Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

Does anyone here truly know how much 8GBs of gddr5 memory will cost?

The way i look at it is, you can't compare the price. Lets say the cost of 8gb ddr5 memory is $150. Since the ps4 will be mass produced it won't cost anywhere near that. To me i think of it like a deal from sony to the hardware provider, you buy in bulk and save money.

How much do you think that matters? How high do you think the margins are on gddr5? They might get a few% knocked off, but I doubt there is a lot of room downward in ram pricing over what AMD might be paying.

Part of me thinks Sony over reacted with the 8 gigs of gddr5. Windows 8 can get by with 1 and recommends 4 while 32 CU AMD parts gets by with 3 gigs. Im still have a hard time reasoning the need for 8 gigs with 8 jags and 18 CU setup. Seems like overkill. I hoping this decision doesnt hurt Sony in the long run.

Didnt MS spent north of 1 billion for an extra 256 mb? Has ram become that cheap?

It does not... it's pretty much dead once these new consoles enter the market.

It will be lacking in graphics, it will be lacking in online features and it will be a lot slower, and the one thing going for it - the touchpad controller with remote play - has already been matched by Sony and will probably be matched by MS too.
I hate to say it but you are totally correct. Can't you help but wonder what nintendo is going to do now? All they could do is try to innovate and keep releasing those yearly mario games.

How much do you think that matters? How high do you think the margins are on gddr5? They might get a few% knocked off, but I doubt there is a lot of room downward in ram pricing over what AMD might be paying.

Who knows what the margin is. But any customer who purchases 4x as much product as your next best customer has a good deal of negotiating power, imo. eg: walmart, apple

Part of me thinks Sony over reacted with the 8 gigs of gddr5. Windows 8 can get by with 1 and recommends 4 while 32 CU AMD parts gets by with 3 gigs. Im still have a hard time reasoning the need for 8 gigs with 8 jags and 18 CU setup. Seems like overkill. I hoping this decision doesnt hurt Sony in the long run.

Didnt MS spent north of 1 billion for an extra 256 mb? Has ram become that cheap?

I really think they felt the need to swing for the fences which is one reason to have this show so soon even before hardware was ready.

They are playing catch up form last gen not meeting expectations and having 360 and Wii take so much market share compared to PS2.

will probably work for them but you know what they say about peaking too early :smile:

plus as mentioned earlier like MS, they know 8GB was necessary to supplement all of the additional social and gamer creature comforts they both want to offer. (GDDR5 though?) wow

Who knows what the margin is. But any customer who purchases 4x as much product as your next best customer has a good deal of negotiating power, imo. eg: walmart, apple

Of course there is a thing like contracts that get in the way. Nvidia and AMD have been buying gddr 5 for years now and most likely have large orders in for the next few years. Sony will have to slot in between them. Also if sony is using higher density chips the factorys may simply not be able to produce enough to give sony a discount , the price may actually go up for sony.

Sure there might be 90 million PCs, but how much of them have a graphics card with GDDR5 memory?

Not to mention tablets or smart phones, they are using pretty basic parts because of the very limited battery capacity, form factor, and retail prices.

I doubt that GDDR5 equipped video cards could sell more than, say, 5-10 million units at this time. An order from a console vendor with 60-100 million units will stand out, no doubt about that.

I doubt 5-7 gens of amd and nvidia gpus only manage to move 5-10 million parts with highend ram over a 5-7 year period.

RAM is the number one thing developpers tend to talk about running out of.
But you're saying this is unbalanced, no need for so much high speed memory? just a regular heirachy of system ram & faster VRAM + caches, with paging mechanisms going on to manage it?

personally I always thought the amount of fast memory needed would be bound by the size of the final image, some multiple for overdraw obviously.

i wondered if a console could have a hardware managed cache (i.e. driven by texture lookup so its aware of miplevels) large enough to hold a frames worth of source data, from frame to frame.. has anything ever done that?
it seems like this is a smarter vs harder issue

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, except the ram market is already very competitive and margins probably aren't that high, so there won't be a lot of room to move.

I really think they felt the need to swing for the fences which is one reason to have this show so soon even before hardware was ready.

They are playing catch up form last gen not meeting expectations and having 360 and Wii take so much market share compared to PS2.

will probably work for them but you know what they say about peaking too early :smile:

plus as mentioned earlier like MS they know 8GB was necessary to supplement all of the additional social and gamer creature comforts they want to offer. (GDDR5 though?) wow

8 gigs on durango was probably feasible because its ddr3. But 8 gigs of gddr5? I want Sony to swing for fences but they could of done that with more CUs.

RAM is the number one thing developpers tend to talk about running out of.
but you're saying this is unbalanced, no need for so much high speed memory? just a regular heirachy of system ram & faster VRAM + caches, with paging mechanisms going on to manage it?

Complaining about RAM on consoles common when they came with very little while being shared between the gpu and cpu. But i havent heard anyone complain about 7970 or 680 lacking RAM.

And MS needs confound me even further with its ddr3 and only 12 CUs.

Complaining about RAM on consoles common when they came with very little while being shared between the gpu and cpu. But i havent heard anyone complain about 7970 or 680 lacking RAM.

And MS needs confound me even further with its ddr3 and only 12 CUs.

if that is correct.

It does not... it's pretty much dead once these new consoles enter the market.

It will be lacking in graphics, it will be lacking in online features and it will be a lot slower, and the one thing going for it - the touchpad controller with remote play - has already been matched by Sony and will probably be matched by MS too.

What about the games coming for it?

Werll most of the specs were correct so I gues microsoft could go 16GB's of ram but they'd have a hard time showing much difference other then more multitasking..? to justify the increased cost.

Killzone Shadow Fall blew my mind, I expected a big leap but not of this magnitude! Yep a new graphics benchmark has been set, including the PC. I wonder what resolution it's rendered at, has to be 1080p with dat 8gig GDDR5 ram right?

I'm beginning to think I am the only one who likes the new controller.
Honestly, I don't hate it. It's just different from the tried and true, so it's the typical adjustment period as per usual with change. But, I really think it looks nice from that angle, no matter how stupid the reason. I'm sure once I try it out, it'll grow on me.

Not really. 14 + 4 might be your typical setup for most devs. 8 jaguar cores arent all that impressive by themselves and werent designed to run in isolation.

It kills the idea that 4 of the CUs are somehow different or physically separated from the rest like many here were speculating.

Back