KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

A couple of things stick out for me.
It does not dip under 30 fps once which considering it is running on or was on lesser hardware than the final dev kit and it's still at pre alpha. Makes me think they either going to up the frame rate for the final release or more likely there's going to be much more taxing things going on that was in the reveal trailer.

Well he said usable RAM for graphics data. I assume then the rest is taken by OS and other game related data. Thats said I can think it will be a good increase with 8GB RAM available. Maybe atleast 3GB that can be dedicated to graphics alone.
I think a lot of you are reading far too much into this 1.5GB's of graphics data. It has nothing to do with the OS, they're completely unrelated.

You have to realize that the early developement kits are based off PC's, they aren't running on PS4 motherboards with unified memory (and AMD APU), they have a PC CPU, PC Graphics Cards (with video memory), and PC Main Memory.

Reports of "1.5GB's of graphics data", is just that, the PC Graphics card in the dev kits only have 1.5GB's of VRAM available (or used) by GG.

Let's not assume it has anything to do with the OS overhead :S

frankly, I find it strange that now that the PS4 has 8GB's of Ram, all of a suddon the OS is going to take up more than it originally was rumored to use (512MB)... I doubt Sony is so un-organized to not have known about some of these major features in the OS, before making some stakes in the ground for OS memory usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes as much sense as claiming that 3,5GB of RAM is the sweet spot for games, so they can give the additional 4GB to the OS for multi-tasking, or claiming that they obviously didn't need 8GB as 4GB because how unorganised are Sony to do something like that last minute etc.

its x86 developer friendly! Its basically a pc. Or so they say.

The importance there is that they were able to use almost completely off-the shelf components that have already been developed and readied for cheap mass production. This means saving billions of dollars on hardware R&D costs.

But since these components are put together differently than a PC and are not running a PC OS, the resulting system is still different from a PC.

At full 1080p, I am not gonna complain about dithering, nor am I about the use of postAA or bad aniso.

I think a lot of you are reading far too much into this 1.5GB's of graphics data. It has nothing to do with the OS, they're completely unrelated.

You have to realize that the early developement kits are based off PC's, they aren't running on PS4 motherboards with unified memory (and AMD APU), they have a PC CPU, PC Graphics Cards (with video memory), and PC Main Memory.

Reports of "1.5GB's of graphics data", is just that, the PC Graphics card in the dev kits only have 1.5GB's of VRAM available (or used) by GG.

Let's not assume it has anything to do with the OS overhead :S

frankly, I find it strange that now that the PS4 has 8GB's of Ram, all of a suddon the OS is going to take up more than it originally was rumored to use (512MB)... I doubt Sony is so un-organized to not have known about some of these major features in the OS, before making some stakes in the ground for OS memory usage.

Yes sounds reasonable that they where limited by PC GPU part VRAM. But I am not saying the rest is for OS alone in my example (which ofcourse if PC based devkit then system RAM of unknown size would be present). If you run a game on PC you'll see that besides the game eating up some 1-2GB of VRAM it also takes some 1-3GB of system RAM for assets to be streamed, sound files, engine files and so on besides the OS taking maybe 1GB on the PC. You'll end upp with around 3-6GB of overall RAM being used or more. Why games on PC have been going the 64bit route to be able to have more than 2GB of data in the system RAM besides what is in VRAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the game already looks bloody amazing I would prefer if they focused further improvements mainly in the anti-aliasing aspect of the game, that'd be awesome. Of course, better everything, including texture resolution etc, is also welcome. However, aliasing is a really big distraction, especially on big-screen TVs, so getting rid of as much as possible of that is prio. #1, IMO...

I would like them to focus on shooting and impact animations. And in the blood splash, that remains without volume. Watch Dogs first reveal video showed a good example of this. I hope it remains intact for the final version.

I don't know if they have tessellation or real time GI in yet, I'd say these two are worthy to be focused on if the ram can be in for any aid. Higher res textures and bigger levels are a also given but I wanna see how far they can push the particle effect coz both me and Shifty share the same passion for hyper impressive smokes.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/26/4029268/the-next-killzone-aims-to-prove-next-gen-gamings-worth

"For all intents and purposes the engine is brand new," he said. "It's our PlayStation 4 Killzone engine. Some large components, like pretty much all the animations, everything that's got to do with lighting, reflection, all of that has been ripped out completely [from the Killzone 3 engine] and replaced. It's been a real deep investment for us. This is all new stuff."

The way Guerilla plans to use that is to produce not just a more immersive experience, but a more complex one. And it's that complexity, more than anything else, that Ter Heide believes will help cement the bond players feel with the games they play and the characters that inhabit them.

Making a person care about a game, he says, is as simple as giving them control of the stories they tell within it.

"It's not necessarily about the story that we're telling, but it's your story," he said. "How did you play the game? It's interactive entertainment, so we can give you one play-through of the game, but that shouldn't be representative of everybody's experience. It should be different for everybody, and they should be able to tell their own story, to say, ‘This is what I did in this game.' I think those are the moments that, if people are actually going to say those types of things about our game, I think we did a really good job with."

Sounds interesting. I hope most of this isn't just PR talk.

Sounds expensive to create and QA all the possible branches ! :p
Is it like Heavy Rain's multi-path story advancement ? Or GTA type of open ended game ? Or something else ?

Interesting that the engine is brand new. I did notice the animation was a little jerky compared to the rest of the world. Hope to see more soon.

One thing I liked about what they've shown of the new Killzone is that there are actual civilians during gameplay. I found a little odd that there was no trace of them in KZ2 and KZ3. I mean we're invading a planet here, there should be some civilians.

I hope more of the story is told during gameplay, instead having cutscenes interrupt the gameplay every 5 minutes like in KZ3.

Sounds expensive to create and QA all the possible branches ! :p
Is it like Heavy Rain's multi-path story advancement ? Or GTA type of open ended game ? Or something else ?

Interesting that the engine is brand new. I did notice the animation was a little jerky compared to the rest of the world. Hope to see more soon.

This game is going to be amazing better than Heavy Rain in almost every respect, except the smoke. Better AI, better smoke, better levels. We saw some unknown beautiful future city resting on the cusp of cascading waterfalls. The vibrant greens and blues of this world alone set the game apart from the bulk of first-person shooters of this generation.

This game is going to be amazing better than Heavy Rain in almost every respect, except the smoke. Better AI, better smoke, better levels. We saw some unknown beautiful future city resting on the cusp of cascading waterfalls. The vibrant greens and blues of this world alone set the game apart from the bulk of first-person shooters of this generation.

I would hope it's better than a dated PS3 game.

Back