News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is too early for 8Gbit GDDR5. I saw zero chatter about start if its production.

As for PS3 with 22nm Cell + 28nm RSX, that is very possible. I really don't think that PSNow is using server motherboards with 8x PS3 hardware using 40nm+45nm chips that drain a lot of power.

PSNow beta started in january/febryuary for PS3 [users are NDA'd, a lot of gaffers from US got in], and few days ago on PS4. Sony changed the selection of games several times now, each time with ~20-30 new games.

Invited users are very silent, but initial impressions are positive.

Why of all the countries to register it first would it be indonesia? Perhaps its a slightly modified version.

its been like that since years ago. Indonesia POSTEL become one of the first that showing new models of console, smartphone, etc undergoing certification.

But, Indonesia wont be the 1st country for those to be released/sold.

i suspect they already understand that Indonesia beaurocracy have a life-motto "if things can be made difficult, why make it easy?". So stuff will take long time to be certified/checked, need back-and-forth discussion and bribing.

EDIT:
Yeah, the namecode they use implies that the new PS3 and PS4 will have the same features and casing but have internal revision. This internal revision can be minimal or big, for example the PS2 slim series got a few major internal revision (to fix the melting laser lens) without changing its external appearance and features. They have similar codenumber.

EDIT2:
example for long time waiting between shown on POSTEL and release in Indonesia:
http://www.postel.go.id/sertifikasi/index.php?0601=&key=2&cari=qx100

Sony DSC QX100 listed on POSTEL on september 2013, but released in indonesia on Jan 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be great if Sony out a new model of the PS3 that included the real-time h.264 video encoding hardware. Make the new PS3 able to remote play to Vita for all titles like the PS4 can, and to stream to twitch / uplay, perhaps.

That would be cool, but probably more of an engineering challenge than they are interested in. It would probably have to be nearly completely independent and the result would be a lot like grafting a El Gato capture system with a SoC running its own OS all inside the same box as the original PS3 chipset. Just getting the cost down is going to sell more systems than adding any features at this point.

Well, they're presumably building something like what I describe for their PlayStation Now servers.. the question is whether they'd see any advantage in rolling that out in a new retail unit.

It was reported on GAF [via screenshot of chat session] that Sony customer support mentioned that first game that will support PSN preloading will be Destiny.
It pre-loaded last night. It's 22Gb all installed - minus any of the exclusive/bonus/extra content which is showing a downloading of 27th May:

2014-05-26%20Watch%20Dogs%20%282%29.jpg

So much for Destiny being the first pre-load game. Well played, Sony. Well played :???:

So much for Destiny being the first pre-load game. Well played, Sony. Well played :???:
Err, I don't know if I misinterpret you or not, but if other games are pre-loading already then so much the better, wouldn't you agree?

Err, I don't know if I misinterpret you or not, but if other games are pre-loading already then so much the better, wouldn't you agree?
Totally. I guess I need to insert a filter over any news that comes from Sony's PlayStation blogs. And the customer service folks. And the PSN store! ;)

It's like they reviewed Microsoft's Xbox One 2013 communications strategy and thought, "yeah we got to have some of that chaos!".

Really want a emoticon for banging-my-head-against-a-wall :yep2:

Generally, under-promise and over-deliver. Works well almost everywhere.

Generally, under-promise and over-deliver. Works well almost everywhere.
Very true, but making a change this late - and I do believe it was a last minute change and Sony have stated that it's up to publishers to allow pre-loading - makes it more difficult to make a purchasing decision. If want to play it day one but have a poor connection, lack of pre-load would probably steer you towards a physical disc.

First world problems! ;)

Very true, but making a change this late - and I do believe it was a last minute change and Sony have stated that it's up to publishers to allow pre-loading - makes it more difficult to make a purchasing decision. If want to play it day one but have a poor connection, lack of pre-load would probably steer you towards a physical disc.

First world problems! ;)

I only have one physical disc, and that's the one I got with the PS4 (Killzone). Everything else (and that's a surprising lot) is downloaded.

I only have one physical disc, and that's the one I got with the PS4 (Killzone). Everything else (and that's a surprising lot) is downloaded.

Noo you beat me, I got that Killzone disc to AND CoD that I got as a christmas present. But its still shrink wrapped :D

I have two, Killzone and BF4. I opted for a couple of physical discs for launch in case PSN let me down. But like you everything since has been digital: Lego Marvel, AC4, Tomb Raider, Watch_Dogs, Thief plus a dozen plus smaller titles are digital.

I had to hack my way into Watch_Dogs this morning as the pre-load licence field to work. Or maybe that was just part of the game? :???: I posted on the problem and fix in the WD thread. It's the first time I've had a licence problem and I wonder if it's related to preload.

Only disck I have is KZSF, which came in premium camera bundle. Everything else is from PSN.

I dont think I will use disc based games a lot in this generation [except ocasional second hand purchase], because prices of discs in my country are very high. We dont have infrastructure for renting games or selling of used games in stores, and popular releases cost a lot [WD is 9000 dinar here which is $105/77€/62pounds, bit this is exception not the rule. Usually games are ~7000 dinar].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back