Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

As much as anything else I am looking forward to more controller innovations, especially as it looks like this time many of the controller improvements will be on both the Sony and MS boxes in some form or other and all of these will be in every box, instead of added later.

I'm really curious if Microsoft will have Move like tracking of their controller for instance and would consider it extremely like to have a touchpad (maybe with display) and sixaxis like features as well. This could mean that while FPS' will be made so that you can play them the exact same way you do know, I could imagine that you would have options to aim the gun independently of your head movements, use the controller as a pointer, etc.

I only just now discovered these UI screenshots on NeoGaf by the way:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514473
http://i.imgur.com/txyEltk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xYYx6y4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/O4DMGU8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lJhtBFp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4rq143x.png
http://i.imgur.com/w4Dix9t.jpg

Looks quite promising.

Also pretty amazing gif someone created at GAF of the old controller merging into the new:

http://i.minus.com/iAB7QvFv8wZuC.gif

Did you notice one of the pictures one username is DayZ100?

Leak!!1!11 :)

Bohemia Interactive was added to the list of developers supporting the PS4... :p

They were also taken off today hehe.

Via CVG.

Some of the developers who were non-committed/undecided were taken off.

So there is a new revised one with subtractions (mostly) and a few additions.

I prefer the Xbox controller over the current DS3 controller, but almost none of that has anything to do with stick placement.

The resistance on the sticks on the Xbox controller is better and the concave finger hold on the tops of the sticks provide better grip than the DS3's simple rounded top.

The 360 controller also feels better in the hand, less geometric than the DS3, its more organic curves match your grip and palms better.

However, for games that require dpad and face button mashing, eg. fighting games, Ninja Gaiden/ God of War the DS3 is definitely superior - the 360's dpad is useless and it's face buttons are slightly painful to mash.

Cornsnake,

CornSnake,
Here are some Sony Resources, that Show the Official PS4 Event.

Sony Official:
https://us.playstation.com/ps4/ (Enjoy playback speeds x0.25 to x2.0 @720p)

Playstation on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/RiNGZMx2vhY

CornSnake, is there really anything to gripe about? "J-Sony, loves you."

I think it's a matter of principal and as a point, a very big missed opportunity. Sony's PS4 market is foremost their loyal PS3/PS2/PSVita/PSP userbase. It would probably take a sole employee to simply organize one of the better 1080p feeds of the PlayStation4 announcement and upload it onto PSN. The PS4 announcement is big news - Sony want as many of their loyal fanbase to carry over and stand queues ready to get the PS4.

The sole fact that people need to go around looking for feeds instead of simply opening up PSN and downloading it shows what a big missed opportunity it is. I wouldn't be surprised if there are enough customers who regularly use PSN to check for latest news/games that are not that aware that PS4 is around the corner. They might have heard about it, but you're not going to get everyones interest if you don't feed them that information.

hmmm... I can see your point of view. {But from a movie point of view the 'mystery' of 720p is... cool?}

It might also be that Sony is waiting for the press to act out its response to the Announcement before Sony risks interrupting PS3 users with tentative information. It's probably beneficial to allow PS3 gamers to keep buying PS3 games for the new future. If you get to many saving up... TOO EARLY, then you wind up with people on EBAY with the 2-4 consoles they bought because of how long they have been setting aside money before its release.

Well that is my spin on the topic. Sony made sure all PS3 users to visit the Official YouTube Video. Febuary 11th YT was made available to everyone prior to the Feb 20th event.

I'm personally excited that PlayStation Plus, starting February is offering 18 Free Games, and adding 1 new Platinum Hits PS3 game for FREE every month. ~ /They seem to be/ working on creating a digital subscriber base, so there will be an online infrastructure in place, when PS4 arrives.

the only question is, will the subscribers be less or more likely to jump ship early if their accumulated free games arent working on PS4?
As far as I see it, everything just binds me more to the PS3, and I wont get a PS4 until there is enough content (and possible cheap one).

CornSnake,
Here are some Sony Resources, that Show the Official PS4 Event.

Thanks. Though it seems Sony doesn't love me enough to get PS4 website working properly on my PS3.

I have the PS3's Youtube app working now. It's definitely better than what we used have, but having seen that short 1080p Killzone SF trailer, the 720p Youtube gameplay footage really doesn't do it justice.

I think it's a matter of principal and as a point, a very big missed opportunity. Sony's PS4 market is foremost their loyal PS3/PS2/PSVita/PSP userbase. It would probably take a sole employee to simply organize one of the better 1080p feeds of the PlayStation4 announcement and upload it onto PSN. The PS4 announcement is big news - Sony want as many of their loyal fanbase to carry over and stand queues ready to get the PS4.

The sole fact that people need to go around looking for feeds instead of simply opening up PSN and downloading it shows what a big missed opportunity it is. I wouldn't be surprised if there are enough customers who regularly use PSN to check for latest news/games that are not that aware that PS4 is around the corner. They might have heard about it, but you're not going to get everyones interest if you don't feed them that information.

Yes it's the principle that bothered me the most. Here is something that should be easy to do. It's in Sony's best interest to do it. The fans would like it, and were probably expecting it. And yet Sony isn't doing it. Why? It really makes sense to me. They can't even bothered to try and sell you their own products.

When I have some friends over to play games I'd love to show them some of the cool stuff Sony showed at their Playstation event. But now all I have to work with are some fuzzy videos. Try explaining that. That'll leave a good impression.

Good to hear. For-what-it-counts the PS4 webpage doesn't work well on any computer.
It's not your PS3 that is at fault. :p Still got some things to improve before the console comes out.

NPL, I feel ya. Sony expressly stated during the PS4 Live Event, they are working towards having an Instant Online Library for new PS4 owners. So the content will be there. And the vague understanding from them seems to indicate, ONLINE DEMOS FOR EVERY SINGLE PS4 PRODUCED!!! woooowwww.

Thanks. Though it seems Sony doesn't love me enough to get PS4 website working properly on my PS3.

I have the PS3's Youtube app working now. It's definitely better than what we used have, but having seen that short 1080p Killzone SF trailer, the 720p Youtube gameplay footage really doesn't do it justice.

Yes it's the principle that bothered me the most. Here is something that should be easy to do. It's in Sony's best interest to do it. The fans would like it, and were probably expecting it. And yet Sony isn't doing it. Why? It really makes sense to me. They can't even bothered to try and sell you their own products.

When I have some friends over to play games I'd love to show them some of the cool stuff Sony showed at their Playstation event. But now all I have to work with are some fuzzy videos. Try explaining that. That'll leave a good impression.

Probably too swarmed. Their primary targets should be the netizens who are into games. Even so, it's not ideal since they don't link the recorded videos directly from the live presentation page. It affects all platforms, not just PS3.

The side effect is people are probably forced to use google search, which means there may be a surge in PS4 video search trend.

NPL, I feel ya. Sony expressly stated during the PS4 Live Event, they are working towards having an Instant Online Library for new PS4 owners. So the content will be there. And the vague understanding from them seems to indicate, ONLINE DEMOS FOR EVERY SINGLE PS4 PRODUCED!!! woooowwww.
They need to get the online demo streaming sorted from day one IMO. I downloaded 3 demos the other day from PSN, at 800, 500, and 3000 MBs. The two smaller games gave about 10 minutes gameplay and that was it (enough to know they were poop ;)) - they took longer to download than play. That's because they were trial and unlocks, which is a really heavy way to deliver a demo. The third was GOW whcih at least gave a reasonable taste. On a 40 GB a month cap, that 4+ GBs is not insubstantial. If Sony want me to try more demos, they need to make the demo process far easier. I think that's probably the most important target for Gaikai. Other features can build on that, but the one that'll generate returns in terms of more games sold will be streaming demos getting more people trying more content and finding more that they want to play.

If Sony want me to try more demos, they need to make the demo process far easier. I think that's probably the most important target for Gaikai.

Yes, fast start and pervasive access, including embedding PS4 demo games in webpages “everywhere”. Gaikai was designed to run as a browser plugin initially right ?

I wonder if they can use a segment of the final game for demo, instead of a (usually weak) demo based on download size restrictions and early code.

Yes, fast start and pervasive access, including embedding PS4 demo games in webpages “everywhere”. Gaikai was designed to run as a browser plugin initially right ?
If you don't have a PS4 controller attached to your tablet or TV or PC, what good is a game demo in a browser? :???:

If you don't have a PS4 controller attached to your tablet or TV or PC, what good is a game demo in a browser? :???:

Right ! I forgot. :D

Install DS4 driver together with the Gaikai plugin. Or demo the PC version instead (stream to PCs and Macs using mouse control). ^_^

EDIT:
*If* they plan this right, it should tie in with PS+ cross-buy, and user generated contents as well.

Imagine having us play your LBP levels right in your B3D forum post.

I think nextgen should have extensive Internet integration. I reckon the large and equal memory size on both platforms may also enable new and grand scale MMO ideas on consoles, together with user generated contents.

that will be nice. For those that logged in with PSN ID tied with PS4 they can PS4 games from anywhere from any platform using Gaikai. (tie this as PS+ feature?)

for other people its limited to game demos.
For more awesome experience, please buy the PS4 and PS plus :D

Probably too swarmed. Their primary targets should be the netizens who are into games. Even so, it's not ideal since they don't link the recorded videos directly from the live presentation page. It affects all platforms, not just PS3.

The side effect is people are probably forced to use google search, which means there may be a surge in PS4 video search trend.

A good point because one of the montages from Sony was the top viewed video on YT of last week I think.

Right now it sits at 25 million views or so. Also not counting the many views of other PS4 videos and duplicates of all of the above.

To those saying Sony has not delivered the goods to prospective owners on PSN... Sony already grabbed everyone's attention with or without PSN videos. They will bring more videos and media to official channels of distribution (such as their official site) when the time comes (E3).

And yes...

The most innovative piece of the whole show was Gaikai (MM notwithstanding). A service like that can truly change your perspective on how you use a console. That sense of immediacy won't be matched on any other console or PC if Sony is able to pull it off. To try out the latest and greatest console quality games at the click of a button is nothing short of a window shopper's wet dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most innovative piece of the whole show was Gaikai (MM notwithstanding). A service like that can truly change your perspective on how you use a console. That sense of immediacy won't be matched on any other console or PC if Sony is able to pull it off. To try out the latest and greatest console quality games at the click of a button is nothing short of a window shopper's wet dream.

You do realise you can already do this today on any computer using OnLive don't you?

I do.

But since not many people use the service, what is your point? Gaikai also existed before Sony bought it for $380 million or so.

Making the service only gets you half way there, and you don't get full credit for only doing that. Otherwise we'd have to credit some other company than Apple for creating the smartphone craze, which would be inappropriate.

Whoever wants to earn the credit for the revolution of cloud gaming has to actually have people move to cloud gaming. There's no consolation for nth place.

Back