News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: I suppose Sony have basically given up on the idea of one box to rule them all.

Or, you know, they just didn't have time to complete by launch. It's not too far fetched to imagine a scenario where target features were listed, voted on, prioritized and then worked on in that order. Or we could assume a conspiracy to force people into Music Unlimited and other paid services.

If they have something good for Gaikai subscription, I might sign up. For now, there is no value for me in Music Unlimited with or without background music playback. Already have other devices that are more music capable.

Or, you know, they just didn't have time to complete by launch. It's not too far fetched to imagine a scenario where target features were listed, voted on, prioritized and then worked on in that order. Or we could assume a conspiracy to force people into Music Unlimited and other paid services.

If they want to be a media box too, then they should send some positive signals our way. Giving exclusive "air time" to Music Unlimited is not going to help.

"We have a console for people who like listening to CDs and MP3s - it's called PS3" ...

Seriously, though: I'll probably cancel my Music Unlimited subscription in reaction to this. It's a great service - but if they think they can FORCE me to use it by deliberately not enabling simple MP3-playback on their 2 Teraflops next-gen console ... that's just rediculous and pushing things a little too far.

For whatever its worth.

twitteryospthanksforthioqh.jpg

To be honest, this doesn't really bother me as I've never used the music player on the PS3, but it's a weird omission.

I don't have, and never will have, a sub to Music Unlimited.

I don't care about media playback features, I have better devices that are the right tools for the job. But it's very important that they implement custom playlists for racing games. It's funny I tried to think about launch games which I'd want custom music, and the only one would be Drive Club... hmmm.... could the delay be related? :???:

The last times Shu said they'll take the criticism into consideration was the HDCP restriction and YouTube. Both of which were corrected (though not for launch), so it's not exactly worrying.

Considering the reaction to the OS reservation making PS4 more game-centric might be the right move.
Even here on this forums most of us didn't like the idea to have more resources dedicated to services at expense of games after all.
Sony now has the chance to "unlock" more RAM to games and make PS4 a better console which is not a stupid move.
While some customers will be turned off by the lack of some services/functions others will be attracted by the perspective of better gaming.
A fair trade-off If you ask me.

Sony might get something good in return if it plays its cards well in my opinion.

As if removing non-subscription service based media is a "dev team" decision. . .

Probably meant PS4 dev team lead (Cerny) vs Game dev team head (himself).

EDIT: If these 2 people can't at least get some ball rolling for a worthy discussion (with other management), gimme 30 minutes. I'll drive up to their HQ and let the Bay water into their building. It's just right beside the water.

Or, you know, they just didn't have time to complete by launch. It's not too far fetched to imagine a scenario where target features were listed, voted on, prioritized and then worked on in that order.
That is of course a possibility, but they haven't suggested these features are coming or due, which surely is something they'd aim to do if that's the intention such as they have done with other features (not available at launch). If we look at some PS3 features that weren't listed, they never happened. And with an x86 CPU, it's not like an MP3 playlist would be a hard app to knock up.

Yosp's tweet suggests it wasn't on the cards and now they'll consider it. He didn't say, "we intend these features in future but they are not our launch priority."

That is of course a possibility, but they haven't suggested these features are coming or due, which surely is something they'd aim to do if that's the intention such as they have done with other features (not available at launch). If we look at some PS3 features that weren't listed, they never happened. And with an x86 CPU, it's not like an MP3 playlist would be a hard app to knock up.

Yosp's tweet suggests it wasn't on the cards and now they'll consider it. He didn't say, "we intend these features in future but they are not our launch priority."

I don't presume to know what it takes to create a media player app on the PS4, but both scenarios are possibilities (conspiracy vs time). I just find the immediate jump to conspiracy I've seen across the internet quite intriguing. Their wording around their responses, however, is interesting. Particularly when some responses clearly indicate a planned but not ready stance on a feature. That said, I'm also not going to make any guesses about why they use different wording with different features as their internal reasoning could be vastly different than what might seem common externally.

Yosp says it wasn't planned to be available at launch. Hirai said they wouldn't implement media features at launch but that they would come later. Cerny also said something similar.

My guess is that they'll change the priority of DLNA and MP3 implementation up a notch, but it still won't be at launch.

It's one of those things where it'd be nice and smart to just clarify, certainly if they have the intention. "DLNA and MP3 are planned and will be released with a later FW." That way those with doubts prior to buying will have them assuaged. It's certainly come as a surprise to those expecting more of PS3's inclusive featureset and, with the expectations proven wrong, a little explanation would do wonders.

The fact that music can be streamed from the interwebs through Music Unlimited but not being able to play mp3's seems more like a corporate decision than not being able to spare enough dev time. They sure had enough time to implement internet streaming which would be a little more complex than just reading a file on the hard disk.

Maybe they just don't have the time to work on these non-essential features and want to get the OS/system running smoothly for launch. I doubt we'll have to wait long to get these features added if enough people request it.

Does DLNA have that broad an appeal?

If the PS4 supported Android phones streaming video and music to it for display and playback on the HDTV, that would have much more use.

no mp3 support, what a joke

Lack of the CD playing is also pretty bad esp since they invented the format, though no doubt many can live without that

no 3d games at launch, wow the 3d experience was a short trip

Wouldn't that be dlna? That's how I stream from my phone.

Not sure if there's a standard. Apple has AirPlay for their devices and I've heard of Miracast.

Maybe they would also look at having Spotify and Pandora apps, so you can stream music, though not sure if you can stream music from an app. while playing a game.

Presumably they'd have a Netflix app and apps. from other popular video streaming services?

So what else would people want that they'd get out of DLNA? Do people want to stream their photos to the PS4?

I tried that with the PS3, streaming photos from my computer. Okay I guess but I also have Apple TV so that works for slideshows with music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back