KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

I may not have heard correctly, but I think he says " The bounce from sunlight comes from the raytraced reflection data"....something like that. Got to hear it only once. Does that mean we have realtime GI from the Sunlight atleast :p ?

And great to hear that the reflections are all raytraced and blur out with distance from the ground meaning there can be some awesmoe rain drenched night scenes with accurate reflections :devilish: !

meaning there can be some awesmoe rain drenched night scenes with accurate reflections :devilish: !
I can't wait for a night level from nextgen killzone man, all the crazy particles, HDR lighting, realtime raytracing, Bokeh DOF and motion blur should really create something spectacular!

Meh, the storm in the Beachhead map is it. No reflection needed because the rain was so heavy it fogged up and blurred everything ! ^_^

I can't wait for a night level from nextgen killzone man, all the crazy particles, HDR lighting, realtime raytracing, Bokeh DOF and motion blur should really create something spectacular!

lmao :rolleyes:

This place is going to be unbearable next gen with some of these comments. :LOL:

Like the comments from the Guerilla guy saying raytracing numerous times when explaining what they are doing?

The Guerilla guy naively used the term "raytracing" very loosely to describe their screen-space-reflections solution, which is a gross aproximation of local reflections that has some sort of rays, and some sort of tracing to it. But when most people talk about RayTracing they mean ray-intersection tests against full scene geometry, usually polygons, sometimes voxels, and ideally complex surfaces, but when people talk about raytracing they are rarelly talking about a hack to sort of ray march against the extremelly incomplete point representation of the scene that is the G-buffer obtained through good old rasterization. If you are defining RT this broadly, then multiple SSAO algos used in ps360 games out there could have been classified as raytraced global illumination too, which would not be completely wrong, but for all practical uses would be complete nonsense.
There was a little bit of media paraphrasing this presentation´s misleading use of the term as if it meant a huge and unbelievable achievement for ps4 and GG, which was very misinformative. To avoid those kinds of misunderstandings again, I´d love for devs and tech entusiasts to just keep calling this type of rendering feature SSR, or SSLR (L for local) and for the media to make better fact checking and get consulting with people more versed in underlying rendering technology before jumping into wrong conclusions and spreading them over the web.

The Guerilla guy naively used the term "raytracing" very loosely to describe their screen-space-reflections solution, which is a gross aproximation of local reflections that has some sort of rays, and some sort of tracing to it. But when most people talk about RayTracing they mean ray-intersection tests against full scene geometry, usually polygons, sometimes voxels, and ideally complex surfaces, but when people talk about raytracing they are rarelly talking about a hack to sort of ray march against the extremelly incomplete point representation of the scene that is the G-buffer obtained through good old rasterization. If you are defining RT this broadly, then multiple SSAO algos used in ps360 games out there could have been classified as raytraced global illumination too, which would not be completely wrong, but for all practical uses would be complete nonsense.
There was a little bit of media paraphrasing this presentation´s misleading use of the term as if it meant a huge and unbelievable achievement for ps4 and GG, which was very misinformative. To avoid those kinds of misunderstandings again, I´d love for devs and tech entusiasts to just keep calling this type of rendering feature SSR, or SSLR (L for local) and for the media to make better fact checking and get consulting with people more versed in underlying rendering technology before jumping into wrong conclusions and spreading them over the web.

Thank you. However I imagine some enthused Sony fans would much rather just believe that the PS4 is capable of graphical feats never known by man. :p

Thank you. However I imagine some enthused Sony fans would much rather just believe that the PS4 is capable of graphical feats never known by man. :p

If this kinda of fanboy baiting talk is gonna start shitting up treads on B3D, when we finally managed to get past all that last gen after years of excruciating torture, then I for won't won't be sticking around online in this coming gen.

Can we just stay on-topic folks, with intelligent discourse that doesn't throw out fanboy bait to inflame the juvenile hosts.

Thanks.

OT: I'm intrigued to see more of their engine and underlying tech for KZ:SF. If only to see how it differs to some of the things they did on the PS3.

Just to add they said in the presentation that slides will be available for download and there will be other talk about glossy reflection in future and that they will release theirs open source cubemap rendering tool after KZ:SF launch.

That presentation says GG also working on a new IP. Does that mean this game is being made by their B Team ?

I´d guess the new IP is on pre-production at the point, so it has few people actively involved, or they just started production recently if you consider KZ4 might be finished or nearly so by now. Pure guesswork on my part though.

If this kinda of fanboy baiting talk is gonna start shitting up treads on B3D, when we finally managed to get past all that last gen after years of excruciating torture, then I for won't won't be sticking around online in this coming gen.

Can we just stay on-topic folks, with intelligent discourse that doesn't throw out fanboy bait to inflame the juvenile hosts.

Thanks.

OT: I'm intrigued to see more of their engine and underlying tech for KZ:SF. If only to see how it differs to some of the things they did on the PS3.

Sorry, I was just poking fun at his naive hyperbole. I won't carry on with such hijinx.

I´d guess the new IP is on pre-production at the point, so it has few people actively involved, or they just started production recently if you consider KZ4 might be finished or nearly so by now. Pure guesswork on my part though.

I thought it was confirmed that GG had two teams now, no? I'm not talking about the one working on KZ: Mercenary either.

Though you do have a point that most of KZ4 would be near complete by now.

Sorry, I was just poking fun at his naive hyperbole. I won't carry on with such hijinx.

I understand it can be irritating when people sometimes say things in ignorance, or over-inflate things unecessarily, but by educating naivety with informed knowledge you add something to the conversation. When you poke fun and complain about fanboys with indirect offhand comments you will only ever illicit emotional responses, which drags down the quality of the discussion and potentially derails threads. But of course I'm sure you're already well aware of this my good man ;-) No harm done mate...

I thought it was confirmed that GG had two teams now, no? I'm not talking about the one working on KZ: Mercenary either.

Though you do have a point that most of KZ4 would be near complete by now.

I think KZ mercenary is being done by Guerilla games Cambridge which used to be Sony Cambridge. The orginial Guerilla studio outside the UK has indeed grown into two teams though. So yeah I think there certainly is another game being wored on besides KZ:SF.

Back