NV50 being optimized for UnrealEngine 3?

digitalwanderer said:
Doomtrooper said:
Talk with your wallet, what is Epic doing for me and why should I buy their title...especially with prior experience with their partnership BS.
Ok, but by boycotting Epic you mean we just gotta stop buying their games...right? We can still keep playing 'em? ;)

<laughs> Zing!

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Makes me think that Nvdia have already admitted defeat with NV40 vs R420.

What a joke. Seriously.

Keeping with the comparison with IBM's Fast Path, did IBM admit defeat of Power4 by talking about the Power5's FastPath? What about Intel admitting defeat of the Prescott by already talking in a similar light about Tejas? All companies do this, especially if it's something as fundimantal as actual logic optimizations and routines in hardware, like FastPath.

The anti-nVidia bias has so permeated this forum it's scary.

digitalwanderer said:
Doomtrooper said:
Talk with your wallet, what is Epic doing for me and why should I buy their title...especially with prior experience with their partnership BS.
Ok, but by boycotting Epic you mean we just gotta stop buying their games...right? We can still keep playing 'em? ;)

Awww, screw it!
My ISP download limit is 10GB, and I use a good 5GB minimum per month...
So unless I want to pay like $5 for "commodity expenses"... Nah :D

Uttar

Can we stop jumping to conclusions please. This was an NVIDIA conference, so of course the speakers are going to say nice things about NVIDIA. However, just because Epic says that NV50 has optimisations for UnrealEngine3 doesn't mean that nothing else will have the same. Presumably they are still working with ATI and telling them about the things they are looking for and they must also be working with MS and making suggestions of whats needed.

Vince said:
The anti-nVidia bias has so permeated this forum it's scary.

It's probably part of the backlash against Nvidia's behaviour. Have you see the ridiculous press releases and comments coming out from them over the last 18 months? The whole "lying and cheating" thing tends to predispose people against them. :rolleyes:

Obviously I don't think that has Nvidia has literally given up, but when a company starts talking about how great it's products are going to be a couple of years from now, it's nearly always to divert attention away from the pasting they are getting from their competitors in the present. Pointing this out doesn't make it an "anti-Nvidia bias", (as you so often like to label anything mentioned against Nvidia's current dishonest practices).

DaveBaumann said:
Can we stop jumping to conclusions please. This was an NVIDIA conference, so of course the speakers are going to say nice things about NVIDIA. However, just because Epic says that NV50 has optimisations for UnrealEngine3 doesn't mean that nothing else will have the same. Presumably they are still working with ATI and telling them about the things they are looking for and they must also be working with MS and making suggestions of whats needed.

Well I disagree Dave, Nvidia has done a good job of segregating the PC gaming segment by 'buying out' developers to 'optimize' for inferior hardware. We have had countless examples of this in the last 6 months, game Demos released to only run on Nvidia hardware (Gunmetal), Games released that only run on Nvidia hardware period...(Bridge it) and...

http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs2pc/english/patch.html

Image of back of Box...

http://www.digitalphotos.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pugmgs2.jpg

If developers want to continue to 'take sides' vs. looking out for their customer base..they won't get money from this consumer.
It is time for people to start speaking up.

There shouldn't be any examples, unless you like that type of business practice and forced to buy hardware to play a PC title you may like.

Go ahead with the naive attitude though :!:

Doomtrooper, there is no forcing. Folks really are smart -- I think sites like this one provide enough information to those that read it that ATI hardware is on top.

Kids don't have money to buy video cards. Their parents do. And 90% of parents usually read reviews.

Oh, and folks that like to play games (obsessed gamers so to speak) will buy the games they like regardless of the hardware they have in their machine. NVIDIA won't win.

They have done a fine job so far, and it is their Marketing that did it..as their hardware sure wasn't up to the task.
These marketing deals is what I'm referring too, with 'exclusive visuals'..blah blah. If a consumer pays the same for the product, and their hardware is capable there should be no exclusive effects.

The developers have become salesmen.

Doomtrooper said:
They have done a fine job so far, and it is their Marketing that did it..as their hardware sure wasn't up to the task.
These marketing deals is what I'm referring too, with 'exclusive visuals'..blah blah. If a consumer pays the same for the product, and their hardware is capable there should be no exclusive effects.

You're overreacting. Look at Tron 2, a TWIMTBP game and yet it runs and looks better on ATI hardware. Yes, looks better is my subjective opinion based on how strongly this particular game really shows aliasing, and the fact that Nvidia's 3-year-old ordered grid options just aren't comparable.

Doomtrooper said:
John, does Tron 2 play better on the R3.XX from developer support or from the hardware simply being better .

Because of better hardware, in spite of the fact that it was developed using Nvidia hardware. Which, if you think about it, contradicts your apparent concerns; regardless of marketing deals, the majority of games will run better on superior hardware. For future games, my only real concern is how well developers are educated and able to code their own shaders, rather than having to rely on IHV software engineers to do it for them. . .who might thereby attempt to put the screws to their competition.

Doomtrooper said:
That depends on which games you want to play.

There have always been developers acting like salesmen.

Doomtrooper said:

Is this all marketing BS? Even the likes of Epic (who are vey closely linked to TWIMTBP and Nvidia) have said on their forums that TWIMTBP is about marketing and publishing. As far as they are concerned, it doesn't have an impact on the actual programming. It's just as likely that Epic will support anything that's advantageous to their games, whether it's in a ATI card or a Nvidia card.

Heck, for UT2K3 Epic even had someone putting effort into writing code for Voodoo cards, so those potential customers could still play the game. Developers want to write the best game they can so that everyone will want to buy/play it regardless of their hardware. I doubt any developer is going to hurt their sales by not supporting as wide an audience as possible, and I doubt they would sign up for any marketing campaign that insists on such a restrictive deal.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
I doubt any developer is going to hurt their sales by not supporting as wide an audience as possible, and I doubt they would sign up for any marketing campaign that insists on such a restrictive deal.

That depends how well the IHV involved compensates you...

John Reynolds said:
Because of better hardware, in spite of the fact that it was developed using Nvidia hardware. Which, if you think about it, contradicts your apparent concerns; regardless of marketing deals, the majority of games will run better on superior hardware. For future games, my only real concern is how well developers are educated and able to code their own shaders, rather than having to rely on IHV software engineers to do it for them. . .who might thereby attempt to put the screws to their competition.

Well that scenario didn't work for Gunmetal, where the developer intenionally disabled support fot ATI cards, as Thomas proved with his 3Danalyze....or Bridge It that doesn't ran AT ALL on ATI hardware or recently Bungie detecting ATI cards and forcing PS 1.4<---what reason would that be for.

Back