Planetary Annihilation

This lookspromising.
Trying to finish the OTA Krogoth mission in under half an hour (and failing :oops:) has gotten boring lately. Hopefully PA turns out to have as much appeal and longevity as TA.

Well since this thread got a bump...

It was supposed to be out at Xmas, not sure what it does for the Kickstarter thing but they changed over to 'When its done'.

Game is really coming along with most of the main features in place & working pretty well.

There are a bunch of good gameplay/commentary videos eg by ZaphodX
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZaphodX1

Here is a recent 3 v 6 on 3 planets
http://youtu.be/9tqIUEz2e4I

Quick 2v2v2v2v2
http://youtu.be/wTmzjH6PGbs

Edit:
Also the first official tournament 2v2 teams.
http://www.twitch.tv/zaphodx1/b/515046999
First round is on a single small planet, pretty intense short.
2nd round 1 bigger planet, 1 small.
Final with 2 planets & a movable moon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest patch has brought new Galactic Map mode.

Currently single player only campaign starting with a basic, research limited Commander, gain tech-ups by conquering systems.

'Quick' (like 4hr) playthrough by Zaphodx1 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unBSoxRBXAo&list=UUY75Oc9isHEPZZHTwWvrKEw&feature=share&index=3
He was one of the top SupCom players, is a top PA player (eg here which was supposed to be 2 v 3 v 3 but his parter failed to load successfully & wins solo vs 6 enemies... :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq4Ed4gqIu4) so he obliterates the AI pretty easy, gives a good overview of the play & has some good interviews with devs while he plays.

Also a bunch of other tweaks.

And Early Access has been on sale on Steam, (still is for next 7hrs) US $30 which is a really good price.
Regular price is down to US$50.

So I've bought it, been having some fun though is more of a system hog than I'd been ready to expect, should have though.

Currently single player only campaign starting with a basic, research limited Commander, gain tech-ups by conquering systems.

'Quick' (like 4hr) playthrough by Zaphodx1 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unBSoxRBXAo&list=UUY75Oc9isHEPZZHTwWvrKEw&feature=share&index=3
He was one of the top SupCom players, is a top PA player (eg here which was supposed to be 2 v 3 v 3 but his parter failed to load successfully & wins solo vs 6 enemies... :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq4Ed4gqIu4) so he obliterates the AI pretty easy, gives a good overview of the play & has some good interviews with devs while he plays.

Also a bunch of other tweaks.

And Early Access has been on sale on Steam, (still is for next 7hrs) US $30 which is a really good price.
Regular price is down to US$50.

So I've bought it, been having some fun though is more of a system hog than I'd been ready to expect, should have though.

Thanks for the heads up, decided to buy as well.

As someone totally uninterested in multiplayer games but craving for a single-player RTS, this just got into my wishlist.

I don't know if anyone has noticed it & I don't think it spoils the actual game but Uber have done something really rather odd.

There is a boxed Retail version of the Early Access in stores.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/01/planetary-annihilation-boxed-copy/

I mean, the game is in a pretty good state: more feature complete, balanced & not obviously bug riddled than a hell of a lot of higher profile official 'completed' games I've bought recently & I can understand online sales with a big 'beware this is early access, unfinished state' but I think putting it in a box on shelves is really a step too far.

Wargaming, the developers who created World of Tanks have bought the intellectual property of two Atari Games, Total Annihilation and Master of Orion. This means that a new sequel of Total Annihilation -one of my favourite RTS games ever- might be in the works.
OMG. This is horrific news.
Wargaming is now #1 asshole of the gaming industry in my book. Asshole, that makes EA in comparison seem like a respectable and ethical company, who's just trying to make some $.

Why is this so horrific, surely merely buying up dormant IP is not enough to warrant such extreme prejudice against a company?

Reading my comment again, I see I kind of worded it poorly, sorry.

Clarification: I didn't mean I considered WG assholes because they bought the IP. I considered them assholes for a entirely preexisting reason (their conduct with WoT precisely, what else)

I don't want them to make a TA Next game. I really hope they just had money to burn. Or WG bosses are really huge fans of TA and did the purchase purely out of collector's sentiment.

Chris Taylor is employed by Wargaming and his team is working on TA so maybe things will be ok.

Well they bought the TA IP, bought Chris Roberts' company & are funding him to do something.

Exactly what the something is hasn't been announced yet.
But it is almost certainly TA2.

Boss guys of WG have said that they primarily bought TA IP because they were really big fans of it & the prospect of getting to make a new version was very exciting.

I'm confident they will do it justice.
The only question I have is if Chris Roberts can after the disaster that was the awfully console compromised SupCom2.

(their conduct with WoT precisely, what else)
Probably better for a different thread but: What do you consider so assholey about WG over WoT?
Are you some Wehraboo who expected Tiger to be auto-win or something?

Meanwhile in Planetary Annihilation news, they are rapidly approaching version 1.0/official launch, ramping up the polish & completing features.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_D3DiTaeB8

Balance still seems to swing quite wildly.

eg A recent patch significantly buffing the T1 bot 'Dox' so that everyone was just Zerg rush building them.

But now it turns out that the T1 tanks quickly gain superiority if you can fend off initial Dox rush.

A few patches back it was all about the T2 flamethrower tank with very high damage output & big health but very short range -> devastating when used in certain ways but near useless if used wrong.

They bought in a 'combat fabber' unit intended to be used like Starcraft Medic but most players just used their high build speed/efficiency (needed to allow it to repair fast enough to be useful) to assist factories & engineers, not sure what happened to them but heavy use seems to be mostly out of style now.

Fascinating gameplay recently came up with the orbital layer construction satellites being able to assist/reclaim things on surface. (& ground can assist space, but I don't think it can reclaim)
If your enemy hasn't got up to orbital layer/orbital radar then you can put a satellite over the enemy base & reclaim it hilariously quickly (satellites have big build power).

Probably better for a different thread but: What do you consider so assholey about WG over WoT?
Are you some Wehraboo who expected Tiger to be auto-win or something?
Does it mean I have to prove myself to you as a skilled WoT player, in order to you be willing to consider my arguments? I thought logic can stand on its own. I had 17000 battles, 58% win ratio, and blue WN7. That was over half year ago, when I ultimately quit, even though I still had weeks of premium to go.

I quit the game, because it went to shit on account of action and inaction of Wargaming. Various issues went from "bad" to "fuck you", and after that, to "in your face". With such progression, there was simply no hope for recovery.

I could narrate you through their misconduct in details. The problem is, it would mostly be comprehensible only to another WoT player. Examples are:
- "head in the sand" reaction to technical problems
- cynically offering placebo solutions they to gamers (reporting system)
- ignoring elephants in the room (always vigilant in balancing tanks, except some pets, untouchable for years)

Also google for "soviet bias", "stalinium armor". I have friends who also play World of Warplanes and War of Thunder, and the confirm the soviet bias occurs there too. If you haven't played WoT until middle tiers, you haven't faintest idea how pathetic it gets. WG is Belarusian company, the other one is Russian. So much for professionalism. I sincirely thought they'd be better than this.

The biggest offender is match making. I have strong accusations, and appropriate evidence. Worth separate thread.

WoT is the most advertised game in my region ever. Looks like WG's business plan is expand & leave burnt ground, while they can. Get new players, hold them until they deliver estimated, average amount of money, and dump them. They have recently celebrated how they passed 100 million registered players. But from actual server attendace (in weekend peaks) it looks like only 1% of those "players" actually play.

If a TA2 is going to happen, it will be multiplayer for sure. And since WG boys are going to be behind the busines & infrastructure side, you do have reason to worry. Even if you don't realize it.

If your enemy hasn't got up to orbital layer/orbital radar then you can put a satellite over the enemy base & reclaim it hilariously quickly
That's just the most anticimactic form of victory in an RTS game... :LOL: (Short of the enemy simply autodestructing all their stuff and ragequit I suppose. :p)

There are easy counters to that reclaim tactic so it doesn't work often.
Doesn't even require your own space stuff.

With a T2 engineer you can build an 'orbital radar' on ground which gives you radar of the Orbital layer through the whole system.
Then there is a ground to orbital gun that pretty quickly disposes of most satellites in a fairly small area above. (good example of it in use in the above vid)

Also google for "soviet bias", "stalinium armor".
Lol, you are a wehraboo.
Your complaints are common but mostly invalid. Google for 'confirmation bias'.

Back