News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... we're getting configurable UI themes !!! http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/01/playstation-4-firmware-update-adding-themes-toro-and-kuro-are-p/ In "a firmware revision" coming "soon". Now where is the mediaplayer app/feature/function Sony ? EDIT: firmware 2.0 coming Sep 25 ?

I really liked some of the PS3 themes. I remember there was one with plants and flowers that would grow over time (days and weeks), so it was like a proper living theme.

But mostly, where the hell is suspend/sleep and resume functionality, Sony?

Deliver promised (pre-launch!) functionality first and foremost. Then faff with shit like themes (which is just to bilk people out of additional money, no doubt - €5/theme or so, I would expect.)

Who cares about UI themes

People who care about personalising their console? :???:

Why is it everybody who personally doesn't value something eagerly dismisses it of having no value at all. Given PS4s interface is supposedly based on a HTML5 engine, themes are probably trivially easy to support and author with existing tools.

Who cares about media playback? I can't think of one use for that myself. I'm not going to play mp3s or pirated movies. I'll take themes please.

Who cares about media playback? I can't think of one use for that myself. I'm not going to play mp3s or pirated movies. I'll take themes please.

Well, I think they should deliver core functionality, promised to us, that their previous console had (and now their major competitor) before they add window dressing

I dont get the the lust for play and resume on a home console, yeah on a handheld its critical but surely when playing at home the extra 2 minutes you have to wait is insignificant.

I dont get the the lust for play and resume on a home console, yeah on a handheld its critical but surely when playing at home the extra 2 minutes you have to wait is insignificant.

Convenience. Very few of the PS4 games I own allow you to save anywhere so being able to sleep the console with the press of a button, then immediately resume from that point without boot up, starting the game, loading your save and getting back to where you were, appeals big time to me.

The short startup-to-play time helps if you're busy and just want to catch a short game.

On PS3, the (long) software update sometimes gets in the way though, if you are away for too long.
It's better on PS4, but may still take up a few minutes to do so.

The short startup-to-play time helps if you're busy and just want to catch a short game.

Yup. I'd play more 10-15 min sessions if I could instantly get back in and not lose a few mins starting up and knowing I may lose a little play because I may not make it to a save point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

Cool. Although I would prefer Sony to do RemotePlay for other platforms (iOS/Android/Mac/PC).

It might be due to security features - after all, one is a sony owned device, the others are not fully under sony control (i.e. iOS/Android will not allow you to have a custom driver in their OS).

Well, I think they should deliver core functionality, promised to us, that their previous console had (and now their major competitor) before they add window dressing

Fully agreed. Themes is just a way for them to make additional money...that is where their priority obviously is atm.

They should really first deliver the promises and further match their former console.

They're supposedly a hundred devs working on the firmware. I'm guessing it's different teams working on different features. The UI group (which seems to be basically doing HTML stuff) can't possibly be equally qualified to do low-level codec work, or the suspend/resume code. The codec devs must have been recently busy on Bluray 3D. Latest rumors were that media playback would be coming in 2015. :???:

Did they ever confirm the new XMB is WebKit 2 based ? It was mentioned in an early article.

EDIT: Now that I remember, it's an interview with a Sony PS4 UI developer I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back