Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

Simply yes. Far better textures and maps will probably be a prime result. Of course caching to make loading faster and open worlds contain more details and be more seamless is also a good use. Even more memory for better sound is nice (no more excuses for racing games to sound like a vacuum cleaner imho)

Yeah, I still think that $430 price point is very doable. And the $30 bump is very palatable given the RAM bump.

They wouldn't just imply if they had that deal. Sony would have been screaming it. Perhaps timed exclusive content. Who knows.

Yeah, true - oh well, we'll have to see.

I'm not putting it past MS that they're not happy with Battle.net running on Durango, making Blizzard go exclusive with Sony (prob along with some other incentives).
Much like Valve with Steam on PS3.

Blizzard now on GT. Pretty much saying that Diablo III won't be PS exclusive.

I guess my only question is, how feasible will it really be for developers to really use all that memory? I mean.. That's a ton of RAM.

Will the CPU and GPU even be capable of using that much effectively? Novice question I'm sure, but it just seems like developers have so much room to spread their legs out..

According to that chart, 8GB of GDDR5 would cost them like $70.

4.35 (512MB) x 16 (8GB) = $69.60

4350 doesnt have gddr5. Look at a 6850 or something with gddr5 at a reasonable speed.

Full specs

Main Processor Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based
graphics engine
Memory GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk Drive Built-in
Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/O Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
AV output HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

The PS4 system architecture is distinguished by its high performance and ease of
development. PS4 is centered around a powerful custom chip that contains eight x86-64 cores
and a state of the art graphics processor.
The Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) has been enhanced in a number of ways,
principally to allow for easier use of the GPU for general purpose computing (GPGPU) such as
physics simulation. The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively
generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation
tasks, or some mixture of the two.
PS4 is equipped with 8 GB of unified system memory, easing game creation and
increasing the richness of content achievable on the platform. GDDR5 is used for this memory,
giving the system 176 GB/second of bandwidth and providing a further boost to graphics
performance.

Because this isn't going to inflate the unit cost by hundreds. They could probably sell this at like $400 for a reasonable loss here.. I mean the GPU and CPU are good, but they're not some crazy home brewed creation that them millions- like Cell. They're fairly standard parts courtesy of their relationship with AMD. The thing is an APU.. An AMD APU.

So, to me, the most expensive aspect will be the memory yes. But it won't drive it up to PS3 cost levels.

For that matter, GDDR5 while expensive is still not as exotic as the XDR they shipped with PS3 attached to Cell.

PS3's "high cost" components:
XDR
Cell
Blu-Ray drive

PS4's "high cost" components:
8GB of GDDR5

Because:
Blu-Ray drives are far, far cheaper.
They're not using a complex custom CPU or GPU.
They're not using highly complex and niche memory, like Rambus XDR.

Yeah, the Drive is much cheaper. I didn't even think about that or even include that.
The graphics chip is still powerful at 1.8 TF and the memory is the most expensive and it's not going to be PS3 $600, but it will probably be around $500 something or slightly higher. I can't see it being much lower than $500 and that is not going to be taking over the market in this economy.

So, while I think Killzone was sweet, I think the PS4 isjust too expensive for most people in this economy. So, they are still making the same mistake as the PS3.

搭載されている18個のコンピュートユニットは全体で1.84テラフロップスの演算能
力を有し、その性能をグラフィック機能やコンピューティング機能、またはその二つに自由に割り当てることが可能です。

Translate: 18 CUs free to dedicate to graphics or compute efforts as devs like.

14+4 seems to be out the window.

In the paper it also says that live streaming is not limited to Ustream.
Expected, twitch and ustream and other stuff all take FMLE/Xsplit/OBS so I wouldn't be surprised.

Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4, gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from the controller in hand.

Woot headset with every console. Love the 3.5mm headphone jack! Man the really have gone all out.

Back