Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

Sounds resonable, but it'S still very annoying. Sony is definitely not receiving the credit they deserve.

If they launch with a reasonable price then I'm sure that the PS4 will be very successful. I was impressed how Mark Cerny explained the system. I have a feeling that this is going to be a great gaming system.

I think some of the criticism simply comes from press believing that the hardcore gaming industry doesn't matter anymore. And in terms of money-flow, they are not completely wrong - but I feel they are making the classic mistake of the either/or proposition, and the fact that the consoles have been made out of date by tablets and smartphones partly because they are, in fact, out of date in general (having been released before smartphones became 'the thing'). When new consoles appear and they have all the features that make consoles great (which includes media features), plus a lot of the stuff that makes smartphones and tablets successful, plus a lot of stuff that is currently 'hot' in the TV world, we will find out if the market for these consoles is smaller or bigger than before.

Either way, most of the features that interest the mainstream media, or make game journalists believe in the financially soundness of new console's future, have currently not really been shown. For the new PS Eye, all we know is that it tracks the Move better, and that's about it. In combination with the PS4, perhaps it could perform a proper magic mirror AR functionality with a make-up app, which would be the kind of thing to get the attention of the mainstream press. For streaming stuff to tablets and phones, we've seen Vita Remote Play, and that's a bout it.

Very few people have seen enough or thought long enough to make really sound observations. Socrates doesn't have many followers these days. ;)

I think some of the criticism simply comes from press believing that the hardcore gaming industry doesn't matter anymore. And in terms of money-flow, they are not completely wrong - but I feel they are making the classic mistake of the either/or proposition, and the fact that the consoles have been made out of date by tablets and smartphones partly because they are, in fact, out of date in general (having been released before smartphones became 'the thing'). When new consoles appear and they have all the features that make consoles great (which includes media features), plus a lot of the stuff that makes smartphones and tablets successful, plus a lot of stuff that is currently 'hot' in the TV world, we will find out if the market for these consoles is smaller or bigger than before.

Either way, most of the features that interest the mainstream media, or make game journalists believe in the financially soundness of new console's future, have currently not really been shown. For the new PS Eye, all we know is that it tracks the Move better, and that's about it. In combination with the PS4, perhaps it could perform a proper magic mirror AR functionality with a make-up app, which would be the kind of thing to get the attention of the mainstream press. For streaming stuff to tablets and phones, we've seen Vita Remote Play, and that's a bout it.

Very few people have seen enough or thought long enough to make really sound observations. Socrates doesn't have many followers these days. ;)

Yeah, for some of these mainstream writers obviously the problem was Sony only presented content, and not some silly gimmick that would make a good 5 minute segment on the nightly news like a crazy CES invention or magical new Apple feature. Ironically, that's mostly because they're too out of touch to recognize how big livestreaming games is getting. We're about 18 months from seeing those on the 5 o'clock news. "Could your son be an internet rockstar without you even knowing it? Meet Johnny. Like most kids his age he spends a lot of time playing games. Only Johnny has fans. Thousands of them. Last month he made $12,000 from his YouTube channel featuring clips of him playing through the latest games."

I am also thinking of a lot of possibilities that aren't as immediately obvious. For instance, I'm playing Ni No Kuni with my son. When a friend is over and I let him play along with us, then I usually show him the introduction first on youtube, of a playthrough of the first half hour. The last kid doesn't actually understand the difference, and keeps trying to press buttons on the youtube movie on the iPad.

Very understandable ... but I'm thinking, my iPad can't even hold this game. 16GB on the thing, of which a fraction is available after my regular stuff is installed (mail, newspaper stuff, few smaller games etc.), and Ni No Kuni is 21GB on the Playstation 3.

But if I could play this on Playstation 3, and occasionally switch to a cloud version on the iPad, that should work pretty well for a game like this, and for huge JRPGs in general.

I know I'm late to the topic, but I thought Sony did a great job revealing the ps4. Happy the share function is there, the leap in performance looks good, and I like how they made it more dev-friendly. The amount of memory was a welcome surprise too.

Hell, I was just happy to see more of Destiny :p

Actually do you remember back was it in 2004 or 2005 that Perfect Dark screen shot? The 360 launch titles, you don't remember those times? People were saying the same things: "OMG diminishing returns, OMG God War 2 looks so much better than that, I see no reason to upgrade." This was the press and gamers alike. Same shit just years later but then we got Gears of War and they shut-up.

I'm not sure these transitions are really comparable. Studios are much better prepared for these upcoming consoles than they were for the ps360.

Says the guy that pointed out every difference between PS3 and xbox360 multiplatform game and also made everyone aware of technical deficiencies of every PS3 exclusive and the difference between those 2 consoles was less than 5 %

What we do and talk about on these forums doesn't apply to the masses who don't have a clue. These are the people he's talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I hear correctly that thats a screen and not just a touch pad?

I havent noticed before that the blood splatter actually interacts with the lighting :)

I know I'm late to the topic, but I thought Sony did a great job revealing the ps4. Happy the share function is there, the leap in performance looks good, and I like how they made it more dev-friendly. The amount of memory was a welcome surprise too.

Hell, I was just happy to see more of Destiny :p

I read a few articles on Destiny. Don't understand the concept. What exactly is it ?

Maybe the problem is that many people from the press that are presenting these critics are not really people qualifyed enough on the topic? Hard to blame them though - smartphones and tablets brought gaming (well, mini games) to millions of people - millions of people that never bought a console or PC for gaming. For them, the headlines are that Sony as a brand is struggling and that Samsung, Google and Apple are taking over the world. And when it comes to 'real' games, they look at Wii (not Wii-U) because it's the console that is the most 'casual' friendly and sold the most.

Unfortunately that also means that suddenly many that play the occasional Angry Bird on their iPhone seem to think to know what gaming is. To me it just sounds like the comments from a market that buys into smartphones and tablets that is not overly enthusiastic about a console they never bought anyway. The press that has been playing games and buying consoles IMO do sound pretty excited.

IMHO, the gaming press is the industry's biggest problem. :devilish:

Did I hear correctly that thats a screen and not just a touch pad?

I havent noticed before that the blood splatter actually interacts with the lighting :)

Looks less washed out than the PS Meeting demo. :)

I am also thinking of a lot of possibilities that aren't as immediately obvious. For instance, I'm playing Ni No Kuni with my son. When a friend is over and I let him play along with us, then I usually show him the introduction first on youtube, of a playthrough of the first half hour. The last kid doesn't actually understand the difference, and keeps trying to press buttons on the youtube movie on the iPad.

Very understandable ... but I'm thinking, my iPad can't even hold this game. 16GB on the thing, of which a fraction is available after my regular stuff is installed (mail, newspaper stuff, few smaller games etc.), and Ni No Kuni is 21GB on the Playstation 3.

But if I could play this on Playstation 3, and occasionally switch to a cloud version on the iPad, that should work pretty well for a game like this, and for huge JRPGs in general.

Yeah streaming from PS4 to iPad would be great.

Yeah, for some of these mainstream writers obviously the problem was Sony only presented content, and not some silly gimmick that would make a good 5 minute segment on the nightly news like a crazy CES invention or magical new Apple feature. Ironically, that's mostly because they're too out of touch to recognize how big livestreaming games is getting. We're about 18 months from seeing those on the 5 o'clock news. "Could your son be an internet rockstar without you even knowing it? Meet Johnny. Like most kids his age he spends a lot of time playing games. Only Johnny has fans. Thousands of them. Last month he made $12,000 from his YouTube channel featuring clips of him playing through the latest games."

I totally agree with you.

The "social" aspect of the PS4 is my main gripe. the "social" aspects are exactly what people do instead of meeting in real life. Its ok for sessions with people you might never meet - but I feel there will be as much 2 or 4 player local multiplayer games like in this generation, likely less.

Hardware wise I dont have complaints.... well... maybe I wont get a new PC this summer because of this =)

I read a few articles on Destiny. Don't understand the concept. What exactly is it ?

We don't have many details really, but it sounds like a light MMOFPS. Unless I'm mistaken, you meet up with other people in towns/hubs and go on quests together. Kind of reminds me of PSO but as a FPS.

The "social" aspect of the PS4 is my main gripe. the "social" aspects are exactly what people do instead of meeting in real life. Its ok for sessions with people you might never meet - but I feel there will be as much 2 or 4 player local multiplayer games like in this generation, likely less.

Hardware wise I dont have complaints.... well... maybe I wont get a new PC this summer because of this =)

The new controller is a dream for multi-player gaming though, with the system knowing where everyone is sitting. For the first time you won't have to change hands or seats to sit on the side of the couch that matches the side of the screen you're playing. :D The PS Eye can simply see where what controller is and adjust accordingly. And if you pick green, then your controller can show green, etc. so if you take a break, very easy to quickly identify which controller was yours.

I'm very, very curious how well the regular controller can work as a pointing device, too. Won't replace the Move for everything, but between the led being recogniseable and having the touchpad for swipes, there's some good options there.

The "social" aspect of the PS4 is my main gripe.
Actually, the video made me cringe when they said 'social' and yet showed a society of people all glued to their screens, oblivious to each other. "You need never leave your console gaming life behind and have to interact with that ghastly Real Life any more."

The new controller is a dream for multi-player gaming though, with the system knowing where everyone is sitting. For the first time you won't have to change hands or seats to sit on the side of the couch that matches the side of the screen you're playing. :D The PS Eye can simply see where what controller is and adjust accordingly. And if you pick green, then your controller can show green, etc. so if you take a break, very easy to quickly identify which controller was yours.

I'm very, very curious how well the regular controller can work as a pointing device, too. Won't replace the Move for everything, but between the led being recogniseable and having the touchpad for swipes, there's some good options there.

I was hoping they would change the d-pad and the placing of the analog sticks, along with making the controller bigger overall but unfortunately none of that happened. :cry:

I'll cope but these controllers suck for us big handed people. :p

Right how cheap are all those sony phones again compared to an iphone?

Doesn't really matter. Different device, audience, different established prices/ performance/expectations.

Otherwise what happened with the 600$/ steak dinner/ second job wouldn't have would it?

You want to charge like an iPad you are going to have to offer something very compelling that is considerably more than just a game console that can double as a media center.

Doesn't really matter. Different device, audience, different established prices/ performance/expectations.

Otherwise what happened with the 600$/ steak dinner/ second job wouldn't have would it?

You want to charge like an iPad you are going to have to offer something very compelling that is considerably more than just a game console that can double as a media center.

Right, which is why I said content is king....thanks for proving my point.

I was hoping they would change the d-pad and the placing of the analog sticks, along with making the controller bigger overall but unfortunately none of that happened. :cry:

I'll cope but these controllers suck for us big handed people. :p

The new controller is slightly bigger.

Back