News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time believing that this happens a lot if this is the first time we've seen it reported.

And of course it's going to overheat considering the enclosure it was in.

Yes, the enclosure seems air proof. May prevent tinkering but there has to be a good enough solution that both lets you show the form factor and keep it cool and safe from tinkering.

I have a hard time believing that this happens a lot if this is the first time we've seen it reported.

And of course it's going to overheat considering the enclosure it was in.

People would need acess to them to report on the problems. Obviously if you have them on a desk in a cool room you wont have a problem. Some entertainment furniture causes problems though.

PS4s were playable at the EG expo and they were all in enclosed units... not quite as bad as the image above, but still worse than most people would store their PS4s. If this was an issue, I'm sure at least a few people would have reported it.

If you have one of those entertainment units with a front door and you're dumb enough to put your PS4 in there with the door shut, you deserve what's coming to you. That's the only time I could see this being an issue.

Yes, the enclosure seems air proof. May prevent tinkering but there has to be a good enough solution that both lets you show the form factor and keep it cool and safe from tinkering.
A small exhaust fan at the back or bottom of the enclosure would probably suffice. Or even SOME ventilation would help a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video quality is too low to discern the details. :(

American voice over is terrible. Original voice is French.
Will wait for better capture. Not much longer now...

patsu you should have read my spoiler !

I've never been a fan of the ps3 menus and this doesn't look better to me. But it seems like if you really liked that set up this should be great.

XMB has some nice features, but it's just a navigator. I think the XMB chatroom is innovative. The XMB Move implementation is disappointing. Original browser was abyssal. WebKit browser is a great improvement, but still so-so. The new PS Store is slow. The skinny apps are very useful though. My wife seems to like the apps' giant buttons.

The PS4 UI should have more scope to hate or like.

its real and it happens a lot.

The impressions from the show are interesting. I've had a lot less experience with the ps4 than the xbox one. But I've seen the ps4 prompt a heat warning before.

Probaly Yoshida means is that it's not a Red Light of Death as some suggested.
I actually think that warning the users that console is nearing critical overheat is much better then leave them clueless.
As a safety measure it's not stupid.

Anyway I sincerely doubt anyone will use PS4 tens of hours straight and put it in a plastic box with little airflow.

'Little airflow' is an understatement... that enclosure looks like it's roughly 1.5'x1.5'x10" with only a small hole for the wires. (better pic here). The PS4 is essentially enclosed and breathing in the same heat that it's blowing out and being run for several hours straight... no wonder it's overheating.

But I agree.. it's probably an auto-shutdown feature due to heat, not a system failure.

Side note, according to the article I posted above, there was practically no noise coming from the PS4.

Links or it didn't happen!

Never underestimate the stupidity of some people... :p

Man , I left my google glasses at home on sunday otherwise I would have recorded the whole thing so I could link it to you.

Of course I'm sure some friends of mine would be fired but nothing like being in a hotel room with both a ps4 and one in the same room and people fighting each other to play both.

So ... if you put your PS4 into a tiny plastic box without ventilation, they really expect you to open that box after every 10 hours of intensive gaming in order for it to keep working properly?

Damn.

And here was I thinking I could vacuum seal my PS4 to prevent it from picking up dust ... or at least keep it in the retail box while playing games.

How dare they building a console that isn't capable of creating a solid airflow without air around it?

I guess they cheaped out and didn't run any vacuum chamber tests?

its real and it happens a lot.

The impressions from the show are interesting. I've had a lot less experience with the ps4 than the xbox one. But I've seen the ps4 prompt a heat warning before.
Links or it didn't happen!
Man , I left my google glasses at home on sunday otherwise I would have recorded the whole thing so I could link it to you
So, to be clear, you're saying the red light warning of overheating is real and it happens a lot? So we can expect lots of reports of red lights and overheating PS4's when it releases? :???:

Man , I left my google glasses at home on sunday otherwise I would have recorded the whole thing so I could link it to you.
Right. So your story is now that with the sample of ONE (alledged!) PS4, it overheats frequently during...what, just regular gaming use? While just sitting out in the open on a hard surface, or stuffed in a tight bag together with 15 angora cats, what? I am sorry, but I have to call bullshit on this one.

Of course I'm sure some friends of mine would be fired but nothing like being in a hotel room with both a ps4 and one in the same room and people fighting each other to play both.
Right, so you the school janitor knows people with pre-release casual access to both bones and PS4s. I very much believe what I am reading.

Grall your not fun at all. Ps4 playing watch dogs stuttered and red lined while I was there. After show hours a 3rd part dev with both kits had private showings of games for the press.

The ps4 they had red lined also.

I wish I was a janitor they make better money than I do amd dont have to deal with the board of ed .however I think that was supposed to be a personal jab at me

Ah, may be running a debug/test or prerelease unit ?

Sony told kotaku the retail unit will look different from the screens in that 16 minute UI video too.

We should be able to see the stock PS4 units in stores soon.

Grall your not fun at all. Ps4 playing watch dogs stuttered and red lined while I was there. After show hours a 3rd part dev with both kits had private showings of games for the press.

The ps4 they had red lined also.
I find it hard to believe that Sony made a PS4 that can't deal with its own heat output and crashes in ordinary use. I'd be inclined to believe the red line you saw (assuming you're not making stuff up ;)) may be an indicator of a crash or failure, but not necessarily overheating. Like the PS3's YLOD wasn't always due to the overheating problem.

No idea shifty both times it happened there was stuttering and freeze before the line came up.

Like I said. I only know a few people. Ive had acess to the xbox one alot more than the ps4 which I only recwnrly got my hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back