KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

What? There exist no game (this one or otherwise) using physical lighting models. They are all biased approximations.

Also what is a tricky reflection?
Ryse: son of rome uses physically based lighting.
Cg production started about two years ago into the space of physical based lighting and shading. We added a pipeline that is 100% physically based lighting and shading in realtime however.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83981723

What? There exist no game (this one or otherwise) using physical lighting models. They are all biased approximations.

Almost every game engine has moved to physically correct shading and lighting in the past 2-3 years.

Mind you, this basically means that light hitting a surface and total light (ie. diffuse and specular) leaving a surface has to be the same. Very simple on paper, but an important step beyond the hack based shaders of past rendering engines. It also simplifies stuff a LOT.

It also has to be combined with floating point linear calculations and gamma correction and stuff. But this has also been done for a while now. Even COD BLOPS1 has it as far as I know. And you can of course still mess the results up, no guarantee that it'll get you realistic results ;)

Also what is a tricky reflection?

Anything that's not raytraced :p

Mind you, this basically means that light hitting a surface and total light (ie. diffuse and specular) leaving a surface has to be the same.
...Why? That's not how real life works. There's always some absorbtion, and usually a lot. Even most mirrors absorb a lot.

Yeah but previously it was possible to cheat this and have more light (diffuse + specular) reflect from a surface; or less, or anything you wanted.

Anyway, the point is that it's much closer to realistic material properties now, which makes the artists' life a lot easier and at the same time it produces better results. Far more efficient production with higher image quality, what else can you ask for?

Also, I'm not familiar with the actual shader code work, so I don't know if it handles absorption or not... But Iron Man was the first time ILM used this approach and they've managed to fool everyone with the CG armor :)

...Why? That's not how real life works. There's always some absorbtion, and usually a lot. Even most mirrors absorb a lot.

Yes, there's absorption (dark colors, low intensity specular reflections) but the point is that the light leaving the surface (specular and diffuse combined) can't be more than the one it received in the first place (except for emissive materials of couse).

If you've got an energy-conserving numerical method of any kind, it's easy to add a sink to make it dissipative instead. If you're not conserving to begin with, you are just right and well proper screwed.

Like when these fuel droplets I'm simulating crashed down to -15 million degrees. :LOL:

Feels so good to hear the MP sound effects of KZ2 again :smug: ! THat chirp is th ebest thing to happen to MP gaming ever :love: !
Just watched the MP footage and that new indoor Map is looking so cool ! Has those KZ3 colours from one of the maps. Don't remember th ename now. ALso, the SP has that place in perfect shape whiel it is completely destroyed in the MP map. Looks so much more KZ. The MP seems a lot of fun ! Also BOTS confirmed :p !
The spawn screens show pretty big maps, hope they don't get too big for 24 players.

I think, from reading all the previews, it feels the game is going to be a lot of fun to play, just like RFOM last time. ALso, very surprised by the fact that this has NO Aim Assist !

Gott watch the alternate playthroughs of the SP level now. Too much footage to digest !

Last edited by a moderator:

Not impressed by the alternate playthroughs at all. This is Crysis3-style token stealth:
Assualt: "Go in and kill everybody"
Stealth: "Go in and kill everybody" ! WTH ! (Thank God they didn't have "Panther" style :rolleyes:)

The open forest level is more fun to play around in. Hope we have lots of open level to monkey around while engaging the Helghast.

@patsu: I don't think the AI had any chance to react. We went in Slo mo and killed them before they could do anything. But,yes, the hit reactions aren't as cool as KZ2. THey had mocaped different animations for hits at different body parts. Maybe that data cannot be reused in the new rig setup.

The game is best as a shooter, that stealth stuff is all gimmicky......thats why the MP footage with non stop action looks much more fun. So does the forest level extended gameplay.

Wow, that shows a lot of freedom. And I take back what I said about the glass earlier ... The game has a lot of destructible materials, and they all react in pretty realistic ways it seems. All the glass is breakable, all the non bearing walls are breakable ... I'm pretty impressed, and it all looks really good too (except maybe some of the hostages). Really starting to look forward to this now!

Not impressed by the alternate playthroughs at all. This is Crysis3-style token stealth:
Assualt: "Go in and kill everybody"
Stealth: "Go in and kill everybody" ! WTH ! (Thank God they didn't have "Panther" style :rolleyes:)

The open forest level is more fun to play around in. Hope we have lots of open level to monkey around while engaging the Helghast.

@patsu: I don't think the AI had any chance to react. We went in Slo mo and killed them before they could do anything. But,yes, the hit reactions aren't as cool as KZ2. THey had mocaped different animations for hits at different body parts. Maybe that data cannot be reused in the new rig setup.

The game is best as a shooter, that stealth stuff is all gimmicky......thats why the MP footage with non stop action looks much more fun. So does the forest level extended gameplay.

I complained about this earlier in the thread, didn't KZ2 had physics mixed in with the death animations?

I can't wait to see more of the epic set pieces when the war is finally ignited, the trailer gives us a few glimpses on what's in stock such as armies of Helghan cruisers hovering over the city ready for bombardment. I wanna relive the intense all out war atmosphere of KZ2&3, that's the bread and butter for me in the end. Sand box environment is great and all but eventually I got bored of playing Crysis games because of that. It is those memorable set pieces levels that really defines a KZ game.
But in saying that, if GG can have a nice balance of open levels and set pieces levels then it might work even better, we'll see soon.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nwodEWQinI">YouTube Link</a>

:oops:

Looks really good to me. One thing wonders me...but I did not watch till the end as I want it all fresh...but: there seems to be no ingame music?!? There is sound effects from guns and so on...but, no music or whatsoever?

Video shows a lot of stuff. ^_^

Only new thing I hate is the way the Helghasts lean against the wall. They are supposed to be well trained soldiers. Didn't expect them to slack off like this. Apparently it's quite common according to the highlights. :-/

Other than that, love the influx of info. Will rewatch later.

Only new thing I hate is the way the Helghasts lean against the wall. They are supposed to be well trained soldiers. Didn't expect them to slack off like this. Apparently it's quite common according to the highlights. :-/

It may be a setting thing. Apparently it's 30 years from KZ3 and its more like cold war berlin where you have ISA and Helghast living side by side divided by a wall.

:-/

Looks like the OWL replaces Rico. Pretty helpful in KZ3. I assume it also revives me like Rico in SP. But no more path blocking, and boneheaded decision like in KZ2. [thumbs up]

I would think that 30 years down the line, forced(?) to live on Vekta with constant monitoring by the ISA, standards have probably slipped a bit. They should also be starting to look a little healthier!!

:-/

Looks like the OWL replaces Rico. Pretty helpful in KZ3. I assume it also revives me like Rico in SP. But no more path blocking, and boneheaded decision like in KZ2. [thumbs up]

Yes, owl can revive player. It has its on battery levels that replenish slowly, so it cant revive you all the time.

Back