Controllers and every other aspect of Orbis and Durango

I haven't seen this discussed yet although with so many damn rooms going on around now all seemingly discussing the same thing it could well have been..

Microsoft s illumiroom tech demo....
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...ojection-is-this-the-xbox-720s-killer-feature

Looks suspiciously like the original kinect star wars demo....and that made It into production. ..
Im thinking microsoft has learnt a great deal and will want to distinguish its new uber console with a bit more than just the same trodden screen graphics....having one of these intergrated on every next gen console..or just a boxed controller with every console.... would really make the 720 stand above ps4 if all it has is an improved move controller and kinect copying eye toy...

Don't you mean that the other way around? Controllerless gaming started with EyeToy (PS2). Then, camera with 4 array microphone and 60/120fps tracking was PS Eye. Finally, Kinect had camera with two array microphone and 30fps tracking. Kinect was one of the improvement paths PS Eye could have taken (near IR sensing).

I'm assuming PS Eye 2 (EyeToy 3) and Kinect 2.0 will track at 60fps at HD resolutions. Maybe Sony will add an extra option to track at 120fps, when using 640x480 mode. I wonder if Sony will copy one thing from Kinect (near IR sensor). PS Eye just needed better tracking in low light conditions for people. That would make for a much better Kung Fu Live gaming experience.

I think it is likely Sony will include an improved version of the Move stage demo software (moving web pages/apps around in 3D space with Move controller). :) I was really fascinated by that.

Does anyone think the DVR addition (PlayTV/Torne) will make it to the U.S. for Orbis? It would be great to have that work remotely with the Vita, instead of the PSP this time.

Nor does xbox 720 and ps4 officially.
:rolleyes: We know they are coming.
Its a valid talking point...
...in the thread discussing them. If we start talking about Illumiroom's possible presence in XB720 in this thread, we'll just repeat all the arguments already made in the other threads (What are the requirements? Does the tech exist at a consumer level? What possible projection techs are there?).

But the right stick is fine?

Yep, the right hand switches off for buttons, the left is manipulating the stick almost full time. About 2hrs on my ps2 and my thumb would be sore. If I do buy a ps4, I won't be using a sony controller unless they redesign.

:rolleyes: We know they are coming.
...in the thread discussing them. If we start talking about Illumiroom's possible presence in XB720 in this thread, we'll just repeat all the arguments already made in the other threads (What are the requirements? Does the tech exist at a consumer level? What possible projection techs are there?).

Yes we know they are coming. ..but so is this....I find it very odd that wacky unfounded rumours aka blitters etc with nothing credible to back them up gets serious attention around here...usually on the wrong threads. .but an actual tech demo/advertisement from microsoft....similar to the original kinect demo....that relates to next gen consoles. ...in the exact same year they are to be released..cant be talked about....oh come on..

Yes we know they are coming. ..but so is this.
Durango is a known product with rumoured specs, press releases, dev comments, etc. Kinect 2 has been heavily discussed, rumoured to be included with Durango, shown in technical paper leaks Illumiroom is a concept video and an RnD project. There are plenty of reasons why it might not happen next-gen at all, let alone at launch and with every 720. It's viability already exists as a discussion. Why do you want to repeat that here when many of the questions and answers have already been thrashed out? Visit this thread specifically for Illumiroom with 66 posts already talking about it, rather than expecting every post to be repeated.
I find it very odd that wacky unfounded rumours aka blitters etc with nothing credible to back them up gets serious attention around here.
Blitter was an open technical discussion, not an unfounded rumour, held in an appropriate custom-hardware thread for exactly that purpose. Illumiroom discussion happened in some other thread (next-gen discussion?) and got spun out for exactly the same reason to have it in a self contained thread where it doesn't get sidetracked or end up polluting other lines of discussion.

It's been posted elsewhere, but the interesting part (for me) is not Durango-related:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the...hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.

Are they finally going to clear up the 2 camera thing, and/or unveil "MoveHD"?

I think Sony will create their own version of kinect with the precision of move . They want the casual audience and with the kinect like device they can get multiplatform casual titles which devs might make for kinect 2.0 .

“Dual Camera” appears to be an evolutioned HD Eyetoy instead of a Kinect device, based on the features offered right now.

It contains a pair of wide-angle cameras. Each camera offers a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels (720p).

Sound is processed by a 4 microphone array working at 48 Khz.

The device can perform some non gaming tasks such as:

- Recognize the user and log in the system

- Video chat

In the gaming field it supports head and hand tracking as new game inputs. Currently it’s not clear if this device will support body tracking in the future as Kinect but it’s almost sure that it will be bundled with every Orbis system.
http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-dual-camera-whats-this/

Gimmicks in every box ! Or just to compete with kinect .

I'd really like the controller to be replaced with dual Move-like controller with thumbsticks/nubs. Assuming the 3D cameras don't need big orbs (maybe just subtle LEDs?), the aesthetic could be maintained. There are loads more interaction options available with dual wands than fixed dual thumbsticks. I wouldn't loose the traditional controller as I think that's evolved into an excellent interface, but I want dual sticks to be advanced now both as a broad motion interface (Move Sports) and as a more subtle interface (move enhanced dual-stick tracking).

Then again, I doubt any devs would make good use of such a system. :(

I actually don't think the 360 controller should change. Give it a better dpad and it's pretty perfect in my eyes.

Now, with the DS3, I don't think analog stick placement is optimal, nor do I like the soft throw they have. Otherwise, it's great too. I think a vita like touchpad could be value added too.

For the Sony PS4 controller... I hope that if it uses a touchpad that Sony is smart enough to instead of printing some random pattern of 1010101010 like on the back of the vita... that they instead print a keyboard pattern such that typing can be done without a screen. If they could additionally backlight this keyboard any time a text entry field pops up on screen it would be incredible!!!!

I actually don't think the 360 controller should change. Give it a better dpad and it's pretty perfect in my eyes.

Now, with the DS3, I don't think analog stick placement is optimal, nor do I like the soft throw they have. Otherwise, it's great too. I think a vita like touchpad could be value added too.

I hate all buttons on it, but perhaps that got better over time? Especially the shoulder buttons are crap on mine (one no longer even works). I hate that all face buttons are not analog, and they feel terrible. And of course the d-pad.

I'd really like the controller to be replaced with dual Move-like controller with thumbsticks/nubs. Assuming the 3D cameras don't need big orbs (maybe just subtle LEDs?), the aesthetic could be maintained. There are loads more interaction options available with dual wands than fixed dual thumbsticks. I wouldn't loose the traditional controller as I think that's evolved into an excellent interface, but I want dual sticks to be advanced now both as a broad motion interface (Move Sports) and as a more subtle interface (move enhanced dual-stick tracking).

Then again, I doubt any devs would make good use of such a system. :(

I've never used Move before; how well does it work for shooters?
Is it competitive with dual shock users? I've heard it takes longer to turn with Move, although its supposed to be more accurate when aiming in your current FOV (but that might be due to more aim assist?).

I've only used Move briefly on MAG, and I didn't get on with it. Others have raved about it. In my improved model, you'd have thumbsticks on both controls for dual-stick movement (move and rotate), and you could use point+shoot for aiming. But I'm not really thinking about that as a control scheme. I'm thinking things like space and orientation between controllers can be used, or pointing near/far into the screen by the triangulation point angling both controllers inwards, or effortless switching between gestures and dual-sticks, combining realism with our favourite interface.

Personally for me, it is interesting how would a touchpad on the DS4 be used. It could provide a fast and precise control for FPS games, although it's quite small. Actually, I do hope it would be used as a direction control. The drawback is that it's on front surface, so it's for already overloaded thumb. A rear touchpad could be used with a middle finger, which is usually unused..

Move could benefit from making both sides more equal, like on Razer Hydra. Much more control freedom, say, for FPS one could use movement on left stick, turning on turning left controller, weapon aim on right controller turning, head movement on right stick, jump/crouch on left controller move up/down, etc. Take a look on Hydra videos, there are some interesting points. Actually, stuff like jump/crouch, reload, weapon change could be brought to even a motion-sensitive gamepad. Hopefully Xbox's new controller will be at least as functional as DS3. And hopefully devs would use that functionality.

On the shape of the controllers, seems that DS is not to change, and it's personally sad. Xbox controller though isn't perfect for me either. I'd actually like to see an controller with a weight balance shifted to grip handles, and shaped so middle fingers could rest on triggers without problem. It's possible on current design, but is awkward and not comfortable.

The unlikely to happen thing I'd like to see is an large enough, ball-shaped optical trackball instead of right stick, would be much faster and less straining on the thumb. Would be more convenient for FPS and RTS, I suppose.

I think Sony will create their own version of kinect with the precision of move . They want the casual audience and with the kinect like device they can get multiplatform casual titles which devs might make for kinect 2.0 .

The new PS Eye just seems to be a culmination of all the controller-less gaming research Sony has done since 2004. They are evolved forms of each other.

- EyeToy (320x240@60fps)

- PS Eye (640x480@60fps and 320x240@120fps with 4 array mic)

- PS Eye 2 (1280x720 stereoscopic @ 60fps? and 640x480@120fps? with 4 array mic)

Adding their voice recognition library, that was implemented in SingStar, seems natural.
Adding their face tracking with augmented reality library, also, seems natural.
Using the Move technology, rooted in Dr. Marks 2004 presentation, also seems natural.

I think the only reason the technologies have all come together so quickly is because of MS jump into these Sony researched areas.

I loved Eye of Judgement! :)

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XF-QGcnVp0

Last edited by a moderator:
Back