News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
thuway & co say that: "The memory situation on PS4 is ideal and has exceeded expectations in every way."
Did you hear something similar (((interference)))?

I played final fantasy mmorpg on the xbox 360 without having gold.
That is only because sony put it's foot down and required that FFXI be on sony servers and would only release it if gold was not required.

Otherwise it never would have come to 360.

There aren't many developers that would tell MS to F off.

First playable PS4's in the UK at the Eurogamer Expo.

Some of the playable games:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
Batman: Arkham Origins
Battlefield 4
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Dark Souls 2
Democracy 3
Doctor Kvorak
Droid Assault
Duel of Champions
FIFA 14
Frozen Endzone
Infinite Crisis
Injustice: Gods Among Us
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Need for Speed: Rivals
Payday 2
PES 2014
Prison Architect
Redshirt
Rocksmith
SteamSaga: Cerulia
Stronghold: Crusader 2
The Crew
The Elder Scrolls Online
The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot
The Room 2
Ultratron
War for the Overworld
Wolfenstein: The New Order

Sounds pretty cool!

That is only because sony put it's foot down and required that FFXI be on sony servers and would only release it if gold was not required.

Otherwise it never would have come to 360.

There aren't many developers that would tell MS to F off.

I assume that was a typo and you meant SQUARE-ENIX?

All the memory is virtual, except maybe for some kernel allocated bounce buffers for IO.

And I'd be very surprised if any of the new consoles would use paging.

How you would use memory mapped files without paging?
Of course, you might love using fseek/fread all times, but on a 64 bit system mmaps are... quite easier to use and much faster.
And given one sports some winx variant and the other (likely) a BSD variant, it looks possible on both.

Paged memory could also be used to share code pages between the 'OS' and games. You could have games using networking, encryption, compression, etc., libraries that are also used by OS apps, with the same memory pages shared across the system.

And, yes, mmap is really great, too. ;-)

http://realgamernewz.com/15258/rgn-...-sku-info-here-ps4s-real-drm-details-and-more
We can also tell you that Sony PS4 will keep its word on DRM when it comes to 1st party games, but is offering a tiered DRM system to third party publishers with high cost allowing them to place something similar to the Online Pass EA retired recently and even beyond that at higher tiers. Sony’s ‘DRM-free’ announcement at E3 2013 was only referring to Sony 1st party published games and will not apply to any third party titles which opt in to the DRM program Sony is offering, at a price

http://realgamernewz.com/15258/rgn-...-sku-info-here-ps4s-real-drm-details-and-more
We can also tell you that Sony PS4 will keep its word on DRM when it comes to 1st party games, but is offering a tiered DRM system to third party publishers with high cost allowing them to place something similar to the Online Pass EA retired recently and even beyond that at higher tiers. Sony’s ‘DRM-free’ announcement at E3 2013 was only referring to Sony 1st party published games and will not apply to any third party titles which opt in to the DRM program Sony is offering, at a price

Although at first glance it sounds like Sony is "backtracking", but after careful thought it sounds pretty consumer friendly to me under the given circumstances.

Sony essentially cannot control what business model third parties want to do. Banning such things will hurt relationships with third parties and make negotiations and cooperation with different business models more difficult.

They can only negotiate terms with third party developers, and such a tiered DRM system looks like a way to "allow what these third parties to do what they really want to do", but at the same time imposing a strong deterrent so third parties will have a strong incentive to keep stuff as DRM-free as possible, which in most cases is a good thing for consumers.

I'd say nice call from Sony to allow choice to developers while trying to not hurt consumers at the same time.

Sony stated earlier during E3, and Tretton reiterated in his different interviews, including one with Geoff Keighley status post Sony's E3 press conference, that Sony doesn't plan to implement any DRM in their own titles.

Sony and Tretton also added that they won't prescribe any DRM or lack thereof on third party titles, and will allow third parties to determine what DRM policies they will apply for their own titles.

It can't be backtracking if that's what they stated up front. At least Sony can impress the ones paying attention to the details :)

You can view said interview with Geoff Keighley on Gametrailers here: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ulnvnz/playstation-4-e3-2013--jack-tretton-drops-the-mic

Sony stated earlier during E3, and Tretton reiterated in his different interviews, including one with Geoff Keighley status post Sony's E3 press conference, that Sony doesn't plan to implement any DRM in their own titles.

Cool, so I will be able to back up my PS4 games!?

Cool, so I will be able to back up my PS4 games!?
DRM isn't the same thing as copy/counterfeit protection. I expect PS4 game discs will be as easy/hard to duplicate as PS3 game discs.

While not exactly the same thing, disc protection is DRM. By definition.
Context trumps semantics.

In the context of this fiasco, the term DRM (or Online DRM for the purists) is used specifically to make it distinct from Physical Copy Protection. Nobody calls cryptography-based disc copy protection a DRM scheme because the right to use the product is unmanaged (the M in DRM) and cannot be revoked. The basis of discussion has always been the DRM applied to the use of the product, not on copying.

PS4 & Vita Bundle

PS4 & Vita Bundle:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-releasing-playstation-4-vita-bundle-for-500-report-6412555

Thought this would be interesting news and belong in this thread.

I think that would be a great bundle and great system (console & portable) seller. Great way to fight both Nintendo (3DS - biggest seller) and MS (360/One - Next) at the same time.

If true I would go for it. I wonder what the Vita costs to build now? Or by the end of the year?

PS4 & Vita Bundle:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-releasing-playstation-4-vita-bundle-for-500-report-6412555

Thought this would be interesting news and belong in this thread.

I think that would be a great bundle and great system (console & portable) seller. Great way to fight both Nintendo (3DS - biggest seller) and MS (360/One - Next) at the same time.

If true I would go for it. I wonder what the Vita costs to build now? Or by the end of the year?

MS will likely offer a XB1 and PC bundle sometime in the near future, I got my third 360 that way. Interesting thing was the laptop was defective and I had an extended warranty so 9 months later I bought a Sony laptop which included a free VITA. :cool: I expect both Sony and MS to try and bundle their platforms to increase install base should the need arise.

Now if Nintendo would ever figure this out and partner with a PC manufacturer I might eventually own a 3DS or WiiU.... :devilish:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back