NPD January's 2013

you might wanna recheck how far mobile cpu's have come
the one in my smartphone scores over 2000 on geekbench (4 cores @ 1.5ghz)
now I dont think desktops could typically match that 12 years ago, do you?
hell this thing is faster than my desktop from ~6 years ago :)

Amusing.

You think that is actually faster than any of the following?

Core 2 Extreme QX6800 – 2.93 GHz (2×4 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB) (April 9, 2007)
Core 2 Extreme QX6700 – 2.66 GHz (2×4 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB) (November 14, 2006)
Core 2 Quad Q6700 – 2.66 GHz (2×4 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB) (July 22, 2007)
Core 2 Quad Q6600 – 2.40 GHz (2×4 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB) (January 7, 2007)

The lowest one on there. The Q6600 can score over 6000 in Geekbench. (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/view/52710 ) That link isn't the highest or lowest in their database.

3x the Geekbench score at only 2.13x the processor speed. The 6000 score was achieved with a 3.2 ghz clockspeed I believe.

Even a lowly Core 2 Duo E4300 (budget C2D) (From 2006) averages over 2000 in Geekbench (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?q=e4300 )

It doesn't even come close to 4 core processors released in 2006, much less 2007.

Regards,
SB

You might wanna recheck what theyld written.

they were saying a desktop from 2005 = mobile in 7 years time ~2020 (ala a year difference ~14 years)
what I was doing is showing that todays mobiles easily are faster than desktops of ~14 years ago.
thus I think a mobilephone in 2020 will easily beat a 20005 desktop/console

Halo 4 still in the top 10 is good news for 343.
I wonder how successful Spartan Ops was - it looks like they are going to do a second season though.

If sales were average ~11k a week.. who knows how low they were actually at the end of tracking period. Did they crash from Week 1 20k to 5k?

It will have hard time topping 50k a month before fall

You might wanna recheck what theyld written.

they were saying a desktop from 2005 = mobile in 7 years time ~2020 (ala a year difference ~14 years)
what I was doing is showing that todays mobiles easily are faster than desktops of ~14 years ago.
thus I think a mobilephone in 2020 will easily beat a 20005 desktop/console

You might want to read it again.

here you go

Which was his response to someone predicting desktop power coming to mobiles in 7 years.

Hence the reply that you aren't getting current desktop power in 7 years. You MIGHT get desktop power from 7 years ago, 7 years from now.

But yes, I see you only said your desktop which I guess could have been an old single core Athlon 64 or older, as even the Pentium 4's and Athlon 64 X2's or 2005 could surpass 2000 Geekbench.

But yes, in 14 years it is quite possible that mobile could surpass modern desktops, but I'm highly doubtful as they are starting to hit the power wall that desktop CPUs started to run into back in 2005.

Regards,
SB

Last financial report had them burning through it quickly. 5bil is what I recall was still left.

They will likely find success in Japan but US and likely Europe is a writedown at this point.

Time to go back to the drawing board. Moving software and services to the US would go a long way towards being clued in.

5Bil?
They have 10 billion dollars in cash and short term investments ( bonds)...

still didn't they have tens of billions of dollars, how could it all have disappeared considering their profits from wii and portables?
What I can't figure about the wii:u is how the hardware is not profitable.
maybe the customizations for retaining BC made it that expensive?

But yes, in 14 years it is quite possible that mobile could surpass modern desktops, but I'm highly doubtful as they are starting to hit the power wall that desktop CPUs started to run into back in 2005.

Regards,
SB

Also the nodes are slowing down so theres a second downer on that idea right there.

5Bil?

still didn't they have tens of billions of dollars, how could it all have disappeared considering their profits from wii and portables?maybe the customizations for retaining BC made it that expensive?

Nintendos net cash position has been more or less stable since 2008, around 10-12 billion usd. ( note short term investments such as gov. bonds are very necessary for when you have large cash positions as it pays better than deposits and is safer).

I dunno whet you people get your data from, (annual reports for listed companies are public, why base it on hearsay, took me 5 minutes to check - on an iPhone no less - their net cash position the last 5 years, dividends 400-1 billion usd a year and capex ( didn't write this down so might be off) )

nintendo has never had tens of billions of dollars laying around.

They had roughly the same net cash position the last 5 years..

Nintendos net cash position has been more or less stable since 2008, around 10-12 billion usd. ( note short term investments such as gov. bonds are very necessary for when you have large cash positions as it pays better than deposits and is safer).

I dunno whet you people get your data from, (annual reports for listed companies are public, why base it on hearsay, took me 5 minutes to check - on an iPhone no less - their net cash position the last 5 years, dividends 400-1 billion usd a year and capex ( didn't write this down so might be off) )

nintendo has never had tens of billions of dollars laying around.

They had roughly the same net cash position the last 5 years..

Nice to know, I remember once hearing they had like 30B, guess it was wrong info.

Do you guys think things could get better for the Wii U in the fall?

It needs a killer game, is there one coming in the fall?

As down as I've been on the wiiu I think it likely it will wind up with Gamecube like numbers and ultimately be a profitable venture for them.

Do you guys think things could get better for the Wii U in the fall?

Yes.

They could cancel it this summer and have a firesale to clear inventory. $100 wiiu would do pretty well I'd assume ;)

Seriously, the smart thing for them to do would be to box up a AMD trinity with a Wiimote, brand it WiiHD and sell a boat load this Christmas.

No shenanigans with a tablet. No crazy high prices. No confusing messages.

Same wii, just in higher fidelity and able to handle low res ports of the ps4/xb3

I would assume that the "big guns" from a software stand point will ship on WiiU this coming XMas.
They'll have inventory and it's likely other new systems will not, which will also help.

Having said that I think the lack of 3rd party interest is going to be hard to overcome, if Nintendo isn't seeing the big 3rd party titles, I think they are in trouble.

I would assume that the "big guns" from a software stand point will ship on WiiU this coming XMas.
They'll have inventory and it's likely other new systems will not, which will also help.

Having said that I think the lack of 3rd party interest is going to be hard to overcome, if Nintendo isn't seeing the big 3rd party titles, I think they are in trouble.

Question is, as a developer, why dedicate resources to a platform selling like this?

Smart money would be on establishing a presence on the new ps4/xb3 and milking the ps3/xb360 userbase.

Unless Nintendo offers cash for their troubles...

This is somewhat OT, but Nintendo should announce some games coming out this year in next month's ND. Maybe that could help sales.

This is somewhat OT, but Nintendo should announce some games coming out this year in next month's ND. Maybe that could help sales.

I don't think announcing a game is going to help much, they need it on shelves. Nintendo is going to have a rough few months ahead, they have the resources to ride it for a while and hopefully the games will come.

Back