KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

I don't think anyone is calling it CGI .... it looks good but obviously it couldn't pass for CGI . Far from it .

No no no. What some are saying (or at least what I understood) is that portions of the game switch from CGI/Video to real time or a combination of both especially during the rope scene.
But actually even at the very end of the footage where the camera zooms away from the wall you can see the LOD transition :smile:

No no no. What some are saying (or at least what I understood) is that portions of the game switch from CGI/Video to real time or a combination of both especially during the rope scene.
But actually even at the very end of the footage where the camera zooms away from the wall you can see the LOD transition :smile:

I believe everything is real time ... it looks very good and it will get even better .

Dont most improvements and optimisations happen in the last year of development?

By the last year your engine should be feature complete. So it's unlikely for new things to be added. A lot of focus will be on bug fixing, polishing, optimization of performance, finishing levels, etc.

If you aren't basically feature complete. That means less time for the above and more chances that your game may not be fully optimized, polished and bug free.

For example, two of the best studios with regards to polish, bug fixes, game balance, etc. are Bungie and Blizzard. They both spend 6-12 months purely on polishing, balancing, and bug fixing with the games basically being feature complete (with regards to graphics) for 1+ years. They are still working on levels, etc. during that time. But no new graphical features will be added during that time.

Regards,
SB

Do you think you'll get to play as a character from each side of the war?

That what I was thinking about this artwork. Playing as both factions or multi characters like in KZ1.
We know that on the ISA side you control an ISA spec ops. But maybe we ' ll get to play as ahelghast infiltrator with his camo on. I'd love that but would require two campaigns ? I d love to see and play the war from a different point of view from each sides.

I hope they ll fix the many cloned npcs. We encountered many of the same models. Guerilla should also maybe put some diversities, maybe some female soldiers or different race types of characters.
I don't remember having diversified npcs in KZ2 ( on the ISa side of course).

By the last year your engine should be feature complete. So it's unlikely for new things to be added. A lot of focus will be on bug fixing, polishing, optimization of performance, finishing levels, etc.

If you aren't basically feature complete. That means less time for the above and more chances that your game may not be fully optimized, polished and bug free.

For example, two of the best studios with regards to polish, bug fixes, game balance, etc. are Bungie and Blizzard. They both spend 6-12 months purely on polishing, balancing, and bug fixing with the games basically being feature complete (with regards to graphics) for 1+ years. They are still working on levels, etc. during that time. But no new graphical features will be added during that time.

Regards,
SB

Guerilla Games ain't Bungie or Blizzard..

Here is comparison between pre-alpha footage from unveiling roughly 8 months before KZ3, and beta footage 4 months before it went gold.
http://www.gamersmint.com/killzone-3-stunning-alpha-code-vs-beta-code-comparison

I don't have a comparison to the gold build, but clearly there were alot of graphical change between the alpha and beta, and that were on a 6 year old console. :)

To make the game's graphics justice, there was also volumetric sun shafts going through the buildings in the scene. The actual 3d volumetric stuff, not post effect cheats. I did see that, so, that is another nice thing no current-gen game does (not in large scale for something like the sun) nobody here really mentioned so far...

Alan Wake?

Uncharted 3 does that at an even bigger scale at 720p. But it's not true volumetric either, I can't exactly explain it because my knowledge regarding this is limited.

I was wondering in which devkit this games was particularly demo,did we have any confirmation that 4GB devkit actually hit developers.?

Because i think this game could have been running on the 2.2GB of ram devkit.

Less than that.Most kits until pretty recently had only 1.5 GB usable for graphics

Less than that.Most kits until pretty recently had only 1.5 GB usable for graphics

:eek:
That low?
Do we have any source for that or is it information someone acquired from the inside?
It would be surprising if GG had only 1.5GB-2GB to work on like other third party devs considering they are part of Sony's WWS. Then again knowing this game was in development for 2.5 years the game must have been developed primarily on lower specs
If this is true that is amazing because things can improve amazingly high from now on and Killzone SF is just the tip on the iceberg.
Jumping from 2GB to 8GB is a massive difference

Thought it was 2.5 not 1.5? (edit 2.2)

Anyway, still much less than is available now.

Actually thought it looked considerably better than Killzone 2 (Not played 3 as it's not my type of game) while pushing twice the pixels.

Found the stuttering quite disheartening, and it was in the other games running on "PS4 hardware", hope that is nothing more than unoptimised code.

Last edited by a moderator:
watched it at 1080p: Superb ! also a lot of aliasing !

Hope EA shows BF4 soon, so that we can compare something ! But I guess we will never know if BF4 shown is actually running on a PS4 or not.

Alan Wake?

As I said "not in large scale for something like the sun", Alan Wake and a couple other games do have correct volumetric lighting, but it comes from spot or point lights, which have a limited volume. Doind this for the sun is much more expensive, although in KZ4 example, thats probably not too expensive as it seems to be very low res and probably height clamped, as I didn't see anything of that type on the actual area around the player and such, even when he was hanging from the hope down in the city.

Uncharted 3 does that at an even bigger scale at 720p. But it's not true volumetric either, I can't exactly explain it because my knowledge regarding this is limited.

What U3 does is trully volumetric, but similarly to alan wake, it's only done for a couple artist selected spot lights. They do fake true volumetric sun shafts in small controled environments where they place those small volume spotlights in sun-like positions ( I'm thinking a couple sections on the chateau and in the airplane scene ) When out in opend environments sun shafts use the 2d depth-based aproximation so popular this gen.

So the question is between now and end of the year, can GG utilize the new found ram in any meaningful way to improve graphics for their alpha stage Killzone title or is it too late already?
Could this be a similar case of Gears of war from Epic?
I hope tech guys here can provide detailed answer:).

Back