News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS4 Sells Out Faster than Hotcakes at All Major Japanese Retailers
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10...anese-retailers-in-most-cases-within-minutes/

This morning between 7 and 7:30 AM local time the floodgates for preorders of the PS4 opened on most Japanese major retail websites. How fast did it sell out? Very, Very Fast.

All the Japanese online stores in which the console has gone up for preorder in the window mentioned above, including Amazon Japan, Yodabashi Camera, Bic Camera, Sofmap, Edion and Rakuten Books ran out of stock extremely fast. Some within mere minutes. Amazon Japan was the one to last the longest, for about 40 minutes.

Update – 9:00 Japan Time: Amazon Japan reopened preorders, probably after receiving a further allocation of units from Sony. We’ll see how long these will last. All other retailers are still completely sold out.

May be availability issues, or may be exceptional demand. Time will tell.

Why can't we live in PEACE !! :p... Of course where is the PROFIT in that ? ;)

I personally don't think the PS4 is "settling" unless there is a very strong reason to get the Kinect but then again I have no real use for the TV features or exclusives until say Halo or even more interesting Next Gen Gears of War :D Titanfall just means a new graphics card for me and I was gonna get one anyways :cool:

I really want this...hopefully it can recapture those 2006 360 feelings of really being the first true next gen game...

Probably I look forward to Gears as much or more than Halo games. Even though since 1 they haven't been great.

It does not seem like anything is on the front burner regarding Gears, sadly. Even rumors it might come back as multiplatform.

The PS4 Liverpool SoC can now be renamed... the Psygnosis SoC (tongue twister, say it three times fast).

So... it's officially stackable, with proofs :LOL:
The front slant is messing with my brain, I can't grasp the form factor in the picture, this stack is only 8 inches high???

https://twitter.com/Gerritzen/status/386659305199378432/photo/1
BV2wlt8CEAA_QnB.jpg:small

I guess this is what we'll need to play GT7 in 4K.

"PS4 capable of using 32GB of stacked memory" confirmed - the pic should actually go into the technical discussion thread ;)

Hybrid memory cube, stacked memory and stacked processors are soooo yesterday. Its all about the stacked system on system (SoS). Hynix aint got nothing on this baby.

Hybrid memory cube, stacked memory and stacked processors are soooo yesterday. Its all about the stacked system on system (SoS). Hynix aint got nothing on this baby.

Thanks to the magic of NFC this could be possibly true!

Patcher 'allegedly' has put post E3 pre-order numbers for the PS4 at 1.5million. But there may well be shortages after.

“[Sony's] been pretty flawless so far,” Pachter said, speaking on the company’s perfect rolling out of the PS4, and its strong advantage over Microsoft. “Everything they’ve said about PSN has been pretty flawless, and it sounds like there’s value for the cost [of PS4].”
Pachter added: “I mean the only thing they’re gonna have a problem with is supply disruption. That million preorders they talked about, which I understand now is up to one and a half million, that’s a lot of consoles. That tells you that there’s not going to be a lot of boxes behind the first million and a half, so there’s going to be supply shortages.”

Has Sony detailed the PS4's support for media formats (and things like supported H264 levels)?

I have all my movies ripped to my portable external HDD and they currently work flawlessly on the PS3 (though not on many other HDTVs/Bluray players) so I hope the PS4 doesn't go backwards in that regard.

I'm a bit concerned about whether the Jaguar cores will be able to match Cell in demanding HD H264 decoding and whether that might mean some cutbacks to things like the max number of reference frames supported etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Sony detailed the PS4's support for media formats (and things like supported H264 levels)?

I have all my movies ripped to my portable external HDD and they currently work flawlessly on the PS3 (though not on many other HDTVs/Bluray players) so I hope the PS4 doesn't go backwards in that regard.

PS3's main fault in that respect is that it only works with external HDDs formatted in FAT32. Bothered the heck out of me due to the 4GB filesize limit. So PS4 better supports NTFS.

Decoding itself shouldn't pose any problems for PS4.

Did SONY comment on WiDi / Miracast support for PS4? That would be great, too.

PS3's main fault in that respect is that it only works with external HDDs formatted in FAT32. Bothered the heck out of me due to the 4GB filesize limit. So PS4 better supports NTFS.

Decoding itself shouldn't pose any problems for PS4.

PS4 can't support ntfs which is proprietary to windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back