PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your page linked above (taken from another thread) I found some interesting benchmark nobody had noticed before: They benchmarked the integrated web browsers of both consoles (PS4 and XB1) and the results are quite different:

They found that PS4's browser (javascript performance) is ~2X (SunSpider 1.0.2 ) to ~5X (Kraken 1.1) faster than XB1's.

The best explanation that I could think of for this is that in Xbox, the division of core allocation between OS and game is absolute, and on PS4 all cores can be used in the OS. Other differences are probably in WebKit vs IE

The best explanation that I could think of for this is that in Xbox, the division of core allocation between OS and game is absolute, and on PS4 all cores can be used in the OS.

That would be easy enough to verify by simply running the browser benchmark with a game active.

EDIT

Also, that benchmark is quite old. Not sure if either MS or Sony have since made performance improvements to their browsers.

EDIT 2

SunSpider 1.0.2 and Kraken 1.1 both seem to be freely available and accessible. I'll run the test on the XBO and PS4 when I get home, with both an active game and no active game.

That would be easy enough to verify by simply running the browser benchmark with a game active.

EDIT

Also, that benchmark is quite old. Not sure if either MS or Sony have since made performance improvements to their browsers.

EDIT 2

SunSpider 1.0.2 and Kraken 1.1 both seem to be freely available and accessible. I'll run the test on the XBO and PS4 when I get home, with both an active game and no active game.

I'll update the results as a go along. For now, here's SunSpider on the PS4. Each condition was tested 3 times. Active game was Metro Last Light Redux with a saved game loaded (not at the menu). The game was not "Suspended" for those wondering. Active Video App was Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll will happily continue to play the stream in the background (audio drops out of course). Game was not active or in a suspended state except where noted.

I'll finish testing Kraken and run the same tests on the XBO later (this it taking longer than I thought).

SunSpider 1.0.2
PS4 (No Open Game or App): 918.0 ms =/- 0.7 %
PS4 (No Open Game or App): 916.3 ms =/- 0.5 %
PS4 (No Open Game or App): 931.3 ms =/- 1.1 %
PS4 (Game Actively Running, No Open App): 1111.5 ms =/- 2.6 %
PS4 (Game Actively Running, No Open App): 1076.1 ms =/- 0.4 %
PS4 (Game Actively Running, No Open App): 1081.6 ms =/- 0.5 %
PS4 (Video App Actively Running, No Open Game): 1003.5 ms =/- 1.8 %
PS4 (Video App Actively Running, No Open Game): 1010.2 ms =/- 1.0 %
PS4 (Video App Actively Running, No Open Game): 1020.3 ms =/- 1.0 %
PS4 (Video App Actively Running + Game Suspended): 1058.4 ms =/- 6.9 %
PS4 (Video App Actively Running + Game Suspended): 1019.9 ms =/- 0.5 %
PS4 (Video App Actively Running + Game Suspended): 1030.3 ms =/- 1.7 %
PS4 (Video App In Background + Game Active): 1142.4 ms =/- 0.8 %
PS4 (Video App In Background + Game Active):1144.9 ms =/- 1.3 %
PS4 (Video App In Background + Game Active): 1136.3 ms =/- 1.6 %

Kraken 1.1
PS4 (No Open Game): 20973.6 ms =/- 1.5 %
PS4 (No Open Game): ms =/- %
PS4 (Game Actively Running): ms =/- %

Last edited by a moderator:
5804ms is what my just updated to iOS8 iPad 3 managed (just for the heck, wanted some perspective for these results)

My PS4 scores 901ms, 934ms second run.

My (3rd gen i7 vpro) PC with the latest version of Chrome does 160ms. IE11 does 93ms.

Kraken on my PC: 1309ms on Chrome, 1996ms on IE11

That's interesting... my older Sony Xperia Z (the first one) gets 1511ms in Sunspider (but I also run Cyanogen Mod as well). Wouldn't have thought an Ipad was slower... but it is indeed a browser benchmark, not a hardware benchmark.

If you disable the USB charging during stand by, your fans should be completely off during stand by.

what the... how can its USB charging so power inefficient? it should not need a fan to cooldown the system just for usb charging...

thank the tip, im turning usb chargin off now.

what the... how can its USB charging so power inefficient? it should not need a fan to cooldown the system just for usb charging...
It's extremely bizarre. USB power for two ports is just 5W, assuming you actually charge from both ports. (I myself have just one controller by the way.)

I'll update the results as a go along.

Kraken 1.1
PS4 (No Open Game): 20973.6 ms =/- 1.5 %

Gradthrawn, please post if you are OK.

Are you guys talking about the PS4 in regards to standby? Is it really the fan that's running, or is it the HDD? Mine is so quiet that I thought it was the HDD running, not the fan. I literally have to put my ear to it in a quiet room to hear any noise, and it sounds more like an HDD spinning than a fan.

If your PS4 is downloading updates in standby, the PS4 uses more power and the fans run for sure, but I don't think the fans run when it's at idle, but I could be wrong. Maybe my fan is just really quiet at idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys talking about the PS4 in regards to standby? Is it really the fan that's running, or is it the HDD? Mine is so quiet that I thought it was the HDD running, not the fan. I literally have to put my ear to it in a quiet room to hear any noise, and it sounds more like an HDD spinning than a fan.

If your PS4 is downloading updates in standby, the PS4 uses more power and the fans run for sure, but I don't think the fans run when it's at idle, but I could be wrong. Maybe my fan is just really quiet at idle.

On standby without downloading and after ~one minute (waiting for the HDD to do some final jobs) your PS4 should be completely silent if you disable USB charging during standby.

It's easy to test anyway.

The fan will continue to run, if your console is hot (i.e. if you played a game beforehand). But after a while when it cools down, my fan completely stops in standby, even with USB devices connected and loading.

Fan also cools the power supply. If the fan ever spins up during standby it's probably in order to cool those components.

By the end of the generation, will we see even more games at sub-1080p? I was going to use the last generation as an example but those games rarely got above 720p 30fps anyway.

By the end of the generation, will we see even more games at sub-1080p? I was going to use the last generation as an example but those games rarely got above 720p 30fps anyway.

Last gen we started with native 720p and 1080p on PS3. As graphics went up, resolution went down towards the middle of the gen, and then started going back up after that so that most games by the end of the gen were true 720p. (for example, compare GTA IV's 640p to GTA V's 720p, even with better graphics)

Could the mystery chip in the PS4 be a DPU?

What's a DPU?

http://www.cadence.com/ip/tensilica_ip/Pages/default.aspx

Slide from Sony's HSA Audio presentation showing a DPU.

http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/mm-4085-laurentbetbeder

slide-3-1024.jpg

diagram-dataplane-n.jpg

dpu-new.jpg

Did we ever find out what ACP meant? Is it Accelerator Coherency Port? http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ddi0434a/BABGHDHD.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back