News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wireless keyboard and mouse for apps that would need them. Sitting on the couch while editing your summer vacation photos, videos with the wife or husband doesn't sound to bad to me. You can switch over to your favorite TV show when it's on, or watch a movie and then jump into a game when your spouse goes to sleep . Sounds like a terrible experience no one would ever try because tablets.
Photo editing at a distance won't ever be as comfortable as up close on a monitor or tablet. We also all have PCs for that which already have software and drivers. It's redundant. Now if the console provides a unique and valuable interface, like Kinect seeing people swiping photos in and out, smart-selecting elements of components for compositing, etc., there may be something in that, but realistically that's wishful thinking until someone actually shows something. I find it hard to believe that Sony (and MS) have secretly been working on cutting-edge, new-wave, consumer-friendly productivity apps for their new consoles that they'll wow the world with. Realistically, any degree of photo editing will be simple crop, rotate, special effect app that doesn't need GBs to operate in (only complex, high-res, layered image editing needs that much). And as I say, all that's surely moving to the cloud? You'll take photos, upload them to some site or other, and edit using a web interface to the cloud processing.

If the best explanation for the consoles reserving GBs of RAM for OS is, "they're going to do everything your PC will, only without the drivers and software, and you'll need to buy a KB+M," I consider that argument lost. ;)

Actually 4.5GB and a flexible 1GB, when available. That's still a lot for games.

In fact I don't think it's a very big problem because launch titles (especially multi-platform titles) can work very well with 4.5~5 GB of RAM.

In the future, PS4 can still change the priority of RAM usage. For example, if some one runs an app, then all apps can occupy 3.5 GB, but when playing a PS4 game then system only reserves 1.5~2 GB for OS and other apps.OS itself is not so large, so we just need to decrease the number of apps in the background when playing PS4 game. Now PS4 only gives 4.5 GB for games and 3.5 GB for apps and OS just because XB1 provides too many features and it's safer to keep the same amount of RAM at first.

Did the X360 OS stay the same in terms of memory footprint? Seems like MS's approach is to reserve a predetermined amount and not change it, while Sony reduced the PS3's OS from 120MB to 50MB. Probably just playing it safe as some people thought before. Still, 2.5-3.5GB seems like a lot. Devs don't seem to be complaining so I don't think it will be a big deal, especially in the first year or so. Hopefully Sony can free up another GB or so.

Did the X360 OS stay the same in terms of memory footprint? Seems like MS's approach is to reserve a predetermined amount and not change it, while Sony reduced the PS3's OS from 120MB to 50MB. Probably just playing it safe as some people thought before. Still, 2.5-3.5GB seems like a lot. Devs don't seem to be complaining so I don't think it will be a big deal, especially in the first year or so. Hopefully Sony can free up another GB or so.

MS went low on 360 at 32MB. They were stuck with odd lower resolution system graphics, but more memory available for games.

We still don't have the complete picture about what the OS actually does. What features are supported, it's likely that the HD video recording is going to require a pretty big buffer, background game cache and apps cache.

It's still seems like a pretty big reserve but until we get the complete picture, hopefully more at gamescon, it's comforting to know that this time around Sony are being careful about making sure they have the resources to support the features that are missing from the PS3.

Well. Point is, do we need all apps to multitask? When I'm gaming, I'm gaming. I'd need maybe to look at a guide at most, don't let more than 2-3 tabs if a game is running. Streaming apps need very little resources, keep them in memory. For bigger apps, I can afford to shut down my game, then give the app all the GB it needs, let me open 35 tabs on the browser, and tell me that they'll be shut down when I'm gaming. This is beyond wasteful.

I'm sure Sony will release back some of this. I think they need to give apps a memory limit, those which want to multitask. Those which needs more mem, they don't need to multitask with the game. I can take screenshots, and after a while, I can quit the game and start the picture editor which doesn't need to multitask, let that editor have all the ram it needs. I can afford to quit a game to get that functionality. I don't see any serious PC player that runs Crysis AND fires up photoshop at the same time anyway. Why should a console player expect that?

And you can have very serious apps, that simply doesn't multitask, on the PS4, using every bit of mem instead.

Whatever Sony's plans with the non-game functions of PS4, it should keep in mind we don't need to run everything all the time.

As later in the thread on neogaf says its just details on the bus's and how the devices access the ram.

Nothing negative.

D. None of the above.

East, you really must try harder...

My source told me 2 gigs. Its interesting that its even more . But as I told others he doesn't work on the ps4 port , he is purely working on a one port.

I'm not sure what you guys were thinking. Sony said they would have instant game switching to apps just like ms . Assuming 512 megs for the OS and no system reserve how does a sub 100mb/s hardrive instantly restore a 7.5 gig game to ram ? Its not going to happen.

Last gen MS had a 32 mb OS and Sony started off with what 96 megs or was it even higher ? Did you really expect them to hit feature parity or close to it with such a small OS foot print ? Last gen the OS was much larger and didn't even have feature parity !

Now lets see how many other things I was told were right

I think it makes more sense for MS to go multitasking crazy with their kinect setup. Being able to launch heftier, prettier, more functional apps at any time is worth a few GB of RAM for both I think.

There could be game specific apps to sneak some memory back, where significant parts of the game are app side. Like inventory systems and world maps that you can flip to in-game, or out.

My source told me 2 gigs. Its interesting that its even more . But as I told others he doesn't work on the ps4 port , he is purely working on a one port.

I'm not sure what you guys were thinking. Sony said they would have instant game switching to apps just like ms . Assuming 512 megs for the OS and no system reserve how does a sub 100mb/s hardrive instantly restore a 7.5 gig game to ram ? Its not going to happen.

Last gen MS had a 32 mb OS and Sony started off with what 96 megs or was it even higher ? Did you really expect them to hit feature parity or close to it with such a small OS foot print ? Last gen the OS was much larger and didn't even have feature parity !

Now lets see how many other things I was told were right
To be clear, I never doubted that it would be 2GB (that is the upper range of where I thought it would be) I just doubted that the info would be in regards to how much RAM the OS would take up.

No one thought it would be 512MB, most people thought 1GB-2GB tops. Vita's OS can run multiple apps and switch between game and apps and the OS only uses 256MB of RAM AFAIK. The fact that the PS4 doesn't have multiple OSs, and that the original rumor was 512MB when it was 4GB of GDDR5, I thought they would reserve 2GB tops to be safe.

Photo editing at a distance won't ever be as comfortable as up close on a monitor or tablet. We also all have PCs for that which already have software and drivers. It's redundant. Now if the console provides a unique and valuable interface, like Kinect seeing people swiping photos in and out, smart-selecting elements of components for compositing, etc., there may be something in that, but realistically that's wishful thinking until someone actually shows something. I find it hard to believe that Sony (and MS) have secretly been working on cutting-edge, new-wave, consumer-friendly productivity apps for their new consoles that they'll wow the world with. Realistically, any degree of photo editing will be simple crop, rotate, special effect app that doesn't need GBs to operate in (only complex, high-res, layered image editing needs that much). And as I say, all that's surely moving to the cloud? You'll take photos, upload them to some site or other, and edit using a web interface to the cloud processing.

If the best explanation for the consoles reserving GBs of RAM for OS is, "they're going to do everything your PC will, only without the drivers and software, and you'll need to buy a KB+M," I consider that argument lost. ;)

I'm just a non-industry guy on a forum throwing ideas out there after thinking about it for 5 minutes. Sony must have thought about this longer than 5 minutes. If they reserved 2.5 GB of RAM for the system side, then they must have had a good reason and it will be explained sometime probably soon. Now, maybe you won't be happy with the final answer, but I imagine it is at least a well thought out plan.

We need to be clear here:

1) (Total RAM - Game RAM) != OS RAM.
2) Game RAM = Total RAM - System Reserved RAM.
and most importantly
3) System Reserved RAM != OS RAM.

Or in English, the OS does not take up 2.5GB-3.5GB. The OS takes up whatever it takes (I would guess 512MB or less), and the system keeps some RAM for apps in memory for instant switching.

And to be honest, we should have seen this coming. You can't instantly swap between two games on a ~100MB hard drive and fill 7GB of memory. That's not instant, that's a least 70 seconds! Even at 4.5GB, you're talking about 45 seconds, again, not instant.

To be clear, I never doubted that it would be 2GB (that is the upper range of where I thought it would be) I just doubted that the info would be in regards to how much RAM the OS would take up.

No one thought it would be 512MB, most people thought 1GB-2GB tops. Vita's OS can run multiple apps and switch between game and apps and the OS only uses 256MB of RAM AFAIK. The fact that the PS4 doesn't have multiple OSs, and that the original rumor was 512MB when it was 4GB of GDDR5, I thought they would reserve 2GB tops to be safe.

Vita OS + apps uses 256MB, not just the Vita OS. And honestly, anyone who's recently used a PS3 or Xbox 360 knows how mother f$(#)ing slow it is to quit a game to start an app. Even going back to the dashboard is 15-20 seconds.

Very disappointing news. PS4 was the only console that seem focus on gaming. Now they are reserving 44% for system resources for whatever. Just unbelievable these systems are so underpowered.

I just going to have to build a new PC. The consoles have really turn into the gaming ghetto. You can buy laptops at best buy today that just walk all over these consoles.

Really hope these reports are wrong... wow...

Is this still all based on the old killzone slide or is there actually some credible evidence to support this claim("sources" does not count as credible).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back