KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

talked to two people in the US, my college mates, they say the game is rad ! They say that some missions are boring, but overall, its very varied in its campaign and there's even a Doom/Quake kind-ish level in it :D ! Good times can't come soon enough.

Only one of them is a MP guy, and he is digging it !

EDIT: MP streaming here : http://www.twitch.tv/potted_meatlooks rad !
Here too : http://www.twitch.tv/streamerhouse Lighting is so beautiful ! Blood splatter too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yap, I am not too keen about the SP given the gameplay videos so far.

The MP looks similar to KZ3 but without the special abilities that people complained about. I enjoyed KZ3 MP, figured I would like this too.

Just have a look at these tweets, especially the last one

http://www.spawnfirst.com/articles/polygons-bias-rears-ugly-head-killzone-shadow-fall/

They scored Knack higher than this game, although both have different reviewers.
I'm sure there are reviews editors at Polygon that don't have Gies' overt disdain for the Playstation, and yet none of them were tasked with reviewing Killzone. Nope, it's gotta be the guy that tweets about how much he dislikes the series.

Do people bothered with the lack of shoulder buttons on vita (for Killzone remote play)?

It takes getting used to using the back touch panel for that, but it generally should work well enough.

How people cope with it? Do any b3ders have try it? Since it doesn't have aim assist, how good is playing it with the vita stick?

talked to two people in the US, my college mates, they say the game is rad ! They say that some missions are boring, but overall, its very varied in its campaign and there's even a Doom/Quake kind-ish level in it :D ! Good times can't come soon enough.

Only one of them is a MP guy, and he is digging it !

I finished the SP campaign and I can strongly agree. A few boring areas, one level in particular of mostly scripted sneaking is the only one I can think of that I didn't really have fun honestly, some early times where they take control and it's annoying.

Overall an extremely well done game. Very varied in gameplay. Lots of enemy types, human and non-human which are all fun to fight against. Story is interesting, but nothing to write home about. No swearing.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. I would rate the singleplayer 8/10, only thing that I truly didn't like was that it ended a strong experience too early.

I can also confirm that some levels are narrow, yet with many rooms and areas, and other levels are extremely large and wide open. The levels also have many vertical levels, and you can really approach many areas in different ways. Tons of different rooms and stairs and levels and buildings, you never feel like you go to the same area twice. There are four levels in particular which I think are excellent, one of which is more linear and I had a lot of fun, the others being the wide open ones that I really loved.

There is so much detail in the levels sometimes, you might even consider it to the point where it's at fault and obstructs easy navigation. Though as you said, it feels refreshing to have to look around a bit, because the areas are large and you have to do a bit of "how can I get there?" The game does not hand hold you to figure exactly everything out, only in rare cases do they not tell you enough of exactly what to do where they should.

It is a premier singleplayer FPS experience, it is definitely not a barebones pop-shoot fest at all. The enemy AI traverses the levels easily, rotates cover often, and is very aggressive and very fun to fight against. Lots of interesting weapons, though you can only hold two weapons and can't switch the primary... the weapons are extremely fun though, especially the loud Helghast weapons :)

The OWL gives you fun abilities that simply change up the gameplay and give the enemies another thing to shoot against. Abilities work on cooldowns, and do not feel overpowered. If you make too many mistakes, the Helghast will easily overwhelm you, but the game rarely ever feels unfair, you always feel like you can change your strategy and get a better outcome. I can only think of two areas I had significantly more difficulty than others, but nothing that was hard to overcome with a few retries.

And from the few hours I have played of multiplayer I can definitely say it has a lot to offer. Lots of game modes, lots of customization for the players and an incredibly amount of server options to go with.

It's a fantastic game. My only two complaints which really matter to me are that there is no local co-op and the singleplayer is too short, ending abruptly in what feels like should be the middle of the game imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the AI ? Does it play differently "every time" ?

The AI is really robust, you can see them moving towards you from like 50 or 100 metres away if you keep your eye out.

The get more and more aggressive the closer they get I think. They don't sit in one place, and they rotate cover really often and respond quickly when you change position.

I felt it was very strong, rarely ever unfair, though you can really die easily in this game if you are not careful. A few direct shots and you will be down very easily, so it's important to be careful and not let the AI get the upper hand :)

Importantly, the enemies are not nearly as much bullet sponges as in previous games. I felt it wasn't a problem in past games, but in this game you definitely get the impression that when you feel a guy should be down with a number of shots

Though related to bullet sponges, there are special enemies which you can use the OWL with though to make much easier to battle, but I won't spoil it. Also the big bad robots are expectedly much more resilient than the average Helghast.

Some of the enemies also have patterns which you can use to your advantage (specifically the robot enemies), and they often mix up many different enemy types in different variations over the whole game. The Helghast generally adopt the same strategies regardless of enemy type, but it's all very quality stuff with lots of flanking, lots of rotating cover, and they are just honestly really fun to fight against. And this is probably the biggest reason why almost every fight in the game feels very different :)

In all for AI, I was very impressed and it made the game really fun honestly. Just tons of fun to fight against these guys.

The OWL is a really well done addition. I thought it would be a lazy tack on to a regular game, but it really makes a fun experience even better in this game, it lets you use different strategies and it's just a fun device :)

The OWL is a really well done addition. I thought it would be a lazy tack on to a regular game, but it really makes a fun experience even better in this game, it lets you use different strategies and it's just a fun device :)

the owl is a great tool and innovation. it isn't possible to get through the game without it. I was surprised that even to the level I played it (level 5) there wasn't a Helghast equivalent. they have owl like sentinels but nothing that tracks and fights like it on their end.

Back