News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went digital for WD because by the time I jumped off of the fence, my local EB said they would not have enough discs for all pre-orders. Sony updated PSN at a strange time yesterday as I was able to download it around 10:47PM last night instead of having to wait until midnight. Some strangeness with file sizes as well (3.9GB initial install + ??? secondary download that does not show up in downloads list).

Cheers

I went digital for WD because by the time I jumped off of the fence, my local EB said they would not have enough discs for all pre-orders. Sony updated PSN at a strange time yesterday as I was able to download it around 10:47PM last night instead of having to wait until midnight. Some strangeness with file sizes as well (3.9GB initial install + ??? secondary download that does not show up in downloads list).

Cheers

That's the same for every game. Initial small install is PlayGo section [you can start playing the opening of the game], and the rest can be tracked if you go to main PS4 menu > game icon > options button > Information.

I though that Sony's marketing department was better than that. How difficult is to push a PS4 app to all regional PSN stores ? I'm sure people living in e.g. Spain (no offense here) don't give a dann is the menus etc are not in spanish.
Without knowing what the apps offers I don't know what we in the UK are missing out on here. What I do know is that Sony will lifestream their press conference on Twitch (as usual) which you'll be able to watch live, and they'll post the full conference to YouTube (as usual) for can't watch it live.

I'll watch it on Tuesday evening.

I still believe if they implemented a Xbox-avatar style home-space in the PS4, it could have been a success. I think the way the characters in home look (disgusting) turned a lot of people off.. that combined with the loading times.. In PS4 they could have addressed the loading times, and with a redesign people could have loved it. Because the concept is still great I think

This might be a really silly place to ask, but I couldn't find a topic...... has Vita been axed? I could swear I read it on some random site (everything official and all) and there's even a topic on neogaf....... but nothing here? Plus the E3 conference seems to hint that there's still a lot coming to Vita and lots of cross features with the PS4?

This might be a really silly place to ask, but I couldn't find a topic...... has Vita been axed? I could swear I read it on some random site (everything official and all) and there's even a topic on neogaf....... but nothing here? Plus the E3 conference seems to hint that there's still a lot coming to Vita and lots of cross features with the PS4?
Sony recently (earlier this month) announced that PSP will cease production later this year but Vita? I don't think so. They've only just revised the unit and just announced the PlayStation TV worldwide launch, set for Fall, at E3. PSTV is the same hardware as Vita, minus the screens and buttons obviously!

It's probably a misunderstanding or miscommunication.

Damn, you're right. And here was I thinking why on earth there's no topic covering it here, as surely that must be huge. I feel kinda stupid now. :D

And when did Sony ever give up on hardware that wasn't selling? ;)

IIRC they've been letting stock run down before the refreshed model (should be out now/soon?), hence the super shitty npd numbers the past few months & neogaf thread.

IIRC they've been letting stock run down before the refreshed model (should be out now/soon?), hence the super shitty npd numbers the past few months & neogaf thread.

If the Vita was popular, the old stock would have disappeared much, much faster. Besides, many enthusiasts think the original's OLED is better. It's really selling badly. Imho, undeservedly, and I am personally a big fan of the Vita and got one at launch, and every time I pick it up and play with one I still think man, this thing is nice. But such are the facts. Partly Sony's own fault - if mine had Netflix (which it does apparently have in the US, but for some reason not in EU even though Netflix has really taken off here), it would be used even more (youtube is already great on it) - right now it's just games, and there have been some really great games on it already, but I think smartphones and tablets have really eaten its lunch, and in Japan Nintendo snatching up Monster Hunter hasn't helped either, as Sony failed to provide a good alternative.

If the Vita was popular, the old stock would have disappeared much, much faster. Besides, many enthusiasts think the original's OLED is better. It's really selling badly. Imho, undeservedly, and I am personally a big fan of the Vita and got one at launch, and every time I pick it up and play with one I still think man, this thing is nice. But such are the facts. Partly Sony's own fault - if mine had Netflix (which it does apparently have in the US, but for some reason not in EU even though Netflix has really taken off here), it would be used even more (youtube is already great on it) - right now it's just games, and there have been some really great games on it already, but I think smartphones and tablets have really eaten its lunch, and in Japan Nintendo snatching up Monster Hunter hasn't helped either, as Sony failed to provide a good alternative.
If Sony were serious about increasing Vita sales then they would have announced a price cut to $150 at E3.
Packing in a game is not enough.

They probably should get PlayNow (for PS3/4/Vita) out first before thinking about dropping Vita price.

Although personally, I think if they introduce PlayNow for iOS, it may be more successful.

I still think that Sony made a huge mistake by choosing OLED screen instead of a stereoscopic 3D screen. The price would have been similar I think.

At one point resolution increase is not nearly enough and doesn't make much of a difference immersion wise, we need higher framerates (but that is developers choice) and real glasses free 3D images now.

Because for now what we have is basically a high tech 21st century 3D scene shown on an archaic Cro Magnon cavemen technology (but animated) 2D screen/cave wall.

The other big mistake is the Vita memory cards of course.

How can you even say that, when the only clear weakness in the 3DS is clearly the 3D part, which (almost) nobody cares about, to the point where they could pretty much effortlessly release a 2DS?

The OLED screen is a great choice, and whatever else they got wrong, it certainly wasn't that.

The memory cards on the other hand, that's a difficult one. I still think they are paramount to keeping the platform secure (hacking was a huge issue with the PSP if you remember), but with PSN being such a valuable addition, perhaps not worth the current trade-off, especially since the cards are so slow in performance (who knows because of encryption, but lack of volume production is probably part of the reason why they stay so expensive). Here they would really have been better off with SD card support I think.

Opening up the platform for proper Indy development, a la the OS App/Store, such as they are doing now with Unity support and a better Vita SDK (version of what started as PS Mobile) was their other big mistake. They should have had that at launch, and then I'm willing to bet ...

Vita was lacking some very useful marketing technology hype when DS, Wii, 3DS and even PS4 all somehow got some at launch.

3DS still brings something with its hardware no other mobile device does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back