News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah...

I have no idea how they architect it.

I do think that if the visor has built-in mic, then speech recognition will be easier to handle.

Does it have to be one screen per eye?

Or could it be 2 layered screens a la 3DS?

I wonder which would be better.
Sorry, I don't understand the question. You need each eye to see a separate image, obviously. You can either have one screen per eye, like the existing HMZs, or you can have one large screen and separate it so each eye only sees half, as Oculus Rift does, if that answers your question. Oh, do you mean the parallax screen on 3DS? that won't work for a VR headset because it's placed too close to the eyes, I think. Has anyone positioned a 3DS screen 5" in front of their face and tested?

I'm glad this is optional... the more I think about it, the more expensive it sounds...

This would replace the TV and may be PSEye. If the rumor is true, my office PS4 will be set up with this.

My 3DTV in the office went belly up.

It may be good for shared room too. e.g., dorm, if you want to game with full privacy.

Edit:
Only if it's light and cheap enough.

I guess that's true actually, because if we move our eyes even slightly with a close screen, it would screw up the image.

With 3DS we are looking in the same direction more or less.

Unless it's a curved screen maybe?

The calibration might be a nightmare still, so 2 screens might be better anyway.

This would replace the TV and may be PSEye. If the rumor is true, my office PS4 will be set up with this.

My 3DTV in the office went belly up.

The only reason I wouldn't run away from my TV too fast is motion sickness lol.

Though it would be an interesting paradigm to have a headset replace the TV entirely...

It could be another disruptive technology if it really takes off with one of the consoles, who knows?

Maybe the answer to glasses-free-3DTV was not to get rid of the glasses, but to get rid of the TV?

It would be great if Sony also offered Oculus Rift support. It could potentially mean even greater adoption to have more options at buyer's disposal. I hope they stay true to the more open platform mantra, and it's not just applying to indie games.

It would be genuinely a wild story if Sony's new "Walkman" turns out to be their hypervisor or a headset technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that's true actually, because if we move our eyes even slightly with a close screen, it would screw up the image.

With 3DS we are looking in the same direction more or less.

Unless it's a curved screen maybe?

The calibration might be a nightmare still, so 2 screens might be better anyway.

The only reason I wouldn't run away from my TV too fast is motion sickness lol.

Though it would be an interesting paradigm to have a headset replace the TV entirely...

It could be another disruptive technology if it really takes off with one of the consoles, who knows?

Maybe the answer to glasses-free-3DTV was not to get rid of the glasses, but to get rid of the TV?

It would be great if Sony also offered Oculus Rift support. It could potentially mean even greater adoption to have more options at buyer's disposal. I hope they stay true to the more open platform mantra, and it's not just applying to indie games.

Without a shared screen like a TV, the downside is no local co-op and mp.

Unless they can send the second screen to a Vita. [Head explode. Too confusing... Just keep the freaking TV]

That's the display currently used in the $1000 HMZ and also in Sony's very expensive digital viewfinder for its NEX range of cameras. If Sony go that route, it'll be very niche. They need a cheaper solution. Oculus Rift's approach is to mount a larger (7") screen from a tablet and use optics to turn it into a stereoscopic display. This would be by far the cheaper option. I presume that approach is going to be guarded by patents though.

Sony is in good position to match Oculus Rift. Although frame rate will be a challenge. Carmack has already been talking about 120hz (240 stereoscopic frames).

What Sony should do is create a more powerful GPU version of the PS4 to allow for increased frame rates for stereoscopic gaming. Charge an extra $200 for it and call it PS4 Gemini. Push the Oculus Rift clone with the PS4 upgraded gpu.

May be they need higher framerate because they use 1 screen to simulate both eyes ?

I find that the HMZ dual screens approach has much more stable visuals. No flicker.

Without a shared screen like a TV, the downside is no local co-op and mp.

Unless they can send the second screen to a Vita. [Head explode. Too confusing... Just keep the freaking TV]

Yea we should probably bring the discussion back to 2013 :p

I agree that Sony is in a good position to launch this thing, mainly because of having PS4 as a platform. They can use SCEWWS to make technology demos or games or add-ons for games (like what they say for Drive Club) to make the appeal for good sales.

Hopefully those things fare better than their Move games though.

But in any case, if they can wow customers, maybe it will do better than Move and make a bigger lasting impact on the future of PS4.

Sony is in good position to match Oculus Rift. Although frame rate will be a challenge. Carmack has already been talking about 120hz (240 stereoscopic frames).

What Sony should do is create a more powerful GPU version of the PS4 to allow for increased frame rates for stereoscopic gaming. Charge an extra $200 for it and call it PS4 Gemini. Push the Oculus Rift clone with the PS4 upgraded gpu.

I think a drop to 720p resolution in both eyes is more likely, it would be essentially 1080p resolution equivalent :)

That all begs the question as to the specs of this headset device of course. 720p screens are a dime a dozen (not really) on smartphones these days, so at least that's a good thing.

That's the display currently used in the $1000 HMZ and also in Sony's very expensive digital viewfinder for its NEX range of cameras. If Sony go that route, it'll be very niche. They need a cheaper solution. Oculus Rift's approach is to mount a larger (7") screen from a tablet and use optics to turn it into a stereoscopic display. This would be by far the cheaper option. I presume that approach is going to be guarded by patents though.

Although they've recently announced the HMZ-T3, having a competing technology would appear weird...
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/sony-new-hmz-t3-head-mounted-display-wireless-hands-on/

Looking around the web, the HMZ-T2 was shown at TGS 2012... maybe this device is simply the HMZ-T3?

2014: the year VR is reborn and commercial Space flights take off. Quite a promising year. ;)

I would pay up to double for that :oops:

I think they can make it work pretty well with the current performance, as long as they go the single screen OR route.

Edit: Look at the instant reaction to this news :) This is the true next gen draw. But we all knew that from OR impressions from both casual and hardcore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although they've recently announced the HMZ-T3, having a competing technology would appear weird...
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/sony-new-hmz-t3-head-mounted-display-wireless-hands-on/

Looking around the web, the HMZ-T2 was shown at TGS 2012... maybe this device is simply the HMZ-T3?

Your link is broken and shows the old T2-version.

Here is the new one.

edit: damn you Shifty!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back