News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key takeaway being that the stock drive is 5,400 RPM and that the bay can take the taller 12.5 mm drives. That opens up a few more drive replacement options.
The 2TB tall drives are 15mm I think...

I ordered a 960GB SSD, but there's no risk because if it doesn't work in the PS4 it'll be my laptop upgrade anyway :LOL:

Charlie just posted new article on S|A that is talking on some changes that Sony wants to introduce into this lifecycle of consoles. Article is completely behind the paywall, but one thing caught my eye - among many usual tags, this article has a "internet based hardware unlocking" tag.

Ok... now I'm intrigued. Can anyone get their hands on full article? :D Does he think that initial PS4 hardware is intentinally underclocked/some modules are not active, or maybe he thinks that successor will come in lets say 3-4 years with great compatibility with PS4 [games will have "low" mode for PS4 and "high preformance" mode for PS5"].

But this is Charlie. Its probably nothing. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What on earth are you doing wasting thoughts on that raving lunatic? He makes shit up, that's all he does. When was the last time he got anything other than perhaps the time of day right? (Considering the topic, I should perhaps say "the other left"... :LOL:)

Charlie's a mythomaniac and/or compulsive liar. Nothing behind his paywall is worth reading, much less actually paying for. He's just fishing for more clicks, that's all.

The 2TB tall drives are 15mm I think...
You're right, I just checked. Current 2TB drive is 15mm high, but that'll shrink down soon-ish as densities improve, if anyone actually needs 2TB or more in a games console that hasn't even been released yet. ;)

Anyway, in PS3 you can't even fit a 12.5mm drive, they must be lower profile 9.whatever mm, so this is certainly an upgrade. And as mentioned, a third-party top cover could allow taller drives still - if there's actually any point to it, considering PS4 supports external drives as well from what I seem able to remember.

You're right, I just checked. Current 2TB drive is 15mm high, but that'll shrink down soon-ish as densities improve, if anyone actually needs 2TB or more in a games console that hasn't even been released yet. ;)

Anyway, in PS3 you can't even fit a 12.5mm drive, they must be lower profile 9.whatever mm, so this is certainly an upgrade. And as mentioned, a third-party top cover could allow taller drives still - if there's actually any point to it, considering PS4 supports external drives as well from what I seem able to remember.
Yeah, but since there's a 9mm 1.5TB available, there's nothing bigger anyway that fits. Older 1.5TB were 12.5mm, so maybe a lower cost... whenever there will be an increase in density it should happen across the board equally.

While I appreciate all the great info they're giving us... The noise test is so wrong, I think the results should be ignored until someone uses a more reasonable methodology. :cry:

Does anyone know how Sony is handling disc game installs? I'm guessing that it will be like this gen where there will be partial installs, but now with the option the do a full install? I know the latter part is true.

My new guess for the layout, roughly to scale (1 pixel = 1mm).

Motherboard on top, inverted, and the PSU on the bottom to clear the I/O area. Because they're using GDDR5, they can have a motherboard that is very small.

It could fit very tightly a 120mm centrifugal fan, and the motherboard doesn't encumber the fan area, so there's easily enough height for 30mm or 35mm blade height and maybe 10mm left for the inlet chamber, the rest being casing and shielding. The heatsink area would be aligned with the blades, the inlet chamber would be aligned with the motherboard (sucking air under it to cool the backside where half of the GDDR5 chips are). It leaves a huge area available for however much metal they need for the heatsink (purple area).

chxl.png

Does anyone know how Sony is handling disc game installs? I'm guessing that it will be like this gen where there will be partial installs, but now with the option the do a full install? I know the latter part is true.

I think they only mentioned full install so far. Not far now from the moment of truth...

They have said games are fully installed automatically in the background as you play.

So buying the physical version of a game won't save any HDD space over the digital version?

Possibly. There is little detail but if discs are needed to play retail bought games then there could be a case for not installing everything on the HDD, such as the gigabytes of high resolution rendered in-game engine movies that Naughty Dog are known for. This kind of data would be better streamed off the disc, leaving the HDD free to stream in the game's next levels.

We just don't know yet.

MrFox, I think that PS4 will use standard PS3 Slim PSU [or something very simmilar looking], not like the one you depicted here.
http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/YxlOA4s4ukOuwHfg

Also, take in account air grills that are situatied in both "canyons" on the side of the PS4
https://sketchfab.com/show/b7LzIm8JrnPw4GBDOMBNGYc39qM

Even the official stand for PS4 has integrated air pathways
http://images.littlewoods.com/is/image/Littlewoods/B857P_SP481_02_3UVRRa?wid=1200&hei=1600

MrFox, I think that PS4 will use standard PS3 Slim PSU
I think it will use something built for PS4 from the ground up, TBH.

Also, take in account air grills that are situatied in both "canyons" on the side of the PS4
...What about them? Likely air intakes, with hot air expelled through the larger slots at the rear, which would enable a fan arrangement like the one shown in the sketch.

http://i.computer-bild.de/imgs/4/7/6/2/0/8/1/Playstation-4-Rueckseite-360x203-98f62fd0763df145.jpg
If you look at the back side of the real working PS4s (not the empty shells that were published previously), there's a thicker line of plastic where the motherboard goes, and there's a similar thick line where the PSU PCB is expected to be. The PSU line runs only the length of the I/O area, so I think that's where it stops.

The entire back area of the PS4 is 100% of the air outlet.

The side grooves are the inlets.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress...tation-4-658x370-32b194540fd678e1-610x343.jpg
On the picture from BILT where we see the HDD being replaced, the MB is visible in the back half, and it has a triangle of air holes that goes under the PCB. This entire area (including the HDD) is almost sure to be in the intake path that goes through the side groove of the case, because the HDD needs to be in the intake path, and because the fan inlet chamber would be exactly there. This chamber would also open through the right side of the case.

Anyway the point of my sketch is to show how a centrifugal fan could fit in an ideal way. If they use the maximum space available, the fan would output "mostly" at a 45 degrees angle. The most efficient use of that air flow would be to have a heat sink diagonally. It would obviously have openings so that some air flow is also going through the PSU (which doesn't need much).

Maybe it has a horizontal heatsink like the PS3-Fat, but most of the air would still output from the left and it's a big waste of metal. Maybe just a portion of this would need to be heatsink fins.

j2zy.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back