Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

Yes things are always nonsense when other people think it is unimportant or don't understand them.

Anatomy is useless. I understand.

Actually, the video made me cringe when they said 'social' and yet showed a society of people all glued to their screens, oblivious to each other. "You need never leave your console gaming life behind and have to interact with that ghastly Real Life any more."

Yeah I enjoyed the irony of that.

They all feel fine to me. It's the games' control schemes that confuse me sometimes.

DS4 looks more comfy than DS3. Curious to see if I can detect the decreased latency.

The WII when playing classic games is not very good, besides that though i didn't have any issues with controllers during the past many years.

I find the XBOX controller very nice and have little to complain about it's an excellent controller.

But on the other hand i have played with my DS3 controller for many years and i have never had the problems that seems to be described whenever this discussion turns up. I usually call it selective feeling that very often goes hand in hand with the preferred platform of the poster.

Yes i got big hands, no not the size of basketball players, but i can hold a basketball with one hand :)
Maybe those that complain about the size are all mutants!

QD Demo
0J75Wu4.jpg

z4YQeD5.jpg

Shouldn't animating eyes be a big deal? That's probably the most difficult to animate since it has the most complicated musculature, at least on the surface of the face. Orbicularis oculi and palpebral muscles, frontalis, etc... They will all affect appearance and I would say take some horsepower maybe. Plus having to have all the mapping to shade it properly, a lot of geometry and work right?

Same with the mouth. Also no hair on that guy. He just seems modelled and textured and has shaders, no? That seems like far less of an achievement. I don't think any tech demos from Nvidia have compared well to what was shown in realtime on Wed.

QD claimed they would get this in game, so we will have to compare when they finally release a game!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn'it have subsurface scattering? I don't think so!
Uhh... what. Of course it does; that was the entire point in the technique/demo. Who the hell releases a skin demo without subsurface scattering? :D

Or more recent (but still a year ago now - time flies): http://www.iryoku.com/separable-sss-released and http://www.iryoku.com/open-your-eyes
Wouldn't be surprised if the Sony demo was based on the same tech. Neat demo no doubt, but I've mostly seen it before. That said, I sometimes forget that gamers don't always follow the research like I do :)

Wow that demo is extremely good. Do they say what they are running it on? Or what engine or anything?

You can clearly see his conjunctiva... Wow... Lol, and it's well modeled!

They should add some lacrimal punctae. Very small, but then every optometrist and ophthalmologist would be impressed :)

Also put a bit of vascularity on the conjunctiva of the eyelid, no ones conjunctiva is that clean lol.

The colouring of the eyes seems more natural in the QD one (yellow in older ppl is normal), but very close up to the conjunctiva this Blizzard one looks more vivid. Do they use that stuff in their FMV for StarCraft?

This is looking crazy realistic. I hope artists start working on asymettry :)

Wow that demo is extremely good. Do they say what they are running it on? Or what engine or anything?
It's just a tech demo - you can download it and run it on anything DX11 from the links provided. Runs well on anything decent IIRC, and yeah it's very well done. Would love to see the eye tech in particular used in more games.

Too different. Gamers at large may not find it fun. Is it going to be a Blu-ray game ?

I *think* Move 3D drawing game (e.g., Beat Sketcher) wasn't a big hit.

Tumble, the 3D Jenga game, is pretty neat but I don't know if many gamers bought into the 3D "air control" game. :)

May be hook it up to a 3D printer and beef up precision 3D authoring ?
[size=-2]and add mouse + tablet control[/size]

EDIT: or make it into a level creation tool for the new Playstation Home ? Like that popular building block game, Minecraft.

Shouldn't animating eyes be a big deal? That's probably the most difficult to animate since it has the most complicated musculature, at least on the surface of the face. Orbicularis oculi and palpebral muscles, frontalis, etc... They will all affect appearance and I would say take some horsepower maybe. Plus having to have all the mapping to shade it properly, a lot of geometry and work right?

Same with the mouth. Also no hair on that guy. He just seems modelled and textured and has shaders, no? That seems like far less of an achievement.

It came 6 years earlier on a GPU around 1/6th the power. My point is, why are you gushing over it? We're not talking about some kind of sony console magic here, just a pretty modest development of something that has been around for years.

It came 6 years earlier on a GPU around 1/6th the power. My point is, why are you gushing over it? We're not talking about some kind of sony console magic here, just a pretty modest development of something that has been around for years.

I'm not gushing over, just acting excited overall :)

I think the Molina demo for PS3 was more impressive than this for its time than than this new demo for now.

I thought the face demo was probably the lesser impressive parts of the whole conference. I don't see in general PS fans excited about that demo as much for Infamous and Killzone.

Edit:

I really like the asymmetry in the old guy's face though, that's probably just as impressive as any of the technical aspects. That is a good way to make something look more believable.

Even the ectropion and entropion of the eyes is although to the same degree, the skin folds are ever so slightly different, same with some features of the drooping under the eyes and the little nodule he has on the right side of his face.

His upper lip is also lifted upward or thicker on the right side. Great ways to make a 3D character become more realistic. Virtually no one in the world has a symmetrical face, there are hilarious pictures of face blending though! Lol, I remember some psychology study which blended faces to find which types of faces are the most attractive, it was kind of silly, but very interesting at the same time. They even 'mirrored' some famous actors and famous actresses faces, and claimed they become 'more attractive' with symmetry... oddly enough I found Angelina Jolie to be more attractive without total symmetry :)

I wonder what we would see if we compared the faces between Infamous, Deep Down, and this new face demo?

The faces in those games also appear very good, do we have clear shots of the faces in those?

David Cage is probably talking up the entire workflow from mocap to the final rendering on screen. He's been working on such a system for his past few games.

Too different. Gamers at large may not find it fun. Is it going to be a Blu-ray game ?

Tumble, the 3D Jenga game, is pretty neat but I don't know if many gamers bought into the 3D "air control" game. :)

EDIT: or make it into a level creation tool for the new Playstation Home ? Like that popular building block game, Minecraft.

I wonder though if Sony can advertise a "creation" game.

Is this enough to get media buzz? I wonder if 3D sculpting in real time can be a new "wow" thing.

I think creating your own works in virtual dimensions is a great idea. Even if MM makes their own different game using the same ideas, I would love for their to be a "PlayStation Workshop" demo or toolkit where users can maybe download for free and try their hand at 3D modelling in real space. I think that would be amazing!

As for advertising any such endeavours... the good thing is that they went with a new advertising company... I thought the presentation used a lot of great features. They even brought the Crash Bandicoot versus Nintendo HQ advertisement back lol :)

And that is exactly why I like Alex Evan's and MM and appreciate Sony.
It's absolutely unclear if there is a market for it, though LBP moved enough units, but they'll invest money in something that's completely different.
I don't need another FPS or RTS or Racing Game, I want to see new experiences and I have a soft spot for enabling end users, so it appeals to me.

Back