News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patience is for kids with an infinite amount of time to play.

Immediacy == Less waiting == More playing.

Mark Cerny explained this goal very clearly when he described the background install, play while downloading, and instant suspend/resume.

All wait and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Sorry but I could not resit

Confused by the wording in the PS4 OS update 1.5 FAQ:

There are two ways for users to view live broadcasts. First, the Live from PlayStation application on PS4 aggregates streams from all PlayStation users. Second, users can spectate friends’ PS4 gameplay from PCs, and applications such as Ustream, Twitch, and browsers, which are installed on their mobile devices. These applications can be easily started up via PlayStation App, and users can also use these applications to post comments to gameplay broadcasts.

The above seems to suggest that the PS4 only allows watching of Playstation streams on the machine itself which would be a huge disappointment. It also implies no web browser on the PS4 (since "browser" is equated to external devices) and suggests the native PS4 client will not support chat.

I'll be pissed if my PS4 won't let me watch a Lirik or Cthulhu The 3rd Twitch stream because they happen to playing something other than a PS4 game at the time. I watch a tonne of Twitch and it's a major selling point for me to have a no hassle, non-PC based client for it in the front room.

Cheers

Patience is for kids with an infinite amount of time to play.

Mark Cerny explained this goal very clearly when he described the background install, play while downloading, and instant suspend/resume.

It's more than few minutes. Installing a 50GB bluray at 6x CAV takes 42 minutes.

Well, I didn't mean literally wait in front of your PS4 :LOL:, just put disk in, start install and do something else, take long shower, eat something, e.g. ... but yeah, I see the point, this background install is probably best compromise. Nevertheless it would be nice to have option to do full install.

We know PS4 has both a browser and a dedicated Twitch app that lets you watch anything on the service.

So far the only information I can dig up saying there will be a web browser is a terse comment in a Japanese press release from February of this year:

http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130221a_e.html

Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4.

Anyone have any links more recent than that? February is a long time ago so plans could have easily changed.

Cheers

Well, I didn't mean literally wait in front of your PS4 :LOL:, just put disk in, start install and do something else, take long shower, eat something, e.g. ... but yeah, I see the point, this background install is probably best compromise. Nevertheless it would be nice to have option to do full install.
Start the game, leave it in the main menu, come back an hour later... you'll have a full install.

Directly from the Cerny's mouth...
So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?page=3

This is me, trying to cram gaming into frequently shorted sessions and why I'm bummed that suspend/resume won't be there on day 1. Ok, waiting an extra 30 seconds to load isn't a great hardship but not having to worry about save points and saving the game before shutting down is what I was really looking forward too.

Mind you, it's not there on day for the Americans, maybe it'll be there on day one for Europeans. Like we never had to endure the PlayStation 3 without background downloading :smile:

So far the only information I can dig up saying there will be a web browser is a terse comment in a Japanese press release from February of this year:

http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130221a_e.html

Anyone have any links more recent than that? February is a long time ago so plans could have easily changed.

Cheers

They use the web browser in this French video of the PS4 UI: http://ps4daily.com/2013/10/a-couple-french-guys-show-off-the-ps4s-dynamic-ui-in-a-video/

Looks like a mobile browser again based on the page layouts. . .either that or the browser's user agent was fooling sites into serving the mobile version. Also, looks like no or outdated Flash support based on video playback seemed to be borked. I'm going to assume the slowish rendering speed was due to wireless network issues in that location as opposed to the system itself being slow (since everything else seemed snappy).

Also, if that's the UI they are delivering, do you see any valid justification other than "watch our ads" for not allowing theme customization?

Cheers

It also implies no web browser on the PS4

No it doesn't imply anything like that, really. Since PS4 has a native app for viewing the stream, they had no business mentioning a browser path to watching the stream.

On additional note, a native app makes much more sense in this instance, it would take a lot less resources than a browser so switching to watching a stream could be much more instant than firing up your browser, and also it would provide extra functions like "Join game" etc. with 0 extra hassle of integrating it as an extension in the browser or server side detection of PS4 browser and laying out the website accordingly, with the browser interpreting those to talk with game OS

It's a dev version of the OS. The visual treatments aren't final. And complaining about the lack of custom wallpapers is about the weakest complaint I've ever seen about a console launch. If that is supposed to be some kind of wedge issue, good luck with that.

It's a dev version of the OS. The visual treatments aren't final. And complaining about the lack of custom wallpapers is about the weakest complaint I've ever seen about a console launch. If that is supposed to be some kind of wedge issue, good luck with that.
Once again I find myself defending free speech and people's right to grumble and complain about things they don't like. Lots of folk like to customise their devices, and a lack of themes is something they lament; they're entitled to mention as much without it being a 'wedge issue'.

I for one am perplexed by the idea of no themes. It's an easy coin generator for Sony selling them. I can understand no home-made themes as that undercuts the market. If I get a Ps4, I hope I can adjust the UI as I don't really like this. I have PS3 customised with a theme I got early on with much better icons IMO.

I for one am perplexed by the idea of no themes. It's an easy coin generator for Sony selling them. I can understand no home-made themes as that undercuts the market. If I get a Ps4, I hope I can adjust the UI as I don't really like this. I have PS3 customised with a theme I got early on with much better icons IMO.

Any feature getting cut is being cut so something else can make the launch.
A lot of the features will turn up after launch, though they may not show up quickly.

Confused by the wording in the PS4 OS update 1.5 FAQ:

The above seems to suggest that the PS4 only allows watching of Playstation streams on the machine itself which would be a huge disappointment. It also implies no web browser on the PS4 (since "browser" is equated to external devices) and suggests the native PS4 client will not support chat.

I'll be pissed if my PS4 won't let me watch a Lirik or Cthulhu The 3rd Twitch stream because they happen to playing something other than a PS4 game at the time. I watch a tonne of Twitch and it's a major selling point for me to have a no hassle, non-PC based client for it in the front room.

Cheers

The Playstation app may be tailored for only Playstation contents though. I remember Sony support multiple video partners. One app to access all the videos across sites would be needed.

For general Twitch TV support, it may be more realistic to expect or request for a different Twitch app.

Looks like a mobile browser again based on the page layouts. . .either that or the browser's user agent was fooling sites into serving the mobile version. Also, looks like no or outdated Flash support based on video playback seemed to be borked. I'm going to assume the slowish rendering speed was due to wireless network issues in that location as opposed to the system itself being slow (since everything else seemed snappy).

Also, if that's the UI they are delivering, do you see any valid justification other than "watch our ads" for not allowing theme customization?

Cheers

Mobile layout is a little ugly for a big screen. But it would use much less resources while a game is running.

It is possible and likely that the desktop web standards diverge more when Google branched off WebKit, and with MS proposing new stuff (e.g., combining mouse pointer and gesture programming).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back