KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

It does look more real especially with those rain droplet shader on the face, being 1080p also helps to make everything look sharper too. I don't see it being a joke.

Saying RYSE doesn't even come close is just nuts, even more so considering we are comparing a cutscene to a game that will have the same looking characters in and out of cutscenes.

yqnv.png

This is what a KZSF character looks like outside of cutscenes.

Saying RYSE doesn't even come close is just nuts, even more so considering we are comparing a cutscene to a game that will have the same looking characters in and out of cutscenes.

This is what a KZSF character looks like outside of cutscenes.
No, this pic is a distant shot where the human face is not focused, and a common grunt for that matter. Also KZSF doesn't do pre rendered cutscene either, everything is realtime and consistent through out.

The face looks like a big texture map stretched over polygons. Lighting on skin is all wrong and looks baked....water drop reflections look off too. Background looks very bad..shadow on shoulder is pixelated.

No, this pic is a distant shot where the human face is not focused, and a common grunt for that matter. Also KZSF doesn't do pre rendered cutscene either, everything is realtime and consistent through out.

It sure does use LoD though and nothing but that scene looks anything like that in the trailer.

Yeah, also the gold necklace is a flat texture. Not very nextgen at all.

Um not it's not, it actually moves.... Also how can you say that something that is clearly modeled is a flat texture?

What you described is basically the view of 90% of the game, which will be looking at grunts from a distant shot.

The face looks like a big texture map stretched over polygons.
Haha you're absolutely right tho, a big very high res texturemap is typically what we use to wrap it around a polygon mesh to show colors, reflections and what not. You're trying way too hard dude.

Haha you're absolutely right tho, a big very high res texturemap is typically what we use to wrap it around a polygon mesh to show colors, reflections and what not. You're trying way too hard dude.

That's the way it's done current gen. EA does it a lot in their sports games. Nextgen games should have proper skin shaders, subsurface scattering, deep skinning, real lighting not prebaked into texture. GG's character tech looks outdated.

You also can't deny that there are a lot of parts of that trailer that don't look anywhere as good as that ending scene.

ibwUMKe2qujlop.png

I found this to be the coolest looking part though:
i4DnboYcTbgG8.png

Although the lack of shadows is a little strange, I'm sure that will be fixed by launch.

iLGNdxH3b9ohE.png

imEboFXwzpHSH.png

It's called a pendant son, that cross thing looks to have made of 30 polygon faces that's hanging off a flat texture which roughly shows a golden chain necklace.
And looking at grunt 90% of time does not detract anything from main character faces looking great and wet shader laden;).

I'll post a GIF in the RYSE thread to show you what I mean, this is a Killzone thread and I'm not trying to compare RYSE or bring any of it's media into this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sure does use LoD though and nothing but that scene looks anything like that in the trailer.

Um not it's not, it actually moves.... Also how can you say that something that is clearly modeled is a flat texture?

What you described is basically the view of 90% of the game, which will be looking at grunts from a distant shot.
It's called a pendant son, that cross thing looks to have made of 30 polygon faces that's hanging off a flat texture which roughly shows a golden chain necklace.
And looking at grunt 90% of time does not detract anything from main character faces looking great and wet shader laden;).

That's the way it's done current gen. EA does it a lot in their sports games. Nextgen games should have proper skin shaders, subsurface scattering, deep skinning, real lighting not prebaked into texture. GG's character tech looks outdated.
Lighting is real time in KZ, you're talking about different lighting condition though in that shot. And how do you know GG doesn't use those other techniques without seeing the model in a more adequate lighting condition to properly show the effect? Besides, sports game can invest tonso f resources in their player models since they're the only things important in a sports title.

Lighting is real time in KZ, you're talking about different lighting condition though in that shot. And how do you know GG doesn't use those other techniques without seeing the model in a more adequate lighting condition to properly show the effect? Besides, sports game can invest tonso f resources in their player models since they're the only things important in a sports title.

I watched the 1080P video and that segment looks very outdated in terms of facial animation and complexity. If they're using all of those techniques, somebody needs to hire better artists/animators.

You also can't deny that there are a lot of parts of that trailer that don't look anywhere as good as that ending scene.

ibwUMKe2qujlop.png

I found this to be the coolest looking part though:
i4DnboYcTbgG8.png

Although the lack of shadows is a little strange, I'm sure that will be fixed by launch.

I'll post a GIF in the RYSE thread to show you what I mean, this is a Killzone thread and I'm not trying to compare RYSE or bring any of it's media into this thread.

Not the best way to judge model or texture consistency using compressed shot on top of very different lighting angle or condition. And I don't see the lack of shadow concern since it's very hard to determine where the shadow falls off from an unknown lighting position.

I watched the 1080P video and that segment looks very outdated in terms of facial animation and complexity. If they're using all of those techniques, somebody needs to hire better artists/animators.

They used performance capture.
This is the first KZ title to use them so really animations should be better than before.

This is the first KZ title to use them so really animations should be better than before.

That doesn't mean the facial animation looks good...it looks very bad in fact. Also I'm not sure they do performance capture down to the face level because if they did the actor needs to be fired.

Not the best way to judge model or texture consistency using compressed shot on top of very different lighting angle or condition. And I don't see the lack of shadow concern since it's very hard to determine where the shadow falls off from an unknown lighting position.

Why do you think I said I would reserve my judgement?

Also this is the same compressed shots as the other picture, these are directly caps saved to PNG.

Motion capture is only as good as the rigs they have setup to display it.

That doesn't mean the facial animation looks good...it looks very bad in fact. Also I'm not sure they do performance capture down to the face level because if they did the actor needs to be fired.

I didn't watch the video, to avoid spoilers so I can't really tell.
And yes they, I quote, "do full performance capture, recording the voice, body and face of the actor at the same time".

Motion capture is only as good as the rigs they have setup to display it.

I just wanted to say they are using performance capture.
Judge from yourself if their "setup"This is their setup ig doo enough.

I didn't watch the video, to avoid spoilers so I can't really tell.
And yes they, I quote, "do full performance capture, recording the voice, body and face of the actor at the same time".

As said it's only as good as the rigs they have to display it.

There aren't really any spoilers in the trailer, you should download it from Gamersyde and have a watch.

I just wanted to say they are using performance capture; also Jude form yourself if their "setup" is good enough.

"Good enough" is a subjective term and from what I've seen it's not that great. There aren't enough joints in the face to properly display the emotions they are going for.

Also it looks like beyond certain scenes none of the grunts have any facial expressions at all.

Back