Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

So far most stuff looks like a bigger jump than I expected.

So, how big a leap is this over current gen?

Probably won't know till about year 3-4 of the console life when the tools are mature and developers are making ground up games and engines for next gen.

But I'm being too logical so I'm sure some fanatics will be along shortly to dispute this.

Dunno, find it hard to believe myself. If the PS3 had "won" the console wars and Sony was swimming in cash I could see them selling this for ~$400 and taking an assumed (hefty?) loss up front, but not sure how now.

I'm just at a loss I guess. Because the conversations with guys alot smarter than me brooked no real option for it being viable.

And then they just kind of toss out "lul btw, it has 8GB of GDDR5".

wtf?

Probably won't know till about year 3-4 of the console life when the tools are mature and developers are making ground up games and engines for next gen.

But I'm being too logical so I'm sure some fanatics will be along shortly to dispute this.

My guess. ..with 16 times the ram. .unified...and gcn...we are looking at 10-15 times once bedded in...it has to be.

Should be obvious, but remember these are first generation titles that aren't even complete yet. Remember how Resistance or Perfect Dark looked compared to Killzone or Halo 4. We can't judge the graphical jump yet.

Crysis 3 spoiled us a bit me thinks. But I'm glad about 8gb gddr5 unified though. Someone should be able to make something clearly unique with that.

You're prepared to leave your GS behind...? :oops:

Maybe not since I'm the bane of most "core gamers" existence lol. My son is getting older but I'd still like to see some (read: A LOT) E-T stuff...which I know MS will have with Kinectv2 though Knack has me the most hyped of everything I've seen so far (obviously we're still going...).

As an aside: Next-Gen racing is going to be amazing visually.

I don't really expect complete engine rewrites any longer - the fundamental architecture of the hardware hasn't changed as much as with the PS2-3 jump.

Everyone can just usually clear up the limitations from lack of memory and computing power and bandwidth; then they can focus on adding new features that weren't possible to fit in last gen. Most games had to make choices of what to leave out, now that limitation is most likely gone.

Most of the graphics related development will now focus on more or less the following, IMHO:
- character animation
- lighting and shadow quality
- dynamic cloth and hopefully hair
- replacing the 2D alpha blended quads of particle based effects and volumetrics with something better

Back