PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to stop taking GDDR5 as gospel and consider the other ways we've discussed you get to 168 GB/s.

Anyway I think that should be smart from sony to go to common denominator, if both will have 8GB DDR, than maybe the esRAM on durango will not be used by all multiplat games :rolleyes:

Is it possible to have ~150 GB/s bandwidth with 8 GB stacked DDR3?

I'm just not seeing how that fits in right now. Unless Sony uses some way to maintain the bandwidth at the level it was with GDDR5, I don't see them moving to DDR3. They have openly talked about how bandwidth is one of their priorities I guess, or favourite ways to improve performance.

I am leaning towards the leaner 4 GB GDDR5, but only because the rumours have led me to believe it is more likely.

Is it possible to have ~150 GB/s bandwidth with 8 GB stacked DDR3?

I'm just not seeing how that fits in right now. Unless Sony uses some way to maintain the bandwidth at the level it was with GDDR5, I don't see them moving to DDR3. They have openly talked about how bandwidth is one of their priorities I guess, or favourite ways to improve performance.

I am leaning towards the leaner 4 GB GDDR5, but only because the rumours have led me to believe it is more likely.

Theoretically, sure. With stacked they could go to 1024bit width. I just don't know that its going to happen this year for the first time on a console.

And what they did for vita won't work.

Well, it could also be a Sony or partner exec getting carried away during informal conversation. If you are a techie and have accompanied your boss to sales meetings, you would likely have encountered situations where you felt like slapping your boss for over-promising or misremembering the details.

For now, I'll just take it as 4GB and be surprised when something better shows up.

Theoretically, sure. With stacked they could go to 1024bit width. I just don't know that its going to happen this year for the first time on a console.

And what they did for vita won't work.

Yeah, too much heat for a SiP flip-chip situation. It was brilliant for the Vita though.

Could someone kindly explain why GDDR5 is considered such a power hungry memory standard? I've tried my best to find some specification for GDDR5, and while I was able to come across some vendor specifications for GDDR5 modules, they're not particularly informative. They do note reference voltages at 1.5V and 1.35V commonly, which seems in line with other standards. Of course, that's far from the full picture, so if anyone could help fill me in, I'd appreciate it.

Could you stack them, or do they run too hot for that?

GDDR5's spec allows for clamshell mode where the chips can exist on either side of the PCB, but I haven't seen a scheme to allow a standard GDDR5 BGA chip to sit on top of another and somehow reach the traces it needs to connect to anything.

Adding 4 GB of Ddr3 apart from the 4GBGDDR5 would supposse to add another mem controler into the apu?.The subject is what they could make now withot modifying the chip...already in production.
Or they have always been stacking and the possibility of 8GB is still open.The reduction of speed to 176GBs match with any stacked provided solution ?.

What is the source of this 2011 GDDR5 price?

hem, this is not a pc, you can't insert ram modules so easily, if you go to 8 GB of GDDR, you have to redo, motherboard, mem controller, and do something for the great heat, I think that the price of modules is the cheap part

GDDR5's spec allows for clamshell mode where the chips can exist on either side of the PCB, but I haven't seen a scheme to allow a standard GDDR5 BGA chip to sit on top of another and somehow reach the traces it needs to connect to anything.

Ok. You never know though eh? Those three layers in Vita's stacked chips surprised a lot of people too, and although console components run way hotter, the Vita has no active cooling whatsoever, is much smaller, and never even gets warm in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back