KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

That wasn't the point, the point was that they said:

"Its a gaming console with no games to recommend"

Whether that statement was quoted verbatim or not, it's pretty clear what the writer meant to say so I don't think it actually matters. They liked the machine just fine but didn't think there was a particularly good reason to jump in right away. All the cross console titles are available elsewhere (and in the case of AC the differences between generations seem particularly slight) That leaves a bunch of so-so exclusive games and Battlefield 4 in case you don't have a decent PC.

All I'm seeing here is butthurt fans quoting little bits and pieces out of context in a desperate attempt to discredit the writer. Shocker really. Never happened before with just about any piece of criticism at all ever, right?

I agree. People should just forget about the one particular review that has a score they don't like. One way or the other, I'm not sure on how much of an impact a review has on sales. Perhaps it does if all reviews are bad across the board, but a single one or a game that is met with praise and criticism at the same time and has scores ranging from 5 to 9, I'm not sure.

Take IMDB. I usually take any score over 5.5 as indicative as a movie that can entertain. Usually, over 6 is an above average (actually good in my view) movie in my book. Anything over 7, even better and usually above 8 is "very very very good". I think the list of movies that have a collective rating over 8 are narrowed down to around 250+ movies.

In gaming publications, I think the score is usually higher to quantify a "good" game. The problem though with any review is that to any score, there is a level of expecations. If the expectations are high, the score might take a beating.

I'm not even sure how KZ2 and KZ3 got scored. I wouldn't even be surprised to hear they were scored lower than any of their Call of Duty counterparts. For the most part, I would agree. Sometimes, it's easier to make a simple game good than to do the same with a challenging complicated one. I think KZ:SF (and all the other KZ games) fall in this category. They are not trying to be a "simple" shooter with lots of smokes & mirrors style gameplay, but they tried to raise the bar in many areas and unsurprisingly (due to time constraints or because they've set themselves a very high target) fall short on their own high bars they set.

Despite the low scores the game got, I still expect it to be a great reference point and a damn good gaming experience. And not just because of the graphics.

Can't believe the topic of reviews and subjectivity has popped up again for the millionth time.

And unless people come to grips with the fact that games aren't toasters or washing machines, it's going to pop up again and again. With every slightly dissenting opinion in fact.

Whether that statement was quoted verbatim or not, it's pretty clear what the writer meant to say so I don't think it actually matters. They liked the machine just fine but didn't think there was a particularly good reason to jump in right away. All the cross console titles are available elsewhere (and in the case of AC the differences between generations seem particularly slight) That leaves a bunch of so-so exclusive games and Battlefield 4 in case you don't have a decent PC.

All I'm seeing here is butthurt fans quoting little bits and pieces out of context in a desperate attempt to discredit the writer. Shocker really. Never happened before with just about any piece of criticism at all ever, right?

Take a chill pill dude, the reviewer is factual wrong when he says there is no games to recommend or did he also review BF4/AC4 as 5/10 games. Just because they are available "everywhere else" doesn't make them games you can't buy for your PS4, or is that illegal?

I could not care less about them liking or hating the PS4 or the XB1 for that matter, it's their perfect right to do so, just as it is to hate Killzone, which they obviously do.

But claiming there is no game worth playing is simply stupid when there are perfect examples.

The reviews are too varied; Gamespot thinks its too easy when others say its hard :???: ! Its down to playing for urself. Anyways, if the same websites are giving next gen COD a higher rating than this, then its just plain down to it being an exclusive launch game and being judged with that pressure. I still can't get myself to finish the ghosts campaign even though Davros says its good.

Everyone is praising the MP unanimously, though.

Its the launch game problem, like people rated down RFOM, even though its still one of the most fun SPs around, because they thought its not worth spending $600 for. To me, it was totally worth it. In fact I was taken aback when I watched the reviews a year after having played the game to death ;) ! I was expecting heaps of praise only to be told not to get it :p !

BTW< The Polygon PS4 review ends with "Its a gaming console with no games to recommend" WTH, so BF4 and AC4 getting stellar reviews doesn't count? They run on that machine, its not as if there's nothing on it. When the fact is that these games run better on the PS4 than on any other console :rolleyes:

Oh people should just trust the consumers. Arthur Gies is a small nuance in the grand scheme of things. It is more important for Sony and partners to stay on course and do the right thing. The hardcore gamers at this point are unlikely to change their opinions because of a game. They will trust the collective end user feedback more than any reviewer's input given that they have been unreliable thus far. They are only given 2 days to review the games and PS4. Even regular outlets may be unhappy with the rush.

Like the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD war, there wasn't many titles to fight over to begin with. The early adopters have always loved to take risk in new tech, and cast their vote to decide the future.

For myself, I'm getting a PS4 just because I want to try out some ideas and am curious to check out the user community. The games are icing on top. Wouldn't be surprised if the indie games prove more interesting than the AAA titles.

Oh people should just trust the consumers. Arthur Gies is a small nuance in the grand scheme of things. It is more important for Sony and partners to stay on course and do the right thing.
I'm truly wondering if you meant nuisance instead. :p

As a fan of KZ2, I'm definitely not letting the reviews dissuade me. Especially when a few of them convey the viewpoints of people who obviously aren't into the series. I've demoed multiplayer in bot matches and enjoyed it enough that I think this will be very satisfying online.

Knack tanking has me more worried because the criticisms reflect some of my own concerns when playing the demo.

Ah, he's not on my radar. Only learn of him because of the "deal with it" incident. It looks like that's his style. In due time, we will most likely move on and forget about the whole thing. However, the debacle may scar him for the rest of his life.

I'm not interested in their view on gamers interests. Same way I don't expect a movie critic to praise a Transformers movie because millions of people think they're the shit. I want their honest opinions, and if gaming fatigue factors into these opinions then that's something the gaming industry has to address by making new and exciting stuff and not just prettier versions of the same old shit. Games criticism is gradually evolving past the point of being simple, pseudo-objective and mostly checklist-driven buyers guides. I think that's a good thing.

Sorry, but this is bs...'honest opinion'...lol!

I want an objective opinion.

Back