News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gief fucking 3D blu-ray support already!

Also, full-range RGB support, remote control support. Ability to turn off the stupid lightbar when camera is not in use.

Sony is dropping the ball seriously on firmware development. What the shit are they doing on that front? Seemingly nothing, is the company really losing so much money they have to skimp on everything?

Sony is dropping the ball seriously on firmware development. What the shit are they doing on that front? Seemingly nothing, is the company really losing so much money they have to skimp on everything?

Sometimes I can't quite tell how serious people are being with statements like this. I'm not sure if they truly believe what they type and honestly think because they have not heard anything that the only conclusion is that nothing is going on or if they're just upset about the lack of transparency with the process and venting.

Gief fucking 3D blu-ray support already!

Also, full-range RGB support, remote control support. Ability to turn off the stupid lightbar when camera is not in use.

This has been working since day 1.

As much as I'd like better media playback, I hope they are doing as they claimed... finishing the must-have gaming feature before working on the nice-to-have secondary stuff. I guess we'll learn more about that later today?

He might be a total drama queen, but in Grall's defence, it's been 5 months or so. Surely they have the resources to get a few people down to work and finish what they started?

Yeah, the option to pause downloads is probably the biggest one I want added. Being able to select which games you want auto-updated would be nice, too. My bandwidth usage is limited so downloading these fairly large patches for every game can use quite a bit.

PS Knowledge center says: "Image quality for some applications has been improved."
I don't know exactly what they improved but an improvement in image quality can't be bad ;)

AF? :)

Hmm.. This is not unlike driver updates in the PC space, I guess we may even see "performance on some titles increased".
I remember vendors replacing shaders on specific titles to bet better benchmarks :)

I wish there was a way to set when it would download updates/upload to the cloud like you could on the PS3 also. I've noticed often that it won't upload cloud saves unless I log out of the current user on my PS4 first.

AF? :)

Hmm.. This is not unlike driver updates in the PC space, I guess we may even see "performance on some titles increased".
I remember vendors replacing shaders on specific titles to bet better benchmarks :)

A >300MB download seems somewhat excessive to fix a bug in the graphics library.

A >300MB download seems somewhat excessive to fix a bug in the graphics library.

Definitely not saying that would be the only thing they might have touched. Actually, I was totally kidding. But we don't know if they are employing a "differential" patch either, do we? Probably they are updating UI elements etc. so UI graphics may be part of this 300MB. In any case, applying differential patches is a bit complicated due to people having different firmwares so they may not want to risk that. Tho I remember them adding such a firmware upgrade method during the PS3 era.

I'm not sure if they truly believe what they type and honestly think because they have not heard anything that the only conclusion is that nothing is going on
The months come and go and no major features are added. All we see are what appears to be maintenance updates, bug fixes. There's not even any timetable of major features to be added, or hints of a timetable. At this stage, who the hell knows if or when we'll see the already announced features.

This has been working since day 1.
Reportedly not when playing back DVD/BR discs...

The months come and go and no major features are added. All we see are what appears to be maintenance updates, bug fixes. There's not even any timetable of major features to be added, or hints of a timetable. At this stage, who the hell knows if or when we'll see the already announced features.

Reportedly not when playing back DVD/BR discs...

DVD/BR aren't encoded in full range so why would it work for them?

[citation needed] on that one, my friend; I don't see why they wouldn't be. Anyway, the setting sure makes a difference on PS3, that's very certain.

[citation needed] on that one, my friend; I don't see why they wouldn't be. Anyway, the setting sure makes a difference on PS3, that's very certain.

Because BR aren't even encoded as RGB.

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/hdmi-black-levels-xvycc-rgb

Now that I have you thoroughly confused, let's get back to the issue at hand. ALL video stored on modern discs, be it DVD or Blu-ray, are stored as YCbCr with a range of 16-235. But, the content is mastered such that 0-255 is present in the tape domain (the SDI stream - D5 archive tape, etc.) It is then captured into a computer and then the computer will decide what to do with it - preferably retaining the extended info (all data from 0-255). This entire range is then compressed into the 16-235 range accepted by DVDs, Blu-ray Discs, etc. When you play that back on a system set to 16-235, you get all the information as it was intended with no gaps. If you mismatch and play back with RGB (0-255) settings, you'll clip off the black and white levels and black will look "dark gray". Additionally, you won't be able to view the Blacker-than-Black images found on most video test discs.

Simplifying the Process - What to Do

Luckily for us - the net result is that these settings aren't all that hard to get right after all. Here are a few things to keep in mind, however:

Standard definition DVDs, Blu-ray discs and HD signals are all YCbCr 16-235 range native. Always set your source to YCbCr mode (not RGB) when calibrating your black and white levels on your display.

Some AV receivers may not pass anything except 16-235 via HDMI. This means that if you are setting your source to RGB (0-255) you may get your black and white levels truncated.

xvYCC is significant ONLY if all components in the chain support xvYCC. Do not utilize this setting on any component unless everything else can fall into place. Once set, xvYCC should override and RGB or YCbCr settings.

I'll test this later tonight. I'd be surprised if RGB Full worked on games but not BR.

Outputting YCbCr for Blu-Ray is better 99% of the time. Some displays look a bit better using RGB (Pioneer Kuros for example) but YCbCr 4:2:0 16-235 is the native color space for Blu-Ray, so it's usually best to avoid any unnecessary conversions by outputting RGB. If setup properly and the conversions are done properly, RGB Full, Limited or YCbCr shouldn't look much (if any) different.

If you use RGB and set it to Full range, the PS4 will convert YCbCr to RGB and map black to 0 and white to 255. BTB/WTW (blacker than black/whiter than white) will no longer be visible.

Ok, I was curious so I tried it right now. Unlike the PS3, the PS4 doesn't allow you to change the colorspace for Blu-Ray/disc-based video anymore... it appears to always outputs YCbCr, and games always output RGB (as the PS3 did). So the RGB range setting obviously only affects games/PDM. Again, in most cases, that is the optimal setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I was curious so I tried it right now. Unlike the PS3, the PS4 doesn't allow you to change the colorspace for Blu-Ray/disc-based video anymore... it appears to always outputs YCbCr, and games always output RGB (as the PS3 did). So the RGB range setting obviously only affects games/PDM. Again, in most cases, that is the optimal setup.
I suppose that's done to allow the TV to deal with media input as the TV is designed to, rather than to supply an RGB feed and use a different display path for the image with different, non-TV, processing.

You get the option to choose Automatic, Limited, or Full for both the RGB output and the YCbCr. There is also a menu that you can only access when you are watching a film and that allows you to tweak the output as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back