News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this still all based on the old killzone slide or is there actually some credible evidence to support this claim("sources" does not count as credible).

It's from current PS4 developer documentation, apparently confirmed by various insiders.

What are you batting, zero? There is a reason you don't play this game with your account at Gaf, mods ban anyone who cannot validate their info.

There isn't a game. I don't post on gaf because I would expose the person who tells me information or be banned. I wont get a friend in trouble. I could care less about my gaf account, infact its banned right now !

I try to pass whatever I hear forward and I don't try and force anything down your throat. You can believe me or not.

But look at it this way.

Paying for Live was looked down on as a negative all last generation. Now your required to buy PSN to play online and all of the sudden no on talks about it.

Why was reserving 3 gigs for os and app switching so horrible that people were upset and now Sony is reserving even more and people justify it and move on.

Why is Cboat a huge hero but he didn't know about the 8 gigs of ram in the ps4 and even last night he was saying nothing about the 4.5 gigs reserved in the ps4.

Why are the negative MS rumors , speculation and facts met with such Love while any news positive for the xbox one is dismissed or people say wait for the other shoe to drop or when someone tries to pass along what information they are hearing they are attacked ?

Why does this double standard exist.

Last night when news broke on this I speculated on 3 things that could be going on. All 3 of them are rumors / information I had heard and thus I speculated that it could be one of those things. People called me out on it when apparently it turned out to be nothing but now its turned out to be something and one of the things I posted was pretty spot on.

So okay you think I'm batting zero . Lets see what else I've heard is on point. We will know soon enough.

I'm just a non-industry guy on a forum throwing ideas out there after thinking about it for 5 minutes. Sony must have thought about this longer than 5 minutes. If they reserved 2.5 GB of RAM for the system side, then they must have had a good reason and it will be explained sometime probably soon. Now, maybe you won't be happy with the final answer, but I imagine it is at least a well thought out plan.

Its for feature parity.

A lot of core gamers may not like the focus MS has on tv but casuals I've talked to seem to love it and MS has been talking for years about how many people use their 360 for more than gaming.

Sony needs to be able to replicate many of the features of the xbox one or else it will get left behind by the casuals .

I think we all understand RAM quantities and services, thank you very much. What we don't understand is what features, even in the future, will need s much RAM. If someone could even just explain, "we're thinking maybe this or that will happen," to justify it, it'd make some sense. Instead we've got a shrug of the shoulders and a 'who knows', which shows a lack of sensible design. Hell, we're talking about moving everything to the cloud over the coming years! Why do we need a gig of RAM sitting idle awaiting the next 3D Facebook interface that may never happen, when in reality that future will be streamed from the internet as an HTML5 video feed?

I want to know what was said in that meeting when it was decided to allocate 1 GB of RAM just in case.

People are thinking about this system reserved space as purely for the "LOCAL" system .. What if it will be used for other devices that can be connected to the console in the future i.e. like glasses for instances, 4 of them, rendering will be done locally and transferred to these devices im guessing (as an example).

BTW XB1 can have up to 16 smart glass devices I believe connected at once, or so the specs I read (I need to find the link)

edit: found the link "support up to 16 SmartGlass connections on a single unit" - http://www.oxm.co.uk/57852/features/smartglass-on-xbox-one-nine-reasons-you-shouldnt-miss-it/

There isn't a game. I don't post on gaf because I would expose the person who tells me information or be banned. I wont get a friend in trouble. I could care less about my gaf account, infact its banned right now !

I try to pass whatever I hear forward and I don't try and force anything down your throat. You can believe me or not.

But look at it this way.

Paying for Live was looked down on as a negative all last generation. Now your required to buy PSN to play online and all of the sudden no on talks about it.

Why was reserving 3 gigs for os and app switching so horrible that people were upset and now Sony is reserving even more and people justify it and move on.

Why is Cboat a huge hero but he didn't know about the 8 gigs of ram in the ps4 and even last night he was saying nothing about the 4.5 gigs reserved in the ps4.

Why are the negative MS rumors , speculation and facts met with such Love while any news positive for the xbox one is dismissed or people say wait for the other shoe to drop or when someone tries to pass along what information they are hearing they are attacked ?

Why does this double standard exist.

Last night when news broke on this I speculated on 3 things that could be going on. All 3 of them are rumors / information I had heard and thus I speculated that it could be one of those things. People called me out on it when apparently it turned out to be nothing but now its turned out to be something and one of the things I posted was pretty spot on.

So okay you think I'm batting zero . Lets see what else I've heard is on point. We will know soon enough.

I think Microsoft is universally hated for some cardinal sin they cannot wash away. And the only reason the Xbox and Xbox 360 were unscathed is because I honestly believe people didn't associate the Xbox with Microsoft. It's the only reasonable answer I can come up with.

Very disappointing news. PS4 was the only console that seem focus on gaming. Now they are reserving 44% for system resources for whatever. Just unbelievable these systems are so underpowered.

I just going to have to build a new PC. The consoles have really turn into the gaming ghetto. You can buy laptops at best buy today that just walk all over these consoles.

Really hope these reports are wrong... wow...

The games themselves are the limiter. Yes, even on PC. And as said many times, it's a launch window reservation for launch window games. As long as devs are happy now and more ram gets freed up later it's all good and nothing to get worked up over.

The games themselves are the limiter. Yes, even on PC. And as said many times, it's a launch window reservation for launch window games. As long as devs are happy now and more ram gets freed up later it's all good and nothing to get worked up over.

Well most games are still being ported to ps360. Of course devs are happy. I do not want 44% of the ram reserved so someone can check twitter while gaming or whatever nonsense.

Ram[Gddr5] was the only thing that put ps4 above PC games[most are 32bit] right now. Now about half is reserved for facebook or whatever the ps4 is nothing special.

1. Can Sony even produce devkits that have more than 8GB of GDDR5 in it? Can 256bit APU memory controller even support more [more than 16 512MB chips]? So far I've never heard any leak of devkit with more than 8GB of ram.

2. Where are developers currently placing their game debug tools? Are they placing them inside of 4.5GB of game ram, 2.5GB "OS partition" or in 1GB "Cache" ? How much ram can they "waste" on those tools now?

If Sony physically cant provide dedicated ram for hosting dev tools now, I think that in a year of two when they get their hands on 1GB chips OS/Cache reservation situation will change.

I saw the same speculation over at GAF, that part of the reservation might be due to a lack of devkits with enough ram to host the dev tools alongside the kind of game that would otherwise stretch out on a system with 8GB.

It seems to me that using a lot of system ram for services, gameplay streaming, instant app switching and especially HDD/BDR pre-fetch could make the overall system a lot nicer to use than it would be otherwise. We'll just have to see how the systems shake out.

Well most games are still being ported to ps360. Of course devs are happy. I do not want 44% of the ram reserved so someone can check twitter while gaming or whatever nonsense.

Ram[Gddr5] was the only thing that put ps4 above PC games[most are 32bit] right now. Now about half is reserved for facebook or whatever the ps4 is nothing special.

I know you're hyperboling a bit for effect with your last sentence there, but if 1.5 gb is freed up for devs by 2015 PS4 becomes special again..? Too late, you threw them under the bus already :LOL:

I'm not a games dev but after reading B3D for a while, 5+ GB is plenty for any modern streaming/virtual texture based engine. And at 176gb/s bandwidth, amounts above 5.5gb wouldn't suddenly unlock massive gaming potential.

No one thought it would be 512MB, most people thought 1GB-2GB tops. Vita's OS can run multiple apps and switch between game and apps and the OS only uses 256MB of RAM AFAIK.

Yeah, and that's like 50% of Vita's main RAM right (IIRC it has 512 of main and 128 of VRAM?)

It's kind of all relative, you're pointing at a system in Vita using a larger percentage of it's memory for OS than PS4/XBO.

It is I guess "interesting" the huge amounts reserved for OS RAM recently. 3DS (this is the only one I cant remember details on, but I think it's a lot), Vita, XBO, PS4, and Wii U are all using extremely large percentages, and those are all the latest systems.

It sounds to me like both PS4 and XBO can get 1-1.5GB back eventually (1GB "in limbo" on XBO), and may end up eventually with 6-6.5GB for games, which really isn't bad. Especially compared to last gen and given that both systems likely targeted 4GB of RAM at one point.

Look at the bright side, the switch to 8GB on both systems (if you dont know, insiders say XBO went to 8GB only in late 2011) allowed them to have over 4-5GB for games plus GB's for OS use. Would have been much different at 4GB, where even limited to a paltry 512MB OS you have only 3.5GB for games.

Now now, concentrate on that 50% more GPU ALU's, that faster unified RAM, and console (pun intended?) yourself :p

And yeah, most PC games are 32 bit and limited to 2GB right? Here you've got 5GB to play with. That's a huge increase. Honestly these consoles are RAM-overspecced (which is good though, I recall Crytek saying RAM is always the biggest limiter)

I think Microsoft is universally hated for some cardinal sin they cannot wash away.

No they are untrusted by people with a memory and who aren't invested in the MS ecosystem if that is what it is called. I could go on but I don't want to get pulled off topic. Maybe somebody should spawn a topic about the "airing of grievances in defense of MS" kinda like in Festivus :LOL: (Seinfeld reference I can never tell if anybody will get those anymore:???:)

And at 176gb/s bandwidth, amounts above 5.5gb wouldn't suddenly unlock massive gaming potential.

hey no room for common sense, console wars are serious business. ;) People have been deluding themselves for months about this os reserve with 1gb expectations ...

hey no room for common sense, console wars are serious business. ;) People have been deluding themselves for months about this os reserve with 1gb expectations ...

Well according to another rumor all the OS stuff, switching, dvr stuff is 1.5 gigs. 1 Gig reserved for future use and another reserved gig that could be accessible "if the dev needs it" so really 7 wasn't a crazy idea ... off by 500 mb or so from that perspective ;)

No no no. We know the PS4 is using 3.5GB all for facebook. I'm canceling my preorder. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should seek more info about the "flexible" 1GB, and the 1GB that is supposedly not yet used? There's a ridiculous number of post from people who act as if they understand everything about the PS4 memory, but the fact is we need much more data than we currently have, so it's still speculation time. Speculation is fun.

Maybe Sony is being conservative? Maybe Sony's implementation of trust zone is not as light as one would expect? That little A5 maybe the heart of the system but other components may lay under a second secured OS where some portion of the gDDR5 is partitioned away from the normal OS.

Aren't we looking at a device with a forward thinking design suited for parallel computing? Why pick AMD otherwise? Just to be cheap? You don't need Sea Island or Onion+ for a cheap apu. How much experience does Sony have with designing an x86 OS based on the current paradigm, nevermind a OS suited to take full advantage of parallel computing.

Things like transactional memory requires a larger memory footprint, you duplicating data to provide a roll back mechanism.

I imagine Sony is being cautious because it stepping into a space that relatively unexplored. Most of what's being implemented is straight out the academic and commercial research field.

I think it's obvious that they're being conservative. They dropped the PS3's OS from 120MB to 50MB, I imagine that they'll free up at least another 1GB when it's really needed.
It's not like we were far off. Speaking for myself, I was expecting 1GB, but 2GB to be conservative. If this is indeed true, it's 1.5GB for the OS with 1GB reserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back