KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

In terms of visual ? David Cage's Beyond Two Souls is probably a more up-to-date rendition for comparison.

Heavy Rain is more for its "branchy" story.

Curious where BTS will take us.

I don't think they will go for branching storylines but just Crysis 1 kindof 'open' playgrounds where different approaches are possible or ,lets just day, we have replay value. The section they demoed didn't have any of that, so lets hope its all there.

BTW, watching the live stream felt good, watching the alternate demo at 720 felt great but watching it again and again at1080p is a revelation ! The game's loghting is beautiful and there's so much on screen. Beautiful visuals ! And remember the MAWLER sequence from KZ3 on the ps3??? If GG did the MAWLER on the ps3, which for me has been the best set-piece in a FPS, then wonder what they will do with the ps4!!!!! MAWLER part was ecstatic, though the rest of the game leading up to it was dull. But then KZ2 gameplay with MAWLER like sequences could mean a killer game. I am loving the lighitng already, had misjudged it to be LDR in the live stream, but it looks rad in 1080p :p ! I just want all those fire-lights to cast shadows too.

And then there will be MP, hope they have got something good going on there :) !

TBH, it would have been a great boost up from previous gen if MAG with 256 player MP was the launch title ! ;)

Yep, the second video they released (completely different walkthrough than the onstage gameplay) is way more impressive... Especially at 1080p.

Not only does the player play the game more smoothly, but there are a lot more close ups of the NPCs and explosions and in 1080p those graphics really pop.

If you think the conference demo looks better than most games, then the second video they released in full HD will really impress... If anyone didn't watch it (its on YT) I definitely recommend taking a second look to see really how impressive the game looks... And not even on final hardware.

I don't have much hope for KZ4's MP to be any good. GG seems to be rudderless when it comes to how their actual game should play. They've got a great universe and aesthetic, and a talented bunch of programmers, but they seem to spend too much time reading the forums and copying randomly selected features from other games in a haphazard way.

I don't have much hope for KZ4's MP to be any good. GG seems to be rudderless when it comes to how their actual game should play. They've got a great universe and aesthetic, and a talented bunch of programmers, but they seem to spend too much time reading the forums and copying randomly selected features from other games in a haphazard way.

I really think as well that GG reads tomuch journals and game reviews. Not only with respect to gameplay but also art design. Does anyone remember the first Killzone 2 gameplay they showed? It was absolutely phantastic! But press and moaners called it Greyzone and they started to introduce colors, even more so in KZ3 and now looking at the newest entry, one wonders what is left from original KZ art.

Despite of this, new art looks also good to me, just vastely different so far...Mirrors Edge meets Mass Effect.

I hope they go back more to Killzone 2: art, gameplay in SP (I loved the feeling of the gun and movement), death animations, more analogue look and feel of the image (people often call it blurry mess, but I love it) and KZ2 MP which was great.

I really think as well that GG reads tomuch journals and game reviews. Not only with respect to gameplay but also art design. Does anyone remember the first Killzone 2 gameplay they showed? It was absolutely phantastic! But press and moaners called it Greyzone and they started to introduce colors, even more so in KZ3 and now looking at the newest entry, one wonders what is left from original KZ art.
Just to be clear, the demo was taking place in the more utopian side of the wall. having color just adds more contrast to that setting versus the other side of the wall, which apparently you'll be able to play in too, which looks a lot less colorful.

What is it with people pissing and moaning about color...? It was the same thing with Diablo 3, and whatever flaws with that game (and there's plenty!), there being colors in the graphics is NOT one of them.

The PS4 KZ demo uses color really skillfully IMO, here you're being betrayed from within, in your own home, by the enemy. The bright sun and rich colors of "your" side of the city accentuates that. As you can see at the end of the demo, the opposite side of the world looks a LOT more oppressive, yet people get all hung up on what the "side of freedom" looks like.

It's just ridiculous, really. People complaining about this really have no sense at all.

KZ4 has the best colors i have ever seen in my life. I will never need colors again. highly skillful color usage.

The richer colors may give the "wrong" impression. The artstyle doesn't match a kill zone... need to see the battlefield. The KZ3 jungle had similar problems. It was colorful but not treacherous enough.

I like the colours. They could go for a really nice juxtaposition between brighter ISA side and a darker Helghast side of the city. That way each side helps the other stand out more. How dark is dark when you have nothing to compare it against.

From the gameplay footage is seems that the character movement is less "weighty" and not as much recoil on the gun. It's very unlike KZ2 perhaps. I don't mind either way. Liked the sense of weight in KZ2, but I also like fast accurate guns.

As long as it feels like it's from the same universe, I'm really hoping we get something new in Killzone SF.

I like the colours. They could go for a really nice juxtaposition between brighter ISA side and a darker Helghast side of the city. That way each side helps the other stand out more. How dark is dark when you have nothing to compare it against.

From the gameplay footage is seems that the character movement is less "weighty" and not as much recoil on the gun. It's very unlike KZ2 perhaps. I don't mind either way. Liked the sense of weight in KZ2, but I also like fast accurate guns.

As long as it feels like it's from the same universe, I'm really hoping we get something new in Killzone SF.

Yes, contrast would be good, but if they were to do another sinister colorful world, they may want to up the danger level.

It is also possible to go "single color" as long as it's beautiful and different like KZ2.

I noticed the cartoony animation too. More weight is definitely preferred here !

For those who might ask later, here is the second released and much more impressive Killzone 4 demo in HD from killzonedotcom's YouTube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUjQ4DJXLzw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also yes I hope we see more Grey Killzone. Even if a few vocal people didn't like it, I thought the Killzone 2 art was stunningly good.

I just played Killzone 2 a couple of days ago on my HDTV and it looked great, motion flow works well with the game too.

What is it with people pissing and moaning about color...? It was the same thing with Diablo 3, and whatever flaws with that game (and there's plenty!), there being colors in the graphics is NOT one of them.

The PS4 KZ demo uses color really skillfully IMO, here you're being betrayed from within, in your own home, by the enemy. The bright sun and rich colors of "your" side of the city accentuates that. As you can see at the end of the demo, the opposite side of the world looks a LOT more oppressive, yet people get all hung up on what the "side of freedom" looks like.

It's just ridiculous, really. People complaining about this really have no sense at all.

It's similar to Diablo 3, but it's not the same crybaby nonsense. If you played Killzone 1 when it first came out, you would understand.

No one has complained, for example, Killzone is not violent enough. Diablo 3's colour palette changed much less from Diablo 2 than Killzone Shadowfall has from KZ1 and KZ2. It's a much bigger difference. And people were calling that a cartoon. No one has said Killzone looks like a Saturday morning cartoon either, only that the change is noticed.

The reason for the colour palette in Killzone 1 was part of the different direction the directors wanted from other popular FPS. It was inspired by real wars, like WW1, except in space. The first level drops you in a trench in front of a minefield on Vekta, that should say something about the feelings they wanted to evoke. And no one can deny the parallel between the Nazi soldier gear from WW2 and the appearance of the Helghast.

The complaints aren't really about colour. It's a much bigger change than you make it out to be. Fans who were there from the beginning would understand. One of the things they used to talk about in the original Killzone is that they would never use laser weapons or anything that would seem unrealistic for a post-modern WW2 in space... enter Killzone 2 and 3 and there is a huge change, there are laser weapons.

It's not only the colour people would be worried about. Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 utterly destroyed the story telling in the series. Especially Killzone 3. GG has a problem it seems of taking too much inspiration from other games, especially with how 'dudebro' Killzone 3 is.

It's about series direction. Some people loved the WW2 in space, fighting nazi's direction. Like me. I'm sure it will be a great game in the end, but the sequel most fans wanted if they were there from the beginning was a true sequel to Killzone 1 and 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason Killzone SF reminds me a lot of Captain Power. Although not as dark :p

OOOOoohhh if only they could capture the dark atmosphere of Captain Power in Killzone.
That would have been very fitting for the series :)

Nostalgia has hit me. I miss the 80s shows

It's the very same crybaby nonsense.It's not taking place on wartorn Helghan anymore afterall. Destroying something pretty is more satisfying than wreaking havoc in a dump.
No its not. Its a matter of game identity.

When I started watching the event I started just right when they were showing Killzone. I had no idea what was that that they were showing. And I wasnt captured by the art (I didnt see the intro flying part btw).

And quite honestly it hadnt even passed through my mind it was Killzone. Until I saw a Helghast's glowing eyes that I thought it was Killzone. And even then I felt like I was seeing Helghast models imported into another game.

But the worst of all was how fast and light the gameplay looked. I couldnt get it out of my mind that I was looking at Call Of Duty based in the future.

It's similar to Diablo 3, but it's not the same crybaby nonsense. If you played Killzone 1 when it first came out, you would understand.
I say it IS the same crybaby nonsense, because nobody has played this KZ yet outside of the devs and Sony themselves, all we know about the game is what they've shown, which is no more than the equivalent of a fragment of the first level from other shooting games and that's it. Now people with limited minds and imagination are extrapolating the bright and colorful environs of the introduction level to cover the entirety of the gameplay experience whilst loudly whingeing about the "change" in atmosphere, mood etc, and there's just isn't any evidence to support something like that. Literally zero evidence! People are crying even though the game literally drops you off on top of the dark helghast side of the wall, looking down over their city.

The reason they showed this colorful bright level is because such graphics sell. It's a gobsmack introduction, that's why they showed it. Dark muddy dreary trenches - NOT SO MUCH. ;)

...So yeah, the crying seems a little itty bit premature to me.

Back