The price of integrity!

2senile

Regular
The Boss of 3dvelocity.com posted this little snippet on their front page last night. I'll include it in its entirety as it will dissapear as more items are posted & move it down the page.

"A few people have emailed me asking why 3DVelocity, as supposed UK NVIDIA affiliates, didn't attend the Editor's Day or review the new FX5700 and 5950 range of cards. Well, the truth is we weren't offered them, and it seems the reason we weren't offered them is because we were silly enough to tell the truth about how we felt about the FX5800 and 5900 when we looked at them. It seems that until we learn to insert our noses further and look like we're enjoying it we'll have to make do with what ever selective swag gets thrown our way. Still, at least we can sleep at nights unlike some other sites."

:oops: :? :rolleyes: (I'll let the emoticons speak for me.) :(

Actually, I think one of the major purposes of the Editors Day was to get some of the skeptics out there and try and win them over - from who I know attended they had a range out there, not all of whom are taking everything from NVIDIA at face value - so that should be commended. I was invited personally, however I've attended so many function this year that my full time work prevented me from going, and I'm genuinely very annoyed about that as I would have loved to go.

As for the alloction of reference samples of 5700/5950 its a well known fact that Europe generally recieves fewer samples than the US. Now, we only recieved a 5700 for revies (although I do think this is the more interesting of the two releases), however I'm only aware of two sites in the UK, and we weren't one of them - given our public stats, coverage didn't appear to be the deciding factor.

Hi Dave.

Wayne (the Boss) is the only one who will know the full story but as he usually sends me an e-mail asking if i want to cover these sort of events & I never received one concerning this event I'm guessing we never got an invite.

For him to post that bit I quoted makes me suspect he is a little bit annoyed ... about something. :LOL:

I'll try & squeeze some solid info out of him tonight when he is updating the news etc. :)

UPDATE:

"Well, the official line was "There didn't seem much point getting you a 5950, it's just a speed bumped 5900 and we all know how you felt about that". We weren't invited to the Editor's day. They would apparently like us to see a 5700 though, when the boot lickers are done with it. "

So we weren't invited to the Editor's day. Wonder why. :LOL:

I fail to see why it is sad? If I had a product and there was 2 to review, I could give it to a site that would say well this is pretty much a pointless product or a site that would say well this is an exciting product who do you think I would give it to? It is business, if on the other hand they had hundreds to give for reviews and still refused to give them to sites that would not give effusive reviews then I could understand a complaint.

I fail to see why it is sad?

It's sad if you know the history of the relationship between 3DV & nVidia. If I remember correctly, it's been something like two years "as supposed UK NVIDIA affiliates". Never had problems in the GF3 & GF4 days.

If I had a product and there was 2 to review, I could give it to a site that would say well this is pretty much a pointless product or a site that would say well this is an exciting product who do you think I would give it to?

Now why would nVidia suspect 3DV would say "well this is pretty much a pointless product "? :LOL:

At the time the site became affiliated Wayne made it clear that reviews would tell it like it is.

if on the other hand they had hundreds to give for reviews and still refused to give them to sites that would not give effusive reviews then I could understand a complaint.

I'm not really complaining much. I actually find this amusing. I also found the fact that somebody "forgot" to send a 5900 to 3DV (remember, "as supposed UK NVIDIA affiliates") for review amusing.

EDIT: As 3dvelocity.com is a non-commercial site I can afford to find things amusing. ;) :)

Sxotty said:
I fail to see why it is sad? If I had a product and there was 2 to review, I could give it to a site that would say well this is pretty much a pointless product or a site that would say well this is an exciting product who do you think I would give it to? It is business, if on the other hand they had hundreds to give for reviews and still refused to give them to sites that would not give effusive reviews then I could understand a complaint.

Ehh..as a consumer you should be concerned about the truth..remember that anology next time you buy any product based on a review and it turns out to be a POS. :LOL:

2senile said:
The Boss of 3dvelocity.com posted this little snippet on their front page last night. I'll include it in its entirety as it will dissapear as more items are posted & move it down the page.

"A few people have emailed me asking why 3DVelocity, as supposed UK NVIDIA affiliates, didn't attend the Editor's Day or review the new FX5700 and 5950 range of cards. Well, the truth is we weren't offered them, and it seems the reason we weren't offered them is because we were silly enough to tell the truth about how we felt about the FX5800 and 5900 when we looked at them. It seems that until we learn to insert our noses further and look like we're enjoying it we'll have to make do with what ever selective swag gets thrown our way. Still, at least we can sleep at nights unlike some other sites."

ROFL, the same problem has www.3dcenter.de too. It is the biggest german 3D-hardware website, but many vendors like ATi still ignore this website. I think, this is the price for independence.

Exxtreme said:
2senile said:

ROFL, the same problem has www.3dcenter.de too. It is the biggest german 3D-hardware website, but many vendors like ATi still ignore this website. I think, this is the price for independence.
Do these websites contact ATi? I'm really curious, 'cause we're a pretty small site right now at EB but we've been getting excellent responses from vendors and I think it's 'cause we take the time to develop relations with 'em. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Exxtreme said:
2senile said:

Do these websites contact ATi? I'm really curious, 'cause we're a pretty small site right now at EB but we've been getting excellent responses from vendors and I think it's 'cause we take the time to develop relations with 'em. :)
Yes, they did. Matrox was the only vendor which gave a respond and recently Nvidia too.

Back