News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You shouldn't have to set any options. It will analyze the file you uploaded and reencode it to a bunch of different resolutions and bitrates and even formats to accommodate the needs of different clients. It is possible for it to weird out, though. In fact it could only be serving you 360p while happily showing other people the proper HD versions.

It will show each new supported resolution once that has been processed. The lowest res always comes up first.

Mr.Fox, Grall,

Thank you both so much for these advices.

Grall said:
I believe you need not worry that much. Since the lamp is off already when the fan cuts off it won't be getting any hotter than it was while running (no power = no heat dissipation), and since it tolerates running-condition heat levels it should tolerate cooling off from running temp without the fan.

That's quite comforting and does make sense. At least I hope. The lamp I am currently using is at ~800 hours (the last one reached ~4400 hours). Anyway, I am just about to order a spare, in case this one does die due to these errors I am getting.

Mr. Fox said:
It could be the device that you switch FROM that triggers a bug, or a combination, does it happen when you switch from any device?

Do you have the latest firmware on both the rotel and the hw15?

When you enable CEC on your projector, do you see the Rotel and all devices connected to the receiver in the "device list", or do you seee only the PS4? CEC builds a tree of all devices that the projector reads from the receiver, so any corrupt data there could make some very random bugs, the PS4 change could tigger a bug completely elsewhere, it could come from any device in the tree, not just the active chain.

I have to admit, I have never used CEC, just knew that my projector had that option and at the time the PS3. I didn't do much research and I simply turned the feature "on" without it actually ever working. Now that I looked into it closer due to the problems with the 1.7 update, I just realized that it's a feature that doesn't seem to work anyway, due to the way I hooked up my devices. Seems that my Rotel receiver does not support it or filters the signal, as the projector does not see any devices when I check the CEC setting for devices.

Due to the crashes, I have disabled CEC on the projector and on the PS4. My Rotel doesn't support it, so there's nothing to enable/disable there.

As for the firmware updates - I think I am on the 3rd last recent firmware. There haven't been any updates since at least 2011 and I have checked the release notes and felt it wasn't necessary, as they are quite a bit** to get loaded (no USB or internet connection). In order not to break anything, I actually went to B&W headquarters (here in Switzerland) and got it flashed there last time... go figure.

The projector, I assume, is on its original firmware, as I never updated anything there. In fact, I wasn't even aware I could - no option in the menu as far as I can see or anything. Would need to check the manual.

In anycase, I think the problem is at two ends:

- PS4 doing something with the 1.7 update that is not accoarding to spec triggering an unhandled exception/crash on the projector or a bug

- projector crashes and doesn't handle the crash as it should - as evidently by the immediate shutdown without cooling-down phase

Anyway, since last night, I haven't attempted any further tests. Seeing that disabling deep color didn't do the trick (which accoarding to reports is causing problems for quite a few customers outthere), I am have enabled HDCP on the PS4 and left deep color disabled. I think this is at least the config that is being touted as a possible solution for those with the HDMI issues.

I'll find out tonight if it still happens or not... I am also yet to find out if it makes a difference if PS4 is being booted from standby or complete shutdown. *I don't think* it made a difference, but will try to check this for sure.

I am also yet to disconnect the Rotel from the chain to see if the problem still happens...

I have to say, I really hope that Sony is aware of what this 1.7 update has caused and right now, it feels like I am the only person where the issue is so severe, that it could potentially break equipment - or cause heavy wear and tear.

It's one of the big drawbacks when using audiophile higher-end equipment (talking about the Rotel here) - some of the faults are just mind boggling (on the software front) and there are usually fewer solutions available since these devices are less "outthere"...

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05...-dimming-the-light-measured-for-all-settings/
  • On “Bright” setting, the controller ran from 8:48 PM to 7:47 AM the morning after, clocking 10 hours and 59 minutes of battery life.
  • On “Medium” setting, the controller started its work at 5:25 PM and ran out of juice at 5:25 AM, for a total battery life of 11 hours and 42 minutes. 50 Minutes longer than the “Bright” setting.
  • On “Dim” Settin it ran from 9:41 AM to 10:02 PM, clocking 12 hours and 21 minutes of battery life. 81 minutes longer than the “Bright” setting.
Considering the DS4 has a 3650 mW-h battery, they got:
Bright: 331 mW average Idle
Medium: 311 mW average Idle
Dim: 296 mW average Idle

Matching this with djskribbles's light measurements (medium drops 42%), at medium setting their blue led consumption drops 20mW, so it would consume 36mW to 44mW total at max setting, depending on the led's behaviour at different power levels.

Assuming the same battery capacity, my own tests were:
Bright: 405 mW average Continuous Gameplay, rumble off, speaker on (9h)
OFF: 365 mW average Continuous Gameplay, rumble off, speaker on (10h)

That was also 40 mW for the blue led at max.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work.

Yeah I'm in the middle of testing the DS4 set to dim playing Trials. I have 1 bar left (it's been at 1 bar for about 45min) and I've been playing for 7.5hrs. So I figure I should get around 9, whereas I would get around 8 and change before. So set to dim, it's barely any better, but I'll take it.

edit: got ~9.5 hours of playtime before the controller shutoff (or around 9 hours before the warning came up). Definitely a bit better, but not by much.

There you go:

Jed Ashforth said:
The tracking light… it was our department that said we need that on, it was for tracking for VR.
And when all these things were coming out six months ago and everyone was going 'it's reflecting in my TV,' we were going 'oh no' because we couldn't tell anyone what it was for.

The light is for Project Morpheus.

Great so another gimmick product (cough, 3D TV, cough) that I will likely never use or want and that interferes with the core functionality of the product I use almost every day (in this case by wasting power and development resources on superfluousness).

Supposedly upwards of 65% of the population wear glasses of some sort. So as long as you have to strap something to your head for VR, it's going to be useless for the majority of consumers (much like glasses based 3D TV).

Cheers

Supposedly upwards of 65% of the population wear glasses of some sort. So as long as you have to strap something to your head for VR, it's going to be useless for the majority of consumers (much like glasses based 3D TV).
Yes! Shuhei Yoshida, a man who wears glasses, has spent four years developing a product he can't use.

It works fine with glasses. This has been reported on a fair bit. The same is true for Oculus, whose CTO is John Carmack. Who wears glasses.

Great so another gimmick product (cough, 3D TV, cough) that I will likely never use or want and that interferes with the core functionality of the product I use almost every day (in this case by wasting power and development resources on superfluousness).

Cheers
What the heck are you talking about. It's just a led. Their mistake was that it took them too much time to enable the dimming feature. It's now a non-issue.

Don't buy a 3D TV if you don't want one.

Don't buy a VR product if you don't want one.

Project Morpheus doesn't interfere with prescription glasses.

okay, what else are you angry about?

Strange decision, why just not turn led on when it required?
It's also the power indicator, and the player identification in local multiplayer games. It can't be completely off obviously, no more than the 4 red leds on the DS3 can be turned off. But it can be dimmed. I suppose it will turn back to full power when playing a game that uses the tracking. Anyone tested it?

Jed Ashforth, Senior Designer at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, told TechRadar that Sony's virtual reality superteam ensured the tracking light was put into the controller - though everyone had to keep quiet about its main purpose.
The interview was quoted out of context. It's not about the led being powered on, he is talking about the presence of the front led in the DS4 design, this is the design team getting requirements from the engineering team. We all knew it was for tracking, but we didn't know how important it was, and they couldn't tell us. It would have been stupid if the VR kit required new controllers, just because a 50 cents led wasn't planned into the design.

Now that's an example of "Secret Sauce."
:D

Now that tests are in, I think saving 1~2 hours out of 10 hours of play isn't exactly enough to justify the requirement of dimming the LED. It's good if it's there but it's not exactly something that I feel that I have to complain about.

But of course that's up for debate and solely my own opinion.

Digital Foundry - The PlayStation 4 hard drive upgrade guide

Eurogamer have a nice DF article on the gains of replacing the stock 5400rpm HDD in the PS4.

Personally I am happy with my choice of a 1Tb 7200rpm drive but it's nice to know that when big SSDs become more affordable, that they'll bring some noticeable improvements in some areas of the PS4's operation.

I'm happy with the 1TB hybrid I put in. Though just looking at the amount of space used already a 2TB or greater drive would probably make more sense.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

Download/Instal times don't bother me. It was the texture streaming that disappointed me. Now I feel I must get an SSD to get the best experience possible. I always thought pc gamers were looking for ways to waste money when buying an SSD, apparently not.

When do you think the SSD option will catch on? They have been around for quite a while now and they are still too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back