relate to his opinion more or less. I'm not here to argue, I haven't even played the game yet. But I'm still intersted in further opinions and hopefully will have my copy soon enough to post some up as well. :)

Yeah. I think people just need to not be so sensitive and defensive about their favorite platform or favorite game. Not everyone is going to share the same views or opinions. Not everyone is particularly diplomatic when posting those opinions.

Some people are going to like the game, some people aren't. Move on.

Regards,
SB

Yeah. I think people just need to not be so sensitive and defensive about their favorite platform or favorite game. Not everyone is going to share the same views or opinions. Not everyone is particularly diplomatic when posting those opinions.

Some people are going to like the game, some people aren't. Move on.

Regards,
SB

While i agree with what you write here i don't think that this is the problem we were facing here. It was another console war disguised as something else.

While i agree with what you write here i don't think that this is the problem we were facing here. It was another console war disguised as something else.
Blakjedi just posted his personal game opinion ina way that confused some people, and I suggest people drop the subject now. He went into more detail here and here, for example. Let's discuss the game rather than whether people are fanboys or trolls or whatever.

Blakjedi just posted his personal game opinion ina way that confused some people, and I suggest people drop the subject now. He went into more detail here and here, for example. Let's discuss the game rather than whether people are fanboys or trolls or whatever.

I am way earlier in this thread than that, i asked him about the game and he wrote those posts in response.

honestly I still don't get it. owning the console and playing it are two different things. why do I have to offer a life story to justify my remarks?

is a 7 really shitting on the game? Honestly I don't think anything I would have said would have been good enough because of other peoples perceptions. If I was asked how long I spent on the game or what were some of the better or worse experiences I had playing, I could dig that. That wasn't what I was asked by Nesh. tkf and someone else asked questions to which they got appropriate answers and its my fault? No one else got grilled for their opinion.

Of all launch titles this season I wanted to try out this iteration of KZ. I never bought the product before even though I have owned a PlayStation, and a PlayStation 3. I typically buy every major system in each generation, but I don't buy FPS' generally due to motion sickness. I only ever bought the first halo.

my friend who has a ps4, loves the fps experience so I knew he would get this straightaway. I took the opportunity to spend the day with his shiny new toy.

BTW I wouldn't rate injustice that highly either but it did have an innovative use of the touchpad. when playing the Joker in story mode you have to flick cards from a deck at an attacker. I think it was Solomon Grundy. it was a play mechanic that I had never seen before and was extremely effective using the DS4 for. Also it was the first time I saw in game graphics outshine cg.

Back