News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last they give us Folders (ish):

Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.

Well that doesn't exactly make sense, since DD has been trusted to leave through optical and coax ports unencrypted since ever...but since when did HDCP and all that shit make sense anyhow? :)

I think the idea is that if the Signal is HDCP encrypted/signed/whatever then the audio, picture etc, and only be transmitted via another HDCP accepted path. And optical is not one of them (my guess) since it´s not encrypted in any way.

SO, tldr, did you try disable HDCP and see how the games react? I know that movies etc wont work, just curious.

i wonder with the USB mp3... will it mute the whole game or clobbered together with game music or automatically mute game music (a-la x360)?

Why upmix? Isn't the stereo stream made for actual stereo?

my PC is plugged with 2 different sets of speaker so it became 4channel speaker. Playing games with only 2 front speakers (stereo) sounds not as good as 4 speakers (ps4 stereo upmix to 4ch)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it mutes game music. You can actually try this right now with music unlimited. You can play MU tracks while gaming.

I think the idea is that if the Signal is HDCP encrypted/signed/whatever then the audio, picture etc, and only be transmitted via another HDCP accepted path. And optical is not one of them (my guess) since it´s not encrypted in any way.

SO, tldr, did you try disable HDCP and see how the games react? I know that movies etc wont work, just curious.

It won't matter because almost no TVs have a pure digital path between their HDMI input and the optical output for audio. It always gets down mixed to stereo before going to the speakers or audio out.

no date :\

what are they thinking at Sony ? 2.0 is a moving target ? So when it is released in February 2015 it will also include:

- 3rd party remote control support ?
- DLNA playback ?
- Video player (AVI/MPG/TS/MP4)
- Folders
- Chromecast

Sony is after 360 player, this the reason of Destiny heavy marketing. There is a rumor by Gameblog and one tweet of Sean Murray about one PS4 exclusive by a third party studio. I think it will be an Epic games with SCEA as publisher... I hope the rumored game will be show in the PlayStation event in December 2014 or at E3 2015 but this is my bet...

And probably not the game they talk about, just a wishful thinking...☺

Last edited by a moderator:
what are they thinking at Sony ? 2.0 is a moving target ? So when it is released in February 2015 it will also include:

- 3rd party remote control support ?
- DLNA playback ?
- Video player (AVI/MPG/TS/MP4)
- Folders
- Chromecast

Vidéo player able to play Gamersyde video would be a must the PS4 have a very good browser...

Nothing about game suspension? That, and BT remote support is all I want right now. Different color backgrounds - okay, cool. Why not have the color change automatically by season, like PS3 did? However, ultimately not important as long as game suspension isn't implemented...

They need to get this done like...NOW. It's been almost a year post-launch, and a year and a half sinc we were promised this feature. So where is it?! It's not rocket science, PC OSes have suspended to RAM for ages now, and PS4 is a fixed platform with known variables, so should be much simpler to implement.

Is that true though? Can you suspend a video game and resume instantly?? I wasn't aware of this, lol if true I'm just going to hammer my sleep button on my PC and walk away instead of quitting the game.

They need to get this done like...NOW. It's been almost a year post-launch, and a year and a half sinc we were promised this feature. So where is it?! It's not rocket science,
It might not be rocket science, but it is non-trivial, at least going by reports of problems with graphics cards when waking from sleep mode.

PC OSes have suspended to RAM for ages now, and PS4 is a fixed platform with known variables, so should be much simpler to implement.
It might be, but I've kept at the back of my mind reports of AMD's somewhat spotty history when it comes to managing its GDDR5 in low power modes, and I'm starting to wonder.
On the other hand, Sony's not as good as Microsoft at engineering the necessary software and firmware infrastructure, and Microsoft had a delay for its suspend function as well.

Is that true though? Can you suspend a video game and resume instantly?? I wasn't aware of this, lol if true I'm just going to hammer my sleep button on my PC and walk away instead of quitting the game.

yes you can but not on all pc games. When i was mainly gaming on laptop a few years ago, games that eat lots of system ram is the most broken one (laptop wont come back from sleep, just blank screen).

on my PC, the standby is always broken although no game running, so, dunno how well it is on PC.

For those who missed it, PS4 users can bookmark Plex webapp in their browser and access DLNA features that way [force AAC audio in Plex server for best compatibility with PS4].
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4tIsuGYZmI

I don't know if it is different with Plex but for Twitch I have found that the watching HTML5 video for any significant amount of time usually leads to "out of memory" errors in the browser and then a sluggish OS after that. Also, keep in mind that the PS4 browser has permanent caching of URL history (deleting history is only cosmetic, it still shows up under recently visited forever) so if there is any private info in the Plex URL (no idea, just mentioning) it will be cached forever as far as I can tell.

I fully expect to seem some nasty persistent XSS and similar exploits appear for the PS4 browser soon unless Sony corrects their braindead history handling.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back