PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How cool is that. Especially the CGI thing that puts it back together at the end :D

Also, it makes you wonder how much smaller it could have been still if it had an external powerbrick.

Think of the internal power supply as part of the ad campaign, smaller, cheaper, with an internal power supply and the most powerful console evah ... :devilish:

Nice design. Looking at my old "60 gb" ... well those Foreman Grill memes when the PS3 was shown come to mind very quickly :LOL:

That console is seriously beautiful...

The oblique shape leaning towards the jet-engine-exhaust appearing vents, the stacked appearance with the clean indentations.... the contrast of the matte and reflective finish...

Just gorgeous... the designer has seriously exceeded my expectations... the most beautiful PlayStation ever in my opinion.

I am a huge fan of the original PS2 design, as well as the Slim PS2 series... I feel like this design is just like those but with even more amplified features, and just as slick.

Amazing work :)

Edit - Video of a teardown uploaded today: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/playstation4-teardown-video/ :)

I agree with this! The PS4 is one nice looking machine:p

So, the fan size is smaller than the PS3 slim´s one ( 85mm vs 95mm ). I suppose noise will be similar and that tdp is smaller in PS4 or that having CPU+GPU in one APU allows having a smaller fan. By the way, the chip marked with "SCEI" must be the custom secondary chip. Isn´t it too big for being only an ARM cpu?.
TDP should be higher than the Slim, but there's more heatsink surface area, and more copper/heatpipes (or at least better placed), so it should be similar under high performance games, and should be completely silent during media playback.

I wish we could read the chips markings :cry:

It's amazing how few wires there are, and how there isn't a square inch wasted, everything interlocks, and all connectors are soldered on the motherboard. Even the HDD. The area required for the SoC+Memory is really small.

Last edited by a moderator:
The APU looks so tiny..

Does this even use 75w at full load?
Including the GDDR5 memory, it's at least the equivalent of a 7850 (a few more CU, but bit lower clock) plus whatever the CPU requires. I don't see how it can be less than 130W for the entire console (at full load).

I'm curious if PS4 is designed with the best performance/cost index ?

For instance, if PS4 uses HD 7850 + 2GB VRAM + main RAM 8GB DDR3, what is the actual performance compared with current design (1.843 Gflops with 8GB GDDR5)? Is production cost lower due to the use of 8GB DDR3?

http://i.imgur.com/LBItG5W.jpg

The rectangular chip on the left of the south bridge... Samsung... flash or memory?
Lots of caps around it means flash I think.

4 PCIe lanes to the SB.

There's a small chip between the SB and the SATA connectors. I'm scared.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious if PS4 is designed with the best performance/cost index ?

For instance, if PS4 uses HD 7850 + 2GB VRAM + main RAM 8GB DDR3, what is the actual performance compared with current design (1.843 Gflops with 8GB GDDR5)? Is production cost lower due to the use of 8GB DDR3?
Goes against their principal complaint with the PS3 - split memory pool.

~361 mm² for the APU.
Thanks!

How cool is that. Especially the CGI thing that puts it back together at the end :D

Also, it makes you wonder how much smaller it could have been still if it had an external powerbrick.
Imagine if AMD ever allows Kaveri and its successors to use gdrr5m or better how tiny a steambox (for example) without BRD player and an external power brick could get :8O:
Pretty much a Game Cube.

Very quick and dirty try at rough perspective correction:

xds9w6.jpg

Redish CR2032 battery is scaled to 100px diameter.

Bluish APU is about 95px*91px in that case.

So roughly ~350mm² for the APU given that the CR2032 is 20mm in diamter?

What has happend with Sony? Releasing their own teardown video? That must be a first?!!?

They have a few teardown videos of Tablets , Phones , Cameras & things like that they post on facebook from time to time.

The SATA chip could possibly be the Fujitsu MB86C31, it's 6mm by 6mm.
Maybe it's a dirt cheap solution to have a hardware AES encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back